My HORRIBLE experience with Naples Motorsport. Pics included with this post! | FerrariChat

My HORRIBLE experience with Naples Motorsport. Pics included with this post!

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by steve miller, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller
    #1 steve miller, Jan 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Before I start this post I’d like to apologize to all the members of this Forum with whom I adamantly disagreed with regarding this Company about a month or so ago.

I’ve wanted to write this post for a long time now, about 3 weeks. I held back on the post to make sure the check cut to me by Naples Motorsports cleared, and wasn’t stopped because of what I’m writing. This post will be factual, with no editorializing because my wish is not to discredit anyone. This post exists simply to chronicle my TOTAL experience with Naples Motorsport so that others might hear about my experience.

The pictures on this post were taken by me, and Todd Rosenthal, President of Naples. An edited copy of this post, along with all documentation, and pictures will be posted on the Lambo Board, and will be sent to Florida DMV, Florida Dept of Agriculture (Consumer Affairs), and the Better Business Bureau. In addition a re written version of this will be sent to The Federal Trade Commission, because in my opinion I was a victim of false and deceptive trade practices, as well as misleading advertising. My attorney gets a copy too. We’ll let these organizations judge for themselves. If Naples decides to sue me, those docs will be scanned, posted, and sent to the aforementioned organizations. The best defense against charges of defamation is the truth, and in this case the truth in pictures was provided to me by the company in question. I didn’t even need the pictures I took.

On or about Dec 24, 2005, I contacted Naples Motorsport about a Ferrari I saw on their site. It was an ’03 Spider, double red, with the black top. I was told by Rob Oteri, who is listed on their website as the General Manager, that this car was “spoken for”. I saw that they had a Grigio Ingrid (Champagne) colored car on their website too. It looked beautiful in the pictures, and I asked Rob about the car. He told me about the mileage, as well as all the other features of this car. I asked him about the condition of the car and he said it was “Perfect”. Now, Naples Motorsports has been around for quite a few years, and they are a high profile Internet Company. If their GM tells me their car is perfect, that’s good enough for me. It seems that It’s also good enough for the Federal Trade Commission, as documented under their “Unfair or Deceptive Practice Laws” I quote: Unfair or Deceptive Practice Laws are the FTC’s way to protect consumers against conduct that “offends public policy as established by statute, common law or other means that are immoral, unethical, troublesome, or corrupt, and substancially injures consumers, competitors, or other business people. It gives consumers an opportunity to demand relief for even unintentional deception on the part of the seller.

I bought the Ferrari from Naples, on Dec. 28, 2005. Wired the down payment, and the balance was paid by the bank. The car was delivered on the 29th of Dec. I traded my ’06 Corvette Convertible on this car. The selling price of the car was $191,125.00. I was allowed $53925 on my trade. Now it got interesting.

As some of you on this Forum might have noticed I had posted a question about overfilling the oil on this car. Your help was certainly appreciated, especially the answer about using a Turkey baster to remove the overflow. This post was necessitated by the initial lack of oil that was in the car upon delivery. On the Naples website they describe the checklist that a car goes through before they deliver it. This car needed oil, which was a bad sign. I called GM Rob Oteri on Monday morning, and he told me he would be glad to take the car back to have the fluids changed for me, and to buff out a scratch or two that I put on it myself, first night in my driveway. At no time did they offer to pay for this fluid change, even though their site specifically stated that fluids were part of the deal.

I’m a pretty easy going guy, and thanked Rob with an email, which I gave Naples permission to post on their website. Paying for the fluid change was way easier then getting an appointment at Shelton, here in Ft Lauderdale. At any rate the car was shipped back to me a couple of days later and I decided to detail it. I washed it, and pulled it into the garage for a couple coats of Zaino. That’s when it all hit the fan. Upon close inspection I noticed that the front bumper didn’t align up with the body. As I investigated further I noticed that there were paint droplets hanging from the metal above the bumper, and below the trunk. I decided to pull off the clear bra, and realized that the bra had hidden a paint job on the bumper. It was two toned. When I opened the trunk there was evidence of Bondo under one of the screws, and a very uneven tape line all around the inner part of the trunk. I don’t have the expertise to say that this car was in an accident, and to say that would be a guess. This post is about verifiable facts. Please see my photo’s at the end.

I was pretty upset. I figured for almost 200K this car should be perfect. The law says it was incumbent upon Rob Oteri to tell me about all paintwork that might have been done to this car. When I asked Rob about the paint, his answer was that all Ferrari’s have paintwork on their bumpers. My previous three did not. He additionally told me that I never asked was there any paintwork done on this car. The law says it’s his job to disclose any and all paintwork that was done. The FTC documents that ignorance of the problem is not a defense in this situation. I asked to speak with Todd Rosenthal, the owner of this Co. and he asked to see the car. I removed my belongings, and my tag, and once again flatbedded the Ferrari back to Naples. The next morning Todd took it to his mechanic for an inspection. His mechanic, along with Todd not only deemed this car accident free, but said that the poor taping, and the paint droplets were from the Ferrari factory. He admitted to the bumper being repainted.

