Hong Kong Sunday Drive Photos - January 06 | FerrariChat

Hong Kong Sunday Drive Photos - January 06

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by v15ben, Jan 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #1 v15ben, Jan 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have just returned from the Luk Keng drive which is a weekly event over here in HK. Locals drive up to the Chinese border to enjoy their cars and have a morning coffee - I have never seen anything like it in my life, here's a quick review!

I was woken bleary eyed at 6.40am by my piercing alarm clock and after cleaning myself up I was stood on the street corner waiting for my ride for the morning. Soon a V8 roar rung out over the crowds of taxis, buses and half drunk wanderers and a Ferrari 348 rolled into view driven by Mike, an Australian living in HK and my guide for the day. We blasted out through the high rise blocks and onto the motorway to escape central HK and we were soon on the twisty roads of the New Territories. This was the polar opposite of HK Island with rolling fields, mountains and lakes in the mist - it was almost like being in China which is of course just down the road! Mike gave the car a good run with a cacophony of V8 soundtrack bouncing off the slopes beside us and suddenly we were at Luk Keng. The place is essentially just a traditional roadside cafe run by old Chinese ladies with a sleepy dog and rickety bicycle outside but on Sunday mornings it goes into overload!
    We pulled into the car park behind a Ferrari F50 and Porsche GT3RS and the madness had truly begun. The car park was lined with Ferraris, Porsches, a Lotus and various banzai Japanese rocket ships - this remember is a back road cafe close to the Chinese border and across the water we could see the nearest Chinese settlement to HK rising out of the smog! We walked down the road to the cafe past various Ferraris and other supercars and took our seats at a plastic table. The waitress knew Mike's order immediately and we were soon tucking into sandwiches and hot tea! We got chatting to the guy at the next table who was from Manchester and had arrived on one of the many motorbikes lining the pavement beside the cafe!
    This idyllic rural Chinese scene was soon broken by the distant sensational sounds of rung out car engines and we sat in awe as 2 911 GT3s, a Ferrari 550, Honda NSX and Nismo tweaked 350Z drove by and parked round the corner. Various unlikely supercars and sports machines rolled past as we sat in our deckchairs on the roadside and soon it was time to wander amongst the machinery on show. I got as far as the other side of the street when an almighty shout from the cafe signalled the most incredible arrival - a Pagani Zonda - one of the only ones in HK and super rare. The meeting had previously been surreal and now it had fallen off the end of the scale of madness - there aren't many places where this could happen except HK! As I marvelled at the Zonda, it seemed that the rush of supercars had begun in earnest with several Ferraris and 3 Lamborghini Gallardos rolling in within a matter of minutes! Finding a parking space was proving tricky!
    I walked along the line of cars now in attendence and every one of them was a 100 grand supercar parked on an out of the way roadside in the middle of nowhere - unbelievable! Many of the cars had trade plates to avoid paying tax and to get round the law which bans LHD cars in HK - it was outrageous!
    Soon it was time to leave and we were in the ultimate convoy led off by the GT3RS, F50 and including 2 Stradales, a 360 Spider, 348 and NSX rolling serenely through the New Territories countryside! We wound through little villages to the shock of locals waiting at bus stops and pushing their bicycles to market!
    We were soon back at the motorway and the traffic light grand prix began. The GT3RS and F50 pulled aside letting the others cars blast off and we were able to run alongside the F50! The driver was taking it easy probably to avoid the speed traps everywhere although red lights and the motorway cameras didn't seem to bother him too much. The sound and presence of the car was out of this world and I even got a wave from the owner as I took a pic of the car, enthusiast to enthusiast - perfect! We passed the F50 as he kept it steady and blasted on down the road watching the laughably crazy scene as a taxi tried to race the 360 Stradale ahead of us!
    All had gone quiet as we cruised back towards the city when suddenly a huge roar erupted somewhere down the road behind us and the F50 came flying past and off into the morning smog - obviously he was bored of going slow! Soon I was outside Shi Tan train station and getting back on the KCR to Mong Kok - it was time to get back to reality with a bump but what a morning it had been. In the middle of nowhere there had been a Zonda, F50, F430, 3 Gallardos, a GT3RS, 4 NSXs, 5 GT3s, a GT3RS, several 360s, a 355 Spider, M3 CSL, 997, Lotus Exige, 2 348s, plenty of 993 Turbos, a 911 Carrera RS, 996 Turbo and all manner of banzai jap machines. I have no idea how many millions of pounds of metal was on display but this is one experience I will remember for a lifetime - only in Hong Kong!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    :eek: I was NOT expecting that! AMAZING!!!!!!!

