Range Rover HSE supercharged | FerrariChat

Range Rover HSE supercharged

Discussion in 'British' started by msdesignltd, Jun 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Anyone heard anything good or bad on the HSE supercharged rover.
    I am thinking of picking one up!

2. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I'd be careful about the transmission. Overfinch has modded numerous RRs, and they are notoriously tranny hungry ...

3. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    According to what I have read, the new tranny is Aston Martin supplied!
    This is an all new set up ,I believe with a 4.2 supercharged Jaguar engine, DAH< FORD!

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    you are correct

i will have one in the office next week for review will update ya then

5. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    ooops, my bad, for some reason, I thought you were talking about the old gen RR, with asthmatic 4.6 engine ... nevermind.
    Awesome car. :)

6. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Scheduled for test drive saturday morn.All dealers in NE are or have recieved the first of them this week. will probably buy it if I like the driveability. Will report back monday!

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    The good folks dropped off the RRover Supercharged here on Thursday Afternoon (it was supozed to be here on monday but it was (cough cough) in for a recall on the (cough cough) Transmission) That asside I really like this truck, and it is a truck. Hight adjustment is great but most owners will never know what it is for, the off road is as always PERFECT the on road is super the thing gets and boogies pretty damn good (the G55AMG is faster but who cares)
    Lacking in rear passanger leg room wich is a bit of a D'oh considering how big it is, Braking could be better and i almost blew a couple of lights trying to reign in the brick.
    Love the look, Love the drivers seat, so far not so bad on gas as others in the class, much better all around than the Tahoe Grande or Moui Yokon Far better than the H2.
    G55 (G500) and Big Toyota/Lexus variant are only real comparisons (Expultion and Exabitionist or the Lincoln Nav-a-Crator ain't in this class) and I think I would go RANGE if it was my nickle. but the list on the one i have with everything from NAV to Seat back headrest TV-DVD is 92K that is a lot of sheckles.

8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Took the plunge. Test drive was impressive. a dominating vehicle. not as huge as a Hummer but probably safer. Much safer...thats what counts today.Not as nimble as my cayenne however with the 50 series 20 inch shoes on it is a ground stomper. Sirius radio is standard on second delivery cars. Stereo has 710 watts stock. Sounds great.Rover under ford has done this one right, even better than bmw.Suprcharger doesnt make it a scorcher but probably wont slow you down on extended uphills with 420 lbs. torque.
    Taking delivery by wednesday, should be real sweet!

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am buying one of the 06 non supercharged, I already have a Cayenne Turbo, and compared to that they both felt pretty slow to me, so I could not justify the 15k more. I was more impressed with it than I thought. I need the rear seat entertainment thingy and wife likes white so not here as of yet.

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Please both of you

TAKE THE FRIGGIN THING OFF ROAD AT LEAST ONCE

It is marvelous in its natural enviroment... which is not suburban purgatory

11. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

I Too have the cayenne turbo and dollar for dollar the Range rover is a more substantial vehicle, although the pt is 3 seconds quiker to 60. I was suprised at the fit and finish of the rover, it is gorgeous and the pt is no slouch either inside. the hand stitched leather and rugged durability of the interior really speaks aloud.it will make quite a long range destination vehicle.I opted for the supercharger, as the Brembo package along with the wheel tire package makes for a better braker. 60 - 0 in 112 ft. thats carrera teritory with 5700 lbs.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I agree, and it if were going to my my SUV, I would have probably gone the same way you did, but I have 10 moth old twin boys and this is my wife (745 not much of a snow car) and she is one of those did exactly the speed limit types, and this is her winter car. Kind of reminds me of driving your living room, good luck with yours.

13. mustgofaster

mustgofaster Karting

Mar 27, 2004
    West Lakeland, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Purchasing this vehicle next week. Do you think an upgraded air intake will have any increase in hp? K&N?

Cheers
    mark

14. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    mustgo,
    K n N prolly wont do much, not noticeable at any rate..but a pulley/ecu combo....well now were gettin interesting!

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The performance modifications are going to be limited.

Both new Rovers use the Jaguar V8, the supercharged V8 stroked from 4.2L to 4.4L.

There are very expensive modifications that you can do to bring the power up but the old 4.0L V8 suffered from head gasket problems. Hopefully these were resolved with the modified engines. Want to take that bet?

The timing gear has been revised to use a double row design which will eliminate the weak point on the earlier engines.

