Help! real estate site needed | FerrariChat

Help! real estate site needed

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by lawandorder360, Jan 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Hey there guys,

So as you all (probably) know from my last thread about Collegiate, my family and I might be moving to NYC or brooklyn in the very near future, most likely summer '06. I was assigned the task of finding an apartment for us, and have had marginal luck in finding really great real estate websites.

One site that I did find, however, was www.citihabitats.com

Do any of you know of any other sites like this one with (seemingly) great bang for the buck rentals? I found some really great two bedroom places in Chelsea for about 2400/month.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys, and I hope to get to know you all better in I do indeed move! Maybe a celebratory run? ;) (I'd need a ride though, as I'd only be 16 :))

2. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Real Estate Section in the New York Times.

3. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Be aware that Citi Habitats is a brokerage firm, and like MANY other brokerage firms here in the city are very fond of bait-and-switch apartments. I.e. many "great deal" 2-bedroom apartments for $2400 turn out to be stinkers, and the broker is all the more inclined to show you a "huge step up" for only $4000 / month...:) Also, remember you're going to pay up to a 15% commission for the apartment you find, so $2400 quickly becomes $2750 after fee.

I generally avoid brokers for NYC apartments -- mostly because there are SO damn many of them and finding a good one is nearly impossible (every kid with a cell phone and a pink slip becomes an apartment broker these days).

There are a LOT of no-fee, by-owner apartments out there. Check out nyc.craigslist.org as a starting point. Also, be sure to check out some of the rental-only buildings -- all have in-house rental offices, and you can pretty much walk in and see apartments (all are no-fee).

Some of the owners on the Upper West Side that I know:

www.brodskyorg.com
    www.thehelena.com

Also, this resource looks like it could be useful:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3261

Best of luck!

--Noah

4. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I agree with Noah. If there is a decent 2BR apartment on the market for $2400/mo it's gone in a second (literally), and long before you (the public) can find out. Here in midtown, you pay $2400 for a studio apartment.

A smallish 2BR below 96 street will probably run upwards of $3800, a good sized 2 BR/2BTH $5000-$7000.

There is a lot of preparation you can do yourself on the internet: find "no fee" apartment buildings, and narrow down your search area. If you will go to Collegiate, I suggest you stay on the West-side. Up-and-down traffic is ten times easier than cross town traffic. Midtown West has a lot of new buildings and is an up-and-coming neighbourhood.

Good luck.

5. cute330xigrl

cute330xigrl Rookie

May 3, 2005
    stay far away from citihabits.

craigslist is awesome. just have to be ready to move extremely fast, since its known for having pretty good deals listed.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    If it's at all possible, I'd seriously consider buying. Yes wnen you consider mortgage + maintenance it may be slightly more than what rent might be if you really looked around. Maybe. But you also have something to show for it rather than simply flushing your money down the toilet. You can think of whatever difference there is as just a cheap option on the market.