3. WealthBuildR

WealthBuildR Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Seal Beach/Cypress
    Full Name:
    Wally Da Silva
    Wow. Great pictures thanks for sharing. The GT3 RS is amazing.

4. kyleseyz

kyleseyz Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Zonda shows up, no big deal, just a WEEKLY GATHERING!!! omg that is intense...

5. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Yep there is always something exciting in attendence. Often a Carrera GT down there and I think there has been an Enzo in the past as well as 2 F50s at the same time :D

6. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Dont care what anyone says but the F50 is and always will be a stunning looking FERRARI!

7. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    WOW! F50 and Zonda!! And GT3 RS!! Amazing,...

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Fantastic pics and story! What an amazing assimilation of cars!!!!!

9. fifthearth

fifthearth Rookie

Nov 12, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Peej
    wow !!! amazing pictures... that's a great mix of different exotics !

10. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Nice pics! I havn't been to Luk Keng for years. Used to go with my dad and his Boxer in the early 90's. Would love to go there again in the near future. I always thought this has got to be one of the most amazing culture in the world of exotic cars, how every sunday exotics are bound to meet up at one place....then I found Fchat and read about Crystal Cove! Nonetheless Luk Keng is still an admirable exotic car spot :)

11. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Nice story and pics! I wish I could attend one when I'm in Hong Kong next month for a single sunday, but my plane arrives at 7:50 AM. So, I guess I won't be able to make it to Luk Keng :( Any advice for nice car spotting areas in downtown? Are they also meeting up somewhere later on sunday? Just curious ;)

12. drunkenmaster16x1

drunkenmaster16x1 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2005
    D/FW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Mmmmmmmmmm, GT3 RS.

13. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Very cool. Thanks for posting! That Zonda looks hot and of course that F50. Those Porsches are too die for!

V.

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Im not a big fan of the P car, but next to the f50 and zonda it does look nice. It does look like a sweet car in Yellow.
    Thanks fo rsharing.

15. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
  16. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    That's pretty neat. It's like an asian Crystal Cove, but on a smaller scale.

17. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    HI Ben, thanks for sharing & nice write up. Must have been a great Sunday.

18. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
  19. Reds

Reds Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2004
    Richmond, B.C.
    Great photos and write up
    I wish I was there during my stay in Hong Kong last year.

20. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks for the replies guys! I guess Luk Keng is a bit like a small version of Crystal Cove except that it is also about the driving rather than just the show aspect. Luk Keng is out on some very nice roads away from the Island and Kowloon.
    Thanks for the offer Patpong and I think that someday I will be in your part of the world on my travels and will be in touch. Great pics too!
    The best places to spot cars downtown are probably around Central and Admirality on HK Island and there is also a drive out on the east part of HK island on a Sunday morning although I never got out there to check it out!

21. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Hi Ben,

Glad to hear you had a great time, and even more happy you brought a camera! Apologies for not being able to meet up though.

You know, there was supposed to be a Mercedes CLK-GTR there that morning, but the owner backed out of going at the last minute. That AND the Zonda would have made one hell of an outing.

22. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Was the CLK GTR one of the ones from SPS Automotive?

23. Dohhunter

Dohhunter Karting

Nov 1, 2005
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Holy ****balls.

24. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    #25 banduga, Jan 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yup. Did you manage to visit them? Imagine... there are only 25 CLK-GTRs in the world, and 3 of them are at SPS.

If you were in Singapore, you could've seen a 4th one, which happens to be the only RHD one in the world (pic attached).