328 Stereo and Tint | FerrariChat

328 Stereo and Tint

Discussion in '308/328' started by show time, Jan 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So I'm about to close the deal on a 1986 328-the stereo looks original (or at least a late 80's Alpine aftermarket) and the speakers look hacked into the doors and there is an aftermarket set of tweeters mounted in the foot well area.

My question would be if I replaced the deck and speakers, (possibly did some slight modification to the door panel) and tinted the windows would this be considered diminishing the value of the vehicle?

-Chris

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    328's were delivered without stereos, though they did have door speakers and tweeters already (though they were crap). If someone has already hacked up the doors for aftermarket speakers, then I would not worry about doing more. I'd skip the tint, but that's just my opinion. If the tint is permanent, it could definitely devalue the car quite a bit. Ferrari glass is very expensive.

Dave

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Probably not. The big thing is the general condition of the car and service history. When it comes time to sell, the final value will be based on the last time the belts were changed, not what radio you have.

4. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks dave...the door pannels are hacked..surface mount speakers...and come to think of it I'll point that out before we negociate the final price tomorrow.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I turned down several cars with cut-up door panels and dashes -- was looking for an original car without all the extra wiring and holes, and didn't want the hassle/expense of restoring the dash and door panels.

You can barely hear the audio system in these cars anyway.

I would price the car less for any significant interior modifications that aren't easy to reverse.

6. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Any idea on the cost of new door panels?

7. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    If the speakers were placed in the usual area, on the carpeted lower front area of the door panel, then it's not a problem. You can simply buy those small carpeted pieces and replace them. Voila! No holes, etc. I bought two factory original carpet pieces for that area earlier this year.
    Now, if the butchering was done on the leather door panel area....can't help you there.

8. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the info MARQ I guess thats less negociating power than I thought...

9. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Hey, he may not know that stuff is available. Go for it anyway. In your eyes he butchered the door panels.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Really?? Where and how much?

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Don't know, but I figured a $2K+ for disassembling the dash and doors, removing the aftermarket speakers, plugging the holes and re-covering with leather (doors) and vinyl (dash).

You would need to match the door panels to the car's interior, so if you wanted to be thorough and have only original holes in the door you could buy the panels off a wrecked 328 of the same year and get a leather guy to re-cover them.

If all of this sounds like a huge pain in the a$$, you understand why I just kept looking for an original car. I was lucky and ended up with a 328 that never had a radio installed - still has the factory blanking plate and stock speakers (former show car).

12. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #12 spiderseeker, Jan 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you buy a car with an aftermarket stereo and want to return it to stock- this is what you may have to remove, I did. Luckily NO extra holes though but it did take a weekend to remove it all (it had been professionally installed). Everything in the photo was for the stereo except for the black box- not sure what that is (lo-jack maybe?) it had no power running to it, looked ugly in the front grill , so I yanked it.
    Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    lol thanks steve, I spent about 8 years doing high-end custom audio, all types of high dollar vehicles and celeb cars. My main concern was the door panels, they were just rewraped along with the seats so all the leather matches, the speakers were mounted on the carpet section of the doors, this part I can even fab myself if needbe, but I'm sure it cant cost more then a few hundred for that part, maybe even less. Needless to say I wrote the check today and pick it up tomorrow...The newest owner has joined the ranks =)

14. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Congratulations!

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That might have been a remote antenna for a radar detector...

16. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    TY TY...I will pick it up after work tonight, and post some pics, how do you post pics on this forum I've never done that yet. Also I need the center AC vent, I did a search and found two part numbers for it, anyone know which one it is?

Thanks,
    Chris

17. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    I believe that there are two(2) separate vents for the AC,located in the lower center of the dash, there is a left and a right(might be the same part number/they sit side-by-side IIRC). I believe the part number is #60124302.