550 Maranello - brake screeching... | FerrariChat

550 Maranello - brake screeching...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TSSCI, Jan 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TSSCI

TSSCI Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My 2000 Maranello has 7K miles and its brake squeal is annoying, and frankly embarassing when pulling up to other traffic at a stop light etc. I can just imagine all the snickering going on around me - you know - look at that fancy expensive car and the noise its brakes are making, etc. If I get the brakes really warm, it will generally go away, but the typical driving I do does not get them to temperature. Any suggestions from those who have cured this problem (anti-squeal goop, different brand of pads, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    The easiest way is to change brands of pads. I have changed several cars to Porterfield Brake Pads with great success. Daniel at Ricambi America will be glad to help you.

3. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    My 1999, 550 does it to, it runs in the ferrari family, gets better in summer.
    In another word it is normal.

4. TSSCI

TSSCI Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    thanks for the replies so far, and I too had heard that the Porterfields should do the trick, but before swapping out new pads for ones that are essentially still new, wanted to make sure it would fix the problem. My 89 328 did the same thing - scuffing the pad surface and chamfering the edges would work for a while and then return. Thanks!

5. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    My 99 also does it. I've got 8000 miles. It's a bit annoying, but its part of the race breed....

6. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Hey, you know me...

When my 328 was in for the big $$$$ service I asked about this, Richard says leave it be as it is normal.
    Dan

7. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    My 2005 575M does it. I was told by the dealer, "If it doesn't squeek, it's not a Ferrari."

8. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    We put on Ferodo DS2500's at the recommendation of a few other members and they are world's better in every way than the stock pads. No squealing, significantly less dust, improved feel and stopping, much friendlier on the rotors, and did I mention NO SQUEALING! And the kicker...much cheaper than ordering stock replacements from the dealer. I can't believe how miserable the stock pads are in comparison. You will not be disappointed! They are described as a hybrid street/track pad. Another member reported tracking his car with these pads and he was very happy with the performance. Good description at this site... http://www.raceshopper.com/ferodo_compounds.shtml

We ordered from here (also recommended by a member) and they were very helpful and knowledgable, just give em a call... http://www.cobaltfriction.com/products/index.asp

Throw those old pads in the garbage, dunno what Ferrari was thinking...

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Ah: now there's a new business opportunity for someone:

All the performance cars I own have a bit of brake squeal under light braking with cold brakes. If I warm the brakes up, it stops. But city gridlock tends to make for cold brakes.

So: The new Romco Automatic Brake Heaters :D

Package consists of a mask which collects all the curses you hurl at the other gridlocked drivers, and uses "invective heating" to convert your ire into brake heat. ;)

Next week: Sledge-O-Matic.

10. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    550 have a slightly awkward anti squeal shim on the front callipers. They can be mis-fitted if not paying close attention.

Check them out, clean them, and use some Hi temp antiseize on all points of contact.

Make sure your service guy cleans (wash/vacuum) the holes in the discs too. It's the dust that squeals, and it gets trapped in the cross drillings... it takes a while to poke a drill through EVERY hole, but it needs to be done for thorough servicing.

11. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    My 2005 612 Scaglietti has the same problem and it's driving me nuts. I'm thinking of selling the F-car and buying a BMW M5 if I can't get it fixed! The dealer first tried to deny it was a problem and then proved incapable of finding a solution.

12. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    My Maranello has same problem, only 1500miles on the pads. For now, try cleaning off the dust regularly (power wash the wheels and calipers) and apply the brakes hard a few times from speed. I also read somewhere rolling backwards done a hill and applying brakes hard helps. Screech seems less of a problem now.
    When pads worn I will replace with Ferodo DS2500.
    Regards,
    Ron

13. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Mine were squealing badly. Just have them changed to fiorano spec.
    Wouldn't say the squealing is totally gone but it is now much better.
    I think squealing is a bit part of the game, although careful break servicing should keep it at very reasonnable levels.

Would be a shame to part with a car for something that trivial.

Tradeur, I am very surprised the dealer can't fix this. Who did you go to ?

14. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    HA! A limitless energy source. You, my friend, have just found a way around the second law of thermodynamics!

"Invective heating." That is just BEAUTIFUL!

15. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    I was thinking about this product, but StopTech write that "This compound produces some noise on the street", so I'm not sure anymore.

16. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Not sure if the Fiorano spec is available on the 612. There's a Handling GTC package which includes Carbon Ceramic brakes, but I've heard these brakes could be even noisier. Is it the Carbon Ceramic brakes that you changed to in your 550?

My dealer HR Owen in London pointed me to the HR Owen service center in Acton, where somebody named Joe handled my car. Joe claims he put in brand new pads (even though the original ones had only 6,000 miles on them so they were not worn out) and that he applied some "CRC Disc Brake Quiet" anti-squeal goo (which I had supplied to him) on the back of the pads. To no avail...

If you can recommend somebody more competent, I'm willing to try.

17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Fiorano spec brakes are just Pagid 4-2 Blues, and available for a fraction of the dealer cost elsewhere.

I use Pagid Yellow, RS19(B), on front of 550 and blue on the rear only, as I've found the blues are still weak on track in the front, but they are fine on road.

The yellows are more expensive than the blues by about 25%. The yellows will squeal a bit though, but not un-manageably....

18. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Fiorano spec on a 575 are Pagid orange. My car sounds like a garbage truck when rolling up to a stop light. I like the incongruity of a 200k car sounding like a garbage truck. To each his own, I guess.

19. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Thanks, didn't know that. Glad they've up graded from the 550 spec.

Pagid Orange are std fitment to 355C FYI, of course the pads are competely different size and shape of course.

20. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Tradeur,

I would not trust HR Owens for servicing. I guess you car is under warranty - so you want it main dealer serviced - so suggest you book it with Maranello Sales to specifically to solve that. They are close to ascott but can arrange pick up and delivery i n london.
    They have received in a few cases mixed reviews but frankly for tough things to sort out, I have found them top notched in my personnal experience.

Otherwise, you can give a call to Karl Verdi. He services my car and always comes up with solutions at decent costs.

I doubt you can not get you 612 to have suffficiently quiet brakes.

21. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I put up with squealing brakes for 4 years on my F355. After reading many posts from this site, I decided to get a set of R4S Porterfield pads from Daniel at Ricambi. Put them on and used the "anti squeal" spray on tacki stuff from Pep Boys. No more nothing! I mean, absolutely quiet, like my wife's Lexus! Hardly any brake dust either! I wouldn't put up with the squealing any longer!!!!

Jeff

22. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
  23. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004

I have found the Pagid orange to be horrible squealers on my Audi, and the Porterfields not much better on the 512. Solved the Audi problem by going over to Porterfields and the 512 by going back to stock.

In both cases I got a big improvement from cleaning the rotors with aircraft spec. brake cleaner. Each pad has a different composition and the material they deposit on the rotors sets up a vibration between the pad and the rotor which we hear as a squeal.

24. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Thank you for the advice. I think this is exactly what I shall do.

25. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    After speaking to the official service center, I found out that NO brake pads are Ferrari-approved for the 612 other than the factory-standard OEM pads.

So for the next few years I'm stuck with screeching brakes because upgrading to more silent pads would void the warranty... Bummer! I've reached a dead end.

As a matter of fact, I don't know of any brake pad manufacturer that sells pads specifically tailored for the 612. And this probably explains why.