What brand of battery do you use in your 308/328? | FerrariChat

What brand of battery do you use in your 308/328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What brand of battery do you use in your 308/328?

1. Optima Red Top

2. Interstate

3. Sears / Die Hard

4. Other Optima

5. Other Type (Specify Below)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just trying to see how popular the Optima Red Tops really are!

2. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    The one that will start it. Sorry, not trying to be smart but just wanted to let you know I tried the Optimas a couple of times and did not have good luck with them. I see no reason to go out and spend tons of $$ just because its a F. I know I will catch grief about this but I did a little research and Kirkland batt. rated really high in consum. reports. I picked one up recently for 39.95 for another car of mine, and if it starts it thats fine with me.

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've got an optima. No problems. I like the fact that it is a sealed battery.

Dom

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mine's actually a Bosch, in an uneasy truce with the Magnetti Marelli components of the rest of the electrical system.

The tough part is throwing an extension cord from the third floor for the trickle charger!

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I use Optimas in all of my cars and my golf cart and have never had a problem. I too like the sealed unit as I never had to worry about acid damaging the area around my battery.

6. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Champion Sealed Spiral Cell Battery from Sams Club, made by Exide -- but with the Champion (as in spark plugs) logo.

It's the same 6-pack looking type of sealed battery as the Optima. I use the blue top in my 308 since this is a better battery choice than a red top for applications where a low rate charger is frequently used because the car is driven infrequently. I use the very same brand from Sam's Club in the red top in one of my cars that is driven more often, and not charged. Both work fine, both crank fine, no complaints.

Kind Regards, Chris

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optima is licensing their "spiral cell" technology to Exide, so there are a couple alternate brands available like the Exide and Champion.

8. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    1100 CA AC Delco. That GM dealership employee discount does come in handy! ;)
    Dave

9. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    LOVE, the Optimas. I have them in all three cars. You can't beat gell batts.

10. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm really surprised to see no "Interstate" batteries. That's what was in my car when I got it--that's what Ferrari of Central Florida had put in when they had the car... I thought it was like the brand that Ferrari officially used or something...

--Mike

11. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Hey Mike, F of Atlanta put an InterState in my car when it was being servoced.

12. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    There are only two companies that make batteries. There's nothing wrong with the Energizer car batteries that you can get at Pep Boys.
    I've put them in my jag and ferrari and no problems, and you save about 20-30 dollars.

13. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Ferrari of Beverly Hills put Interstate batteries in my cars. I have a Diehard in my 330.

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Ditto, I tend to buy deep cycle/RV batteries for my cars that spend several months in storage, both my winter & summer drivers. Otherwise I look for a 48 mo battery.

I solve the trickle charging power problem by buying $20 solar battery maintainers & stick them outside somewhere. I use a cigarette lighter extension cord to bring them into the car.

15. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    "Other Type:" Costco - Kirkland brand...

16. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    VARTA in my GT4

Good German power.

17. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Red top got rid of all the little weird electrical things in my car

18. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I use Duracell Gold from Autozone with 6 year warranty. It has the side connections too which i use for my Chevy Blazer in the winter for plowing.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    optima

But I cannot remember which. It is the one with the longest warranty whichever one that is

20. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Guys, if anyone's interested I have a fledgling "How-To" article on battery replacement & trickle charge installation for the 328. With a bit of lead time, can probably make up a harness to plug into the Sears chargers too.

:) Carl
    [email protected]

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm interested. Email sent, though maybe Tillman! wants to post it in his 328! primer!

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The Interstates work as well as anything, use the grey-top instead of the standard green... We've had good experience with them for fifteen years. Most all the dealers use them.

-Peter

23. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Grey topped Interstate in mine. Came with the car and seems to work fine. I just disconnect in the winter when the car sits and still fires up in the spring.

24. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I put a Sears Diehard in my Mondial. It solved the hard starting problem that I had with the old battery. I've had good success in many different cars with the Diehards. Plus, Sears is pretty easy to deal with in my experience if you ever have a warranty problem with one of these.

As an aside, I know a few people who have had problems with the Optima Red Tops. If you let the battery discharge completely, it may not fully recover. Several guys I know let them leak down over the winter and had to trash almost new Red Tops when they wouldn't hold a charge after a complete discharge. If you have one, my suggestion is to use a trickle charger if you're letting the car sit for any length of time with a Red Top.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Update:

The Bosch now sits quietly beneath the flop eared rabbit cages.....replaced both cars ('77 308GTB) with locally obtained (Waller, TX) NAPA units......#6026. Standard lead/acid units.

Went right in, fired up, car ran great....peeled out and scared all the cows.

I see I paid the disposal fee, I guess I'll take the dead one back to them.

I have had conflicts with Sears over tires/batteries years ago, and my electrical guy doesn't have many good things to say about Interstate anymore. He does carry Optima.....but.....it's just a 308...ya know?