Business using Paypal loop to defraud customers | FerrariChat

Business using Paypal loop to defraud customers

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Jagbuff, Jan 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Any suggestions are welcomed.

My wife purchased online a set of custom made window shutters as part of our never ending ;) home remodel back in October. The delivery dates were pushed back a number of times (Katrina excuse). Since I have been given the run around ranging from lost shipping, shipping addresses, etc... promises that they will call back never happen, no email replies etc.. and they keep dodging my calls, typical stuff.

I have written the whole thing off and fortunately it is not a huge sum of money (around $700), but out of curiosity I had someone else contact this person with an "order" which just taken. Same approach was taken - she sent a Paypal invoice requesting the payment. As some of you may know Paypal only offers a 45 day window (as opposed to 90 days for CC) to request a charge back (and even then you have to go through extensive BS). Since this is "custom product" the delivery date in the 4-6 weeks so by the time you realize that nothing is coming it's too late and you have no recourse. As such I am sure I am not the only one who has gotten scr*wed and since I am in Texas and the business is in Georgia so I am not going to spend the time and money filing a claim against them for such a small amount.

Clearly there isn't much I can do to get my money back (thank you Paypal), but what I am most upset about (other then being out of $700) is that she is continuing to do the online "business" with impunity.

Is there anything that I can do to shut this little operation down or scare her a little ? I don't mind spending a little money to get even :) In terms of information, I have a Website address, a Warehouse address, Paypal Account, Name, Email, and phone Number (cell phone I think).

Any suggestions - has to be legal (relatively)?
    THX

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    there are a lot of reasons to be wary of paypal.

sorry you got burned.

doody.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Well,

You could contact consumer affairs in her state and county and file a complaint. That might get them investigated and shut down. I would also contact Paypal and suggest they stop allowing them use the service.

FYI - I never buy anythig using Paypal for a purchase from a business. Only Ebay individuals.......

4. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    Why not file a small claims case in your county? They will not show, you will get a default judgment and throw it to a collection agency. You might get 1/2 of your money back and the satisfaction of knowing you caused them some trouble.

5. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    This is what you do....Blast her on Feedback. If she is a Powerseller this will be tougher because Ebay will let them walk over anyone, if she is not, then they won't do anything to help her out.
    Buy another set and wait a week and leave her negative feedback.
    Set up another ebay account today and buy another set from her in a week...then hit her with another feedback...have the person right now, hit her with a negative and use the paypal dispute process to get their money back...3 negatives will impact her dramatically....a few more will put her out of the game...

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

If the money from Paypal was charged to your credit card, and not debited from your checking account contact VISA/MASTERCARD immediately.

If it came out of your checking account, and you didn't receive any product, that's fraud, your bank should be able to help you with that.

Paypal may not want to help you, but the CC company will, and your bank should.

They'll beat up paypal for you, get your money back, and then paypal, who should have done a better job in the first place, is on the hook with the seller.

Worked for me, should work for you.

Paypal may tell you you have no recourse beyond their grievance systen, but that's pure B.S.

Dave

7. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Bubbaland, USA
    Full Name:
    Disgruntled Dave
    Sick the Postal Inspector on her azz, that's if she claimed to use them as her shipping preference. They'll knock off her azz in a heartbeat. Nothing worse than having a disgruntled Postman banging on your door.;)

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo