2006 MotoGP Predictions thread | FerrariChat

2006 MotoGP Predictions thread

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by white_fly, Jan 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Well, it's that time of year again. With post-season shuffling pretty much done and testing going on in Sepang, it is possible to make some guesses that aren't completely unfounded. It is also possible to make some that do fit that bill without anyone noticing :) To help start this off, I have a few questions I'd like to get everyone's opinion about.

How many times will Rossi not win?
    How many times will an American win?
    Will Honda or Ducati be the "best of the rest" as far as the rider's championship is concerned?
    Who will be rookie of the year?
    Will Sete be able to wage psychological warfare succesfully?

2. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    To answer Paul's question from the '05 thread, I think Capirossi will improve on this year's points results but still only rack up a few podiums. Gibernau and Capirossi should be a very strong combination helping in the development and testing besides the racing itself. Gibernau beat Capirossi by less than two tenths of a second yesterday and Capirossi beat him the day before by three tenths, so it would seem to me that they will should have some good battles through the year, hopefully with both of them coming out better for it. All that said, Ducati is going to do awesome this year.

Rossi will win the championship again for sure. However, I think there will be more than five races that he won't be the winner of. Edwards will perform marginally better than last year and be a good #2 man on the Yamaha squad.

De Puniet's time yesterday is outstanding and a huge improvement on yesterday. I'm sure my opinion will mature, but I think he and Kawasaki will be running only a short distance behind the big dogs.

Hopkins will only do as well as the bike he rides will allow and that will probably mean continued disappointing results. He will almost certainly outshine Vermuelen.

Hayden will lead Honda admirably this year with both Biaggi and Gibernau gone. I think he'll win two races and podium for several more. Most of the newcomers at Honda will be on and off. However, Dani Pedrosa is a very mature rider and has already assumed his position on Hayden's hind and will most likely remain there, perhaps coming to be his equal by the end of the season.

Team KR might actually have some good results, possibly even a podium this year.

3. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    That would be great to see Duc in the hunt. I'm not an expert on the sport, but from what I saw last year Hayden and Milandri are the two rising stars and have a great rivalry which to me is more interesting that Rossi winning every race, every single way. Domination is never good, no matter how well earned it is.

4. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Second day test results in, see the Roadracing world site. What is there, but not shown, is that Kenny Roberts was 14th with a brand new bike. His Dad got a Honda deal. If he's got a decent motor, and I suspect he does, he could be someone to contend with. I don't see him winning the championship this year though.

The Suzukis were about where they were last year, middle of the pack. The Ducatis were the fastest bikes, with guess who the fastest on the second day? Sete.....! I think that he's up for the championship this year, but if it isn't him, then Rossi. I don't think Nicky's going to win a single race (maybe Laguna). Melandri will win all the races that Honda wins. Rossi is still the favorite, but it is his last year.

Anybody going to Jerez? I'm thinking about it.

Art

5. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Well, Art, interesting stuff. What do you think Rossi wil be doing after he pulls out of MotoGP. I knew about the KR engine deal which is why I said what I did. With the KTM engine of last year, there was just no chance which was really a shame.

I'm surprised you think Sete could win the championship. After all, he finished 7th in the championship last year. I really think without Biaggi and Gibernau Honda is going to focus on making a bike that suis Nikki and because of that he will almost certainly do well. I'm also surprised how confident you are in Melandri. He head a great season and is a fantastic rider, but I don't know about him winning all the races Honda will win, especially with Pedrosa joining the ranks.

6. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Choptop will be the darkhorse winner of the US GP at Laguna Seca after qualifying for a wildcard grid position on his highly modified YSR 50.

Highlights of the race will include hitting Rossi's kill switch during a daring outside pass in the entrance to the Corkscrew and heavily groping the trophy girls during the podium celebrations.

:D

7. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Actually, Nicky has been looking more and more comfortable on the bike. Early last year he could get near the front, but you could tell he was pushing. Later in the year, he was getting up front, but riding MUCH smoother.

Smooth = fast

if he can keep it up, he has some podium chances, and will likely win a race to two. He just needs some breaks... someone to crash out, not crashing out himself.

