Great place to drive new Ferrari in Arkansas? | FerrariChat

Great place to drive new Ferrari in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by leblanc727, Jan 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leblanc727

leblanc727 Rookie

Jan 18, 2006
    This is my first post on the Ferrari chat site, although I have been reading for a while now. I just purchased my lifetime dream.... my first Ferrari. I just bought a 430 Spyder and it is BEAUTIFUL! I am extremely excited to drive this work of art!!!!

I live in Michigan and the weather here is not very good for driving right now..... However, I bought the car out of state and figure I would drive to where I bought it and spend some time driving in Northern Arkansas before having it shipped to Michigan, where it will sit until the weather warms up.

Any suggestions on good roads in Arkansas to drive my new baby? I will be traveling in mid-Feb for about 3 days of fun driving. All suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Dale_K

Dale_K Karting

May 6, 2005
    Arkansas
    Arkansas Rt 7 is a really good driving road, especially the part near me from Hot Springs Village north to Ola. There was a big thread with Arkansas in the title a few months ago that might give you some ideas.

3. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    Second what Dale mentioned. Highway 7, any part south of Harrison, is fantastic driving. I did the shot from Russleville to Harrison on a Sunday morning once and it was the best (bar none) drive I've ever had.

Feff

4. 356 speedster

356 speedster Rookie

Nov 4, 2005
    Like the drive to Eureka Springs AR.Nice twisty roads.

5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Leblanc727, what a great idea!!!! Congratulations on the new car. I believe we met when you were down looking at your car 2 weeks ago. It is an incredible 430. I really understand your pride in getting this car. The roads in this area are unbelievable. I think 5 of the top 10 roads to drive on in the US are in this area. If you are interested, I can get you the detailed directions we had for the Cresent Classic from this fall. This is a full long weekend of intense driving. I would love to come down and join you for a day. Would be a lot of fun to get your car and the SV/GT on the Pig Trail together. This particular road is a must - unbelievable. Send me an email ( [email protected] ) if I can be of any help.

Congratulations,

Steve

6. leblanc727

leblanc727 Rookie

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanks everyone for your help! I am starting to figure out when I can get down there to Arkansas and what routes I may take. I like the idea of driving down route 7... looks like a blast!

I have also heard that driving on route 309 near Mount Magazine is a beautiful area as well. Has anyone been on that route as well?

Steve, yes, I did meet you a few weeks ago when I went down to look at the 430 Spyder. It was actually you that suggested I drive the car before shipping it back to MI.... thanks for the suggestion as I might just do that! I will e-mail you when I can as I would love to get more info on the route that was taken during the crescent classic.

Thanks again everyone!

7. Dale_K

Dale_K Karting

May 6, 2005
    Arkansas
    Mount Magazine is very scenic. I don't remember much about 309 for the driving experience.

If you do drive down Rt 7 be sure to make a slight detour on 154 and see Petit Jean park, especially the scenic overlook. I visited the overlook for the first time today and was blown away. The weather was good enough to go topless in my C6. Another nice stopping point on Rt 7 is Nimrod dam. You can walk out on top of the dam and if you're lucky you'll see the bald eagle that's been hanging around for the past month or so. Very pretty country in the Ouachita National Forest and Rt 7 iin that area is a fabulous road in a high performance car. I might try to post some pics this week if the weather is nice.

8. Dale_K

Dale_K Karting

May 6, 2005
    Arkansas
  9. leblanc727

leblanc727 Rookie

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanks, Dale, for the pictures link to your Corvette forum pictures. The pictures look great and make me even more excited to get down there quicker!

Steve, I just sent you an e-mail letting you know my plans.

Thanks again.

10. Litespeed

Litespeed Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Super congrats on your over-the top choice of Fcars! Have lived in Arkansas most of my life and have driven my Alfa Romeos a lot during the fall months in Eureka Springs on HWY 62 and down 23 through Huntsville.Continue down 23 to I-40 and go east to Altus and tour Post and Weidehker wineries.Good Irish pub in the tiny town of Altus called Kelts.Guiness on tap.Try the bangers and mash or anything with the Hunter Sauce.Hotels are so-so in Russellville-Holiday Inn etc.You will then be able to get on Hwy 7 at Russellville and cruise north.Nice Loop.You will really like Eureka Springs,turn of the century everything.Some shops are closed for winter.Eat Italian at Ermelios.Get the spaghetti witht he Italian sausage.Get the baked garlic cloves and Focaccia.I'm shopping for my first F-car; a Mondial Coupe.Until then I hope I get a glimpse of your new Ferrari! Good luck.

11. JOHNCJ8989

JOHNCJ8989 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    John
    I live in Fayetteville (NW). The drive from Huntsville on 23 South to I-40 is great! I've driven it my entire life.

Feel free to msg me for anything.

12. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #12 MarkPDX, Mar 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    7 is a great road...... the first bit after Hot Springs Village isn't great but up towards Lake Nimrod and Ola is great with a lot of curves though it's not a super tight twisty. Except for a couple of the tight turns I run between 70 and 130 the whole way. The picture is ~15 miles north on 7 to Lake Nimrod.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Dale_K

Dale_K Karting

May 6, 2005
    Arkansas
    I drove it again today up to Ola with the top off. Very pleasant since it was 75. There are a few turns marked 25mph and 1 marked 20 but most are marked at 40 or above. Normally you can corner substantially quicker of course but I find the limiting factor isn't traction but forward vision. I don't like charging into a blind corner flat out. Sometimes the locals stray over the centerline. It's a neat road. Enjoyable driving slow for the scenery and thrilling driving fast. I haven't seen any bald eagles at Nimrod lately so I guess they've migrated to wherever they go in the spring.

So far I've chickened out at 120 in the straight sections.

Last week I drove the northern section of 7 from Harrison to Russellville. It is actually more scenic than the Nimrod area but overall not as good of a driving experience. I also tried Rt 23 from I-40 north toward Eureka Springs. It is much tighter and enclosed by the tree canopy. I liked the road but I didn't care for Eureka Springs.