I told Todd that I didn’t want the car, as it had been painted at the least, and as per his Ebay ads If I was dissatisfied in any way with my purchase I had the right to return the car, and pay shipping only. Todd proceeded to tell me that this wasn’t the case with this car, as I had bought it a week ago. I explained in a cordial way that although I bought the car a week ago, it was back in Naples for a few days, and I only had it in my possession for a day or two. I continued by informing him that if there wasn’t a clear bra on the car concealing the paintwork, this car would have been sent back in a NY minute. His stance was firm. He wasn’t going to take this car back unless I paid him. He told me he normally charged 10% to take a car back, but felt badly taking 19K from me. He said he’d take 8%. Or a total of $16,154.40. I had a choice to make here. Let him have the 16K FOR NOTHING, or fight. The right play was to let him have the money. I felt that a lawsuit would cost more then he was asking for, and contrary to popular belief, nobody ever gets their fees in a situation like this. In addition, keeping this car meant I owned a greatly devalued automobile due to the paintwork that was done to it. To obtain the refund from Naples I had to sign an agreement that I was satisfied with the outcome of this situation and that I wouldn’t defame the Company, it’s cars, or it’s employees. I also signed a General Release, relinquishing my right to bring any claims against Naples for this transaction. It was made abundantly clear to me that without my signatures there would be NO refund, and they wouldn’t take the car back. All these documents are available to anyone upon request. Please feel free to email me @ [email protected]

This post isn’t meant to strong arm Naples into returning the money they took from me for no reason. I’m the worst kind of disgruntled customer, as I don’t care about the cash they took. I’d much rather post my experience all over the net to help anyone else who might be on the fence about purchasing a car from these folks, and to alert the proper authorities about what they did to me. Yes, I gave up my right to sue them for a good reason, but I never gave up the right to factually relate my story to the public.

Thanks for reading this post. Any questions? Please contact me by email and I can provide any and all the documents I’ve alluded to.

Steven Miller

Top left shows where the bra covered the paint jon on the bumper. The flashlight is shining on the line.
    Second pic shows the horrible fit of the bumper to the metal on the passenger side.
    Third pic shows bubbling of paint on the bumper that was hidden by the bra.
    Fourth pic shows the droplets of paint under the trunk.

I have more pics for the asking, including tape residue photo's, poor taping under the trunk pics, and bondo under screw pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Tough call. Resprayed bumpers are typical where there are rock chips and something I've learned to expect.

The drips on the trunk are unusual. Can those be wet sanded off? OTOH, I spent a day with Dr.Who and his near delivery miles Stradale, and the paint on that $200k car was sad - straight from the factory you could see through to the primer in spots along the door.

Aside from the line caused by the bra, the bubbling, dripping and poor panel fit really could be factory issues. Despite the price, these are Ferraris, not Lexuses.

3. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    sorry about your experience, its rather sad that you cant even take them on their word and then they act like diicks when you want a refund.

Well, add one more company on the list of places Ill NEVER do business with.

I hope this post makes it ALL AROUND the internet auto boards! :) and thanks for helping out future owners!

4. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the info. I recently sold my 328 and I know sometime in the future I will be looking for another car. I have checked out Naples website several times, but now I will not buy a car from them. I bought my car through Team Motorsports and sold it through Kip Sheward Motorsports and both dealers made it a pleasure to do business with and they both really kissed my @$$ making it feel like I was an important customer. Sorry to hear about your headache...hope it works out.

5. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Sorry to hear about your problems. You made the right decision.

6. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is really a shame. I picked up my '94 348 Spider from them in February of '04. The sales person I worked with is no longer there, but fairly and accurately described the vehicle for me. I also had the opportunity to work with Todd and found him to be quite reasonable.

I certainly hope that whatever the outcome is that it is equitable to all involved. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Mike

7. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller

Thanks Mark,

It worked out just fine. It cost me 16K to learn a valuable lesson: Caveat Emptor. I picked up an 05, 6sp, 360 spider. One of a very few made. I'm lovin' it. Drives way better then my '03

8. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry to hear about your trouble, thanks for sharing!

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Steve, sorry to hear your plight.

1. You should post the VIN of the car so others are alerted to the fact, and make sure FChatter "NNO" knows about it since he tracks these things.

2. You should post larger pics, and also upload the other areas of concern. It's kind of hard to see in the small size you've posted.

3. I'm sure Naples will get wind of this, and it will be interesting to hear their side of the story.

4. Either way, it is disappointing to see that they didn't stand behind their word and take the car back. To clarify, how many miles did you put on the car during its time with you?

5. Congratulations on the new MY05 Spider. You should post pictures of those same areas to show the difference in finish between the two cars.

6. Tread carefully here. You did a good service to current and would-be Ferrari owners by posting your experience here, but Naples might construe it as slander and take measures (it seems that you are prepared to deal with them though).