I dont think this is his BIG year thtough. Give him another year or so.

Rossi? just the most natural rider on the track right now. Complete command of the bike, and the racing situation. Amazing.

8. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I watched Melandri & Nicky at Valencia & Laguna, had a front row seat, so to speak. At Valencia, Melandri just drove away from him. He did that when his split times for the straight away (yep, I was in the Honda pits) were slower than Nicky's (Nicky was pulling him on the straight away). So Melandri was riding a bit harder than Nicky there. At Laguna, it was the first time Melandri had run there, Nicky had won one or two superbike races there in the past, so, given the limited time Melandri had there, you can't make that comparison. That's why I think Melandri is the better of the two.

As for Sete, look at the times in Malasia this week. Obviously Ducati has their act together, but note one thing: This is his 1st time on the bike, and he's the fastest guy there???? If the Ducati holds it's promise, he's going to be a contender, wait and see.

As for Roberts, to go motogp.com, read the article on him. With the new Honda engine, watch for KR's team to do very well.

I did note that Hopkins speed is now 5th, so we'll have to see. From what I've heard, Suzuki hasn't caught up yet.

Art

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If this is Vale's last year, he'll want to go out on top and as such he'll win the championship easily.

Fighting for the scraps that fall off Vale's table will be the Ducati and Honda boys. If Bridgestone produces a good tire Ducati should have the advantage.
    This is where the true drama lies.

First race will be interesting-Vale won the championship last year on the last corner of the last lap of the first race-Sete received a psychological "beatdown" that he never recovered from.

Can't wait!!!!

10. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    the 2005 MotoGP dvd is out..but I think only in PAL right now, cant wait for NTSC

11. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
  12. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Jeff Hagan has ordered it. He'll be showing it as soon as he gets it, just got a 42" Plasma. If you'd like to see it, drop me a PM.

Art

13. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    What I'd like to see and what will happen are two different things...I pretty much agree with fly but I'm still going to be cheering for Hayden every time I watch. I just don't think anyone can top Rossi over the course of the season...he'll win the championship and then move to Ferrari where he'll run mid-pack or worse (memories of Michael Andretti and McLaren come to mind).

Larry

14. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    42 inch?

Bad Ninja Movie out of audio sync laugh: "Baaaaahahahahhahahahaa.... I laugh at your 42 inch!!!!"

60inch HDTV baby.

but yes, lets have a viewing !!!!

MotoGP F-Chat pre-season party... all for it.

where/when?

I can deal with 42inch plasma, if there's lots of free booze :D

15. findtrackdays

findtrackdays Rookie

Jan 13, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael N.
    Valentino will again win the championship - unless he gets hurt. It will be good racing up front, and I not think he will be able to walk away from the front as he has done in the past.

As for the rest, I think it will be very good running between Gibernau, Hayden, Edwards, and Melandri.

I'll put some money down on seeing Vermulen take his ride to the box at least once too... I'll donate $50 to Racing 2 Save Lives if I'm wrong, and you donate $50 to a charity of your choice if I'm right. Any takers?

Final Results for 2006
    1 - Rossi
    2 - Hayden
    3 - Melandri
    4 - Gibernau
    5 - Edwards

8- Vermulen

Americans will win 3 races, Honda will be the "best of the rest".

Mike

16. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Does anyone think Rossi could eventually come to Ducati? And does anubody think that Ducati will eventually be able to win a MotoGP championship? Is MV Agusta planning to come back to MotoGP?

17. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Here are the results for the last day of testing:

