308 door skin repairs | FerrariChat

308 door skin repairs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Jan 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I have discovered a small rust spot on my drivers door during my repainting. I will have to cut out an area about the size of a golfball near the bottom front edge.

Anyone ever remove a skin from the frame? and cut weld in a patch?

2. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    I worked in a body shop, however never on Ferraris. We did a lot of rust repairs and I have never seen anybody remove the whole skin to patch rust. Most people cut-out damaged area then weld or braze a steel patch in. Patches near the edge can be preformed with a brake to fold over. The area is then leaded or fiberglassed then bondo'd.

The steel patches will rust out again (driven daily in salty, cold weather they would usually bubble again within 2 years). We used to see some cars again after several years and sometimes everything would be rusted out again except for a thin, little sliver of lead. The lead would not bubble, but you could have problems caused by not getting all the flux out.

Although I have never done it, I have thought about leading-in a brass sheet metal patch. It would never rust out and it would not cause the galvanic corrosive action because it would be "sweated" to the steel body. There needs to be a gap for the galvanic action to take place.

Mark

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Fortunately my car has never seen a salty road

the rust appears to have come from a leaky window seal.

you can NOT see any problem at all from inside the door, but when you pull back the skin a bit you can see a ton of rust where the skin meets the frame for about 4" each direction fromthe corner ( just along the contact area).

I have cut our a 2"x2" triangle and am welding in a new piece. If I have to i'll find a small piece of zink to put in the door to prevent corrosion.

4. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    I wouldn't put the Zinc in there--it is sure to set-up a galvanic action. I would spray a non-drying rust proof material like LPS 3.

Mark

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    check out why zinc blocks are put on boats--- the corrosion attacks it and leaves teh other metals alone...

6. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    You can do it if you want, but I wouldn't do it. I know the zinc bars work on boats, but you do not want to put dis-similar metals with any space between each other on a car.

7. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Got the same problem on both doors and the drivers side C-pillar. I'd forget the Zinc. In boat hulls under water the zinc acts as a sacrificial electrode and corrodes away over the period of a few months to years. It'd likely be a corrosion magnet that might pucker everything that was filled, sanded and painted on top of it.

8. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mark~

I am curious what you mean. I am planning to attempt to fill an area on my body with lead. I feel it would be stronger and longer lasting that body filler, and I felt it would prevent rust or corrosion problems. The car had a section of metal replaced on the nose, and the weld job left a recess they simply filled with body filler.

9. idoc

idoc Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    Westchester,New York
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just had it done right before the winter. I had a 9" wide strip cut across the entire door and welded in new sheet metal. I have the old piece, it is amazing how much corosion was in there that was manafested in a few paint bubbles. The final result is that it looks great and you cannot tell it was done. I have pics if interested.

10. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Steve where did you have the work done. Also did they remove the door to do the work and if so did the need to remove the window cable asm. and the pulleys when the did the welding. Thanks I got to go for a ride now its another safe dry day . Enjoy the ride

11. idoc

idoc Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    Westchester,New York
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hey,
    They did remove the doors and took off the inside leather parts but did not remove the pulleys or window assembly. I had this done here in NY. As it turns out the local body shop guy is this old Italian guy that has been doing this since the old days and does alot of body shop work for an independent ferrari dealer in the area. The work was very good and reasonable compared to estimates I received for ferrari restoration places.

12. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Can you post or PM me the name of the place/guy who did the job. I have 1 door that has some minor bubbles and I want to nip it in the bud. Thanks

13. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #13 atlantaman, Jan 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    The rust was ONLY along the surface where the frame meets the skin and was completely hidden from inside...

I have sand blasted all the surfaces clean---applied rust treatment to the metal --applied a good coat of silicon between surfaces--and re-attached skin---all done....