Good luck with everything.

10. Tahoe Guy

Tahoe Guy Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    It always disturbs me when I hear stories like these. No I agree with one of the posts in this thread that it could very well be factory work, however the issue with the bondo does not sound like modern Ferrari factory work to me. In the 70's and up to the early 90's stuff like that did happen at the factory, however things have changed.

I had a horrible experience with a well known South Florida dealership in about 1990 (I won't mention their name, and frankly this incident landed them in jail for fraud, and the company no longer exists). I was a very young and talented Ferrari broker and had a 1962 Ferrari GTO available to broker. It was a very expensive car even to today's standards so I decided to try and source the car out. Well it seemed like it all worked out untill I went to verify the funds. A "signed" letter was sent to me from a South Florida bank (this was during the days you could verify funds) and spoke with the General Manager who supposedly signed the letter of funds. He never heard of the company as a client. Upon further examination it was found out that the company was trying to do a quick switch. They told their client that they already had the car and they told me that they were going to buy it and turn around and sell it to the client for a larger profit. To make a long story short I lost out on $ 1.8 million USD in comission, the client didn't get their car (didn't have direct contact with them), and the owners lost their business and went to jail.

The moral of the story is no matter how good of a history a company or person has, anything is possible. Due dilligence is the key every time.

My sympathy goes out to you because we all have love for these cars and it breaks the heart when people take advantage or try to take advantage of that.

Good luck with your "new" Ferrari Steve :)

Alexander

11. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller
    I'm not home right now, but either later tonight or tomorrow I'll be glad to post the other pics. When I originally wrote the post I was limited to 4 pics. As I think about it now I realize why I sized them so small. I cut the size instead of the resolution with photoshop. My mistake. I have about 40 shots to show the world. I put 40 miles on the car. Tomorrow morning I'll take some pics of my red beautyto show the difference.
    Regarding Naples and a Law Suit...God Bless them. If it happens I'll scan and post those docs too.

Here is the URL to the Naples site. http://www.naplesmotorsports.com/inventory.htm Scroll to the bottom of the page. It's under pending sales. It seems they sold this car to someone else in Florida. Thanks for the support.

Here's the Vin: Still on Naples site:

ZFFYT53A830130724

12. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller
    Vin # of the car:

ZFFYT53A830130724

13. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Good Thread, thanks for alerting the community, how much does everyone want to bed this car winds up back on Ebay!!!

14. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller

Someone bought the car. Click, copy, and paste this URL, then scroll to the very bottom of the page. This car is a pending sale. A Shame.

15. lrattner

lrattner Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lonnie Rattner
    As the famous saying goes" I feel your pain". Sorry you had to go through this experience. This is another example as to why it is so important to get a PPI done on a car even if it's still under warranty.

16. BH1

BH1 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    NSB, Fl & Aspen, Co
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yeah, but the question is....... did they negotiate on the price????

17. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller
    I learned my lesson. It coulda been worse :))

18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have been carrying around a list of places NOT to do business with since 1984, and have been telling people ever since to NEVER do business with these places. I now have one more to add to the list:
    1. Dr William Wilson, DDS, Modesto, California.
    2. Racing Unlimited, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
    3. Global Atlantic Transport, Car Carriers, Nationwide.
    4. Naples Motorsports, Florida.

19. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    If their was Bondo in the truck it was in an accident, Ferrari uses spray on filler not bondo on these cars.

You really can't tell too much with your pics they are too small.

$16000 is still $16000, thats alot to lose on a car transaction, even if they didn't know about the accident you didn't want the car thats all that mattered they should have exchanged your car for a full refund just to keep their rep in good standing which clearly this shows what they care about their rep.

20. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller
    BIG PICS coming tomorrow!!!!

21. BH1

BH1 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    NSB, Fl & Aspen, Co
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I betcha I can make them give the money back...........

BH, Esq.
    Admitted in Florida

22. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Why didn't you take the car to an auth. dealer to have checked out before agreeing to pay the 16k? Even if you found out some work was done and it wasn't a big deal, surely you could have had it re done to better spec for a couple k and saved yourself thousands. I wouldn't have let them keep that money on priciple even if it is no big deal to you. A reputation is all a car dealer has to go on.

23. jir591

jir591 Karting

Aug 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Buying a Ferrari should be a great experience. These guys have taken that away from you. Make sure you sue them for emotional distress. Scumbags !!!

24. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I think in Steve's mind the two alternatives were (1) return the car and pay $16K as a "restocking fee" even though he believes it was unfairly charged, or (2) keep the car, but face a $30 - $40K hit when the next potential buyer gets it PPI'd and finds that the car has been "damaged."

It was probably the lesser of two evils in his mind.

I think Steve's post is damage enough to NM's rep.

25. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Oh man, i can't believe that. I just drove by there today to look at that yellow 360 (i'm on vacation). If i knew i would have brought it up and tell them my "buddy Steve wants his money back or i'm not buying anything"