Sepang Test – Day 3
    Unofficial Times
    1. Sete Gibernau(Ducati Marlboro) - 2’01.03
    2. Loris Capirossi (Ducati Marlboro) - 2’01.08
    3. Marco Melandri (Fortuna Honda) - 2’01.09
    4. Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda) - 2’01.51
    5. Valentino Rossi (Camel Yamaha) - 2’01.601
    6. Nicky Hayden (Repsol Honda) - 2’01.69
    7. Shinya Nakano (Kawasaki Racing) - 2’01.79
    8. Randy de Puniet (Kawasaki Racing) - 2’02.18
    9. Toni Elías (Fortuna Honda) - 2’02.23
    10. Chris Vermeulen (Suzuki MotoGP) - 2’02.37
    11. Colin Edwards (Camel Yamaha) - 2’02.45
    12. John Hopkins (Suzuki MotoGP) - 2’02.50
    13. Casey Stoner (LCR Honda) - 2’02.67
    14. Alex Hofmann (D’Antin Ducati) - 2’03.20
    15. Kenny Roberts jr. (KR Honda) - 2’03.45
    16. Shinichi Itoh (Ducati- Bridgestone) - 2’03.72
    17. James Ellison (Yamaha Tech 3) - 2’04.12
    18. Jose Luis Cardoso (D’Antin Ducati) - 2’04.30
    19. Naoki Matsudo (Kawasaki Racing) - 2’05.48

Art

18. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    I'll bet Biaggi wont make the top 10....;)

19. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Rossi to win the championship this year again. Like I said at the beginning of last year, watch out for Melandri, the next rising star.

20. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    And you would win that bet if you met someone else who's been living under a rock. Biaggi will not be riding in MotoGP this year.

Ducati just proved day 2 wasn't a fluke and is really doing well. Melandri also showed some serious pace and the .06 that separated him from the #1 spot could have changed with a little help from the win and in my mind there were three riders in the top spot. This bodes well for an exciting season and I really hope Ducati can set the world on fire.

On another note, I almost feel like Hopper should try to get a BSB or WSBK rider until he can get a competitive ride in MotoGP. Getting injured riding for Suzuki is really killing his career.

21. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    Just playing. I wonder how he will do WSB.
    That series is going to be great this year.
    I hope Bayliss can Win a few.

22. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    You better believe it. I'm thinking about replacing my F1 viewing with BSB.

23. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    John just replaced his one year deal with a 2 year deal. Changed management team, and the new team got him more money, but he signed for 2 years with Suzuki, and is named their number 1 rider. I think that it was a huge mistake, and when he realizes that he's just signed on to a 2 year deal, when the wave of replacements is coming next year, he'll be stuck with that piece of junk, which will show enough to cause him to continue to ride it 110%, and make frequent trips to see Ting in fremont, ca.

Same management team has Stoner, who got the Honda ride.

I'd watch for KRJR this year. It looks like he's going to be near the front with his new package, and that will make John crazy, watch and see.

BTW: have you ever gone to KR's web page? If you do, take a look at the lower right hand side of the page, and see if the Robert's Chronicles are there. Episode 3 talks about his 1st race. What he doesn't mention is that he lost out to that guy on the street bike at the end. Guess who that was? The race was at Vacaville, California in 1970, and the street bike was a Honda CB750 (single cam), which incidently got 2nd in the AFM Open Production class that year, with me on it.

http://www.teamkr.com/

Art

24. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    You never know who you're rubbing shoulders with on FChat, eh? That pretty cool stuff, Art. Now would be a good time to say that I have great respect for you, even if I don't share all your opinions.

Anyway, Sepang Day 3 showed that Day 2 was not a fluke for Ducati and they are going to be a force to contend with this season. I didn't think any other results were noteworthy, really. I wonder if Rossi will have a bit more to contend with when compared to last year. Kawasaki said Nakano ran a faster time than any of the official measurements indicated, but I'm not sure if this isn't a bunch of smoke and mirrors. In any case, the Kawasakis will probably be closer to the front than last year.

25. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    AND BIMOTA IS GOING RACING! This is awesome news by me even if they won't be at the sharp end of the grid. A legendary make is back at the pinnacle of motorcycle racing. Here's the grid:

5. Colin Edwards Camel Yamaha

6. Makoto Tamada JiR Konica Minolta Honda

10. Kenny Roberts Jr Team Roberts

15. Sete Gibernau Ducati Marlboro

17. Randy de Puniet Kawasaki Racing

21. John Hopkins Team Suzuki

24. Toni Elias Fortuna Honda

25. Jason Perez WCM-Bimota

26. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda

27. Casey Stoner Honda LCR

30. Jose Luis Cardoso d'Antin Pramac Ducati

33. Marco Melandri Fortuna Honda