In order to significantly increase power, you're going to need to supply more boost, ECU tuning, intake, exhaust, and last of all the forced induction V8 Jaguars were using a Mercedes transmission and the normally aspirated V8's were using a ZF 5HP24. The ZF 5HP24 transmission has a service life of around 125k miles and was shared with the BMW 7 series, Audi A8, and were not robust enough to handle 400lbs of torque. The Mercedes unit that was used more robust. I would personally be wary of the ZF 6-speed handling the kind of power, or increase in power, if you decide to modify it the 4.4L power plant.

Eurotek, Arden, Paramount Performance, Beacham, and Rocketsports Racing are people who provide modifications that easily get into 5 digits in price for a gain of 100bhp and over 100lbs of torque. You'll be lucky to drop a second off the 0-60 sprint and you risk reliability.

Jaguars are not responsive like BMW's and Audi's to aftermarket modifications. There's no outfit like AMG building beefier engines. The engines are extremely well refined from the factory and are pushing out a very respectable bhp/liter given their displacement in order to go 200k miles or more. Replacing the intake with a cold air intake and opening up the exhaust results in zero gain in peak power and a potential of 5% gain under the curve at higher RPMs. Headers not DOT/smog legal will net you a gain of 5% at the crank.

My advise is to leave it stock.

Sunny

16. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Sunny

Really there is no reason to MOD this truck, it is just fine as is. Power is very good and IT IS A TRUCK not a sports car.

17. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    #17 Dale, Jul 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I know that. See bostonmini's comment above mine. ;)

Sunny

19. mustgofaster

mustgofaster Karting

Mar 27, 2004
    West Lakeland, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the input guys! I don't think I am willing to spend more than a couple thousand on upgrades and obviously that is not an option. I will just have to enjoy the truck as is and I'm sure it will be more than acceptable as I have yet to drive the 06'. I drove a Cayenne Turbo this weekend and wow is that a fast truck. I can't imagine the rover will be close to that in forms of performance. Two totally different trucks. I'll post some pics later this week after my 16 hour drive to colorado to pick up the rover.
    Cheers!

20. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #20 msdesignltd, Jul 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picked up the 06 Range Rover SC on saturday.Took a car service to dealer 100 miles away and drove home.Its Heavy, Its too Quiet inside and out, But the Sirius digital 730 watt reciever makes up for that and the 50 series 20 inch rubber makes fresh asphalt out of the Cross Bronx X way. It is a very cool ride...Kind of mellows you out, speed is not an urgency in this wagon, however the torque on the uphills is g*dsent. I like it. Most of all it is the safefest car bar none on the road today. I will enjoy my commute a little more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Haker1us

Haker1us Rookie

Jan 28, 2006
    I igry i have RR 94 LWB , 90 conty, P 928,
    and this is the best one yet acseleratin in eny speed !!! superb - (6800LB) X5 and lexur 4 cant toch me up hill
    it is lick riding a cloud on hi wind
    but i stil thnking of puting upgrade pully to my supercharger
    enyone have coments on extra 15HP to my 400HP in mid renge RPM's cost $ 250 + lnstal or you can doit you salf if you machanicly incline and carful so far my trani is fine i alvase hade good expirienc with RR tranis and i am not ligth foot
    Love my new (6000+ ml) track - good lock all and safe roads.

22. Haker1us

Haker1us Rookie

Jan 28, 2006
    My appology to all for my english riding but i am tring my best

23. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    If you are looking for a quick SUV, try also, the new Grand Cherokee SRT-8. Yes, I know it's American, but Grand Cherokee's are pretty nice, and I have yet to hear a bad thing about the SRT-8 model. I do love the ne RR Sport though.

24. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    My lease on my Cayenne S is due up in May, and had an '07 on order, however the facelift is delayed at least 6mon / 1yr. Soooo not sure what to get since I loved the Cayenne so much, so test drove the new Cayenne Turbo S....fast just does not due it justice but at $118K a tad more than I wanted to spend. I also looked at the RR Sport SC and liked the speed, and the ride, fet it was a bit small inside and not as lux, but a great vehicle. Settled on a RR HSE. The power is there when you need it (which is not as often), it rides like an "S" class on stilts, and the standard features / few options impressed me.

Just can't figure out colour's since Black int is only in the SC, and Silver with Jet (Grey) does not do it. May go for Green with Tan.