First Day of Ownership, and now a problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First Day of Ownership, and now a problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by LW RedTR, Jan 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Prices on these cars are all over the map, so I wouldn't be so quick on the 'paid too much' assessment...it's just they are complicated machines and are getting to the age where a certain amount of 'shaking out' is required.....

I'd rather part with the money under the hood on a car that was in excellent condition trim/paint wise. Sounds as if that's what you have here..

They are simply expensive to maintain, more like a plane or helicopter, and like those type machines, the cost of 'gambling' on deferred maintenance rarely pays off.

Good to hear you are back on the road.......enjoy!

Hook up with the 'network' out there.....bunches of good folks!

2. LW RedTR

LW RedTR Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    California
    It is beautiful, and the leather on the dash hasn't shrunk. Yes, it has the Macintosh installed to assist the Alpine, although so far, for the 17 miles I have been able to drive it, all I listened to was the ENGINE. Thanks for the reassuring words. I forget how nice the car is while mired down in the initially unexpected costs. I finished whining now, and will go pay what I need to to get it on the road in the next few weeks. Look forward to meeting up with whomever is out California way sooner rather than later.

And I REALLY APPRECIATE all of the information. I didn't know how much I didn't know!!

Larry

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! There's LOTS 'not to know'!!

My first one ran well 2 hours of a 13 hour ride back to Texas!

Later there were blown headers.....small engine compartment fires....minor nuisances, like that.....:rolleyes: It sat six months waiting on the new (used) parts....

It's gotten much better with this site and others on the Internet, a later car like yours should be a snap, but they do require some care and feeding...

Get to know Brian if he's close enough.......;)

I use the dealer for stuff like frame realignment, things like that. For all around service procedures they can be beat.....they are busy swapping Enzo engines under warranty, stuff like that. So, see???

Each model has it's weak points......no exemptions!

4. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    Hi Larry,

It really is a beautiful car. A friend and I had a long talk about buying it last Saturday night after looking at it with Jack during the rainstorm. He was going to consider trading in a Dinan M3 for the car. At that point, we had not asked about service issues, yet, but I was impressed by the condition of the car.

I agree I would have been annoyed to learn after the sale that service was due, but I think it will be great once done. I'll be surprised if it doesn't hold its value well, too.

steve

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    YES. Just went through this with a 328, where the belts and basic service were done and the bearings weren't, despite the absence of receipts showing when the bearings had last been replaced. Obviously the engine didn't have to come out, but a 30K service is still significant work.

The lesson learned was that you need to know what parts are due for replacement. And yes, I had the water pump rebuilt at the same time just because he was already in there...

6. LW RedTR

LW RedTR Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    California
    In progress. The engine is out, and I've added the water pump to my major service per recommendations from this group.

Mechanic seems to feel that it is a good car with a strong engine. It didn't really need a water pump, but I'm having it done on recommendation while the engine is out. Even the cam belts FELT fine to me, if a bit loose. Pretty cool seeing the engine out, and the engine bay.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Other than the cost, I feel pretty good about having the work done.