Porsche 911 or Cayman | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Porsche 911 or Cayman

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Fred2, Jan 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Stability programs are no substitute for limited slip diffs.

Perhaps the Cayman is for you!

2. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    am I the only one who sees no point in the "NEW" cayman?
    just don't get it. looks like a shrunk yet another porsche

3. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
  4. drunkenmaster16x1

drunkenmaster16x1 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2005
    D/FW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    911. It seems the people have spoken....................hell i like both.

5. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Tell the engineers who build the cars, not me. I was simply stating a fact.

6. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Guy's, Porche is in the process of phasing out the old rear engine technology. The Carrera GT and the Boxter/Cayman are the replacement like it or not. German engineering has taken the rear design to heights no one else could, so it is no surprise that Porche will dominate mid-engined design. The Cayman has already bested the 911 around Nurburgring to the tune of four seconds faster with some 40 h.p. less. I guess that speaks enough volume for the worthyness of the chassis package. Oui!

7. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

This, sir, demonstrates an apparent willingness to buy whatever they're selling (and I don't mean cars):

8. r00t61

r00t61 Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    San Diego
    Minority vote - the Cayman...

only if P provides a version with a GT3 engine crammed inside...

9. sobe

sobe Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2005
    LA/Miami
    977 no subsitute ...............

10. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Which just goes to show that BMW is going somewhat downhill as well. Don't try to rationalize it out, not putting a LSD in the new 3, or making it available in the sport package is just a way of cutting cost. BMW built cars to a higher caliber in the past than they do now. Probably part of the reason why I prefer the E30 over any of the more recent models.

11. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    911 for me, I've always liked the shape.

12. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    As most of the guys here are saying gotta go with the 911. And besides those two extra seats could be used somewhat.. I do like the cayman though and the boxster but if you haven't owned a 911 yet go that route (I intend to as well) then buy other models :)

13. PowerDNA

PowerDNA Karting

Sep 5, 2004
    Green Bay, WI
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    911, but i'm partial!

14. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    My vote is the mid-engined model. I applaud Porsche for elevating the mid-engine configuration in their product portfolio - Cayman and Carrera GT. I have owned or raced both rear-engined 911s (6 total from 60's to 90's 911s) and mid-engine cars (328, 914, various open wheel type race cars). It is hard to beat the laws of physics and a mid-engine car beats a rear-engined one with everything else being equal. After all, Porsche's racing history seem to have proven their mid-engine race car prowess in the higher echelons of racing.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of Ferrari mid-engine cars...

15. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
  16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon

er, I mean...

Cayman.

I'm thinking of grabbing a lightly used Cayman after a couple of years (CPO car). If I did another 911 I'd have to back for another 993. IMO, Cayman looks exciting and has a lot of potential - because Porsche doesn't have to devote a whole team to keeping the car's tail in line.

FWIW, the guy who bought my 993 sold his 997 to free up the funds for my car.

I think the 911 has outlived its classic status and needs to bow out gracefully. Porsche can certainly build its uber models (GT3, GT2) on the Cayman platform.

17. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Well, I just had a chance to stop by the local P car dealer for a few minutes, and had a chance to sit it the 911 and Cayman.
    The fit, finish and feel of the cars are similar. For my 5'10" 155lb frame, both offer plenty of interior room.
    Both seem to have the Ferrari like pedal positioning where the clutch is centered under the steering wheel, and the brake and gas pedal are offset to the right.
    In both cars, my right leg is up against the tunnel.
    It would be easy to go back and forth between the red car and one of these.

Now, I just need to get the time to schedule as test drive.

18. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I owned an '85 308 and sold it to buy the brand new Boxster S. Quite honestly, guys, the new Boxster S is an infinitely superior car...only the 308's looks are more appealing, but get this...the majority (seriously) of my guy friends and casual observers (mostly my female friends that don't have a clue about cars) say they like the Porsche better. But that's not the point of this thread...the choice between the 911 and the Boxster S/Cayman S was a clear one for me and both were very easily in my budget. Boxster S...or the Cayman S. The cars handle like no other and are known to be better overall performers than their big brother 911. Side-by-side (and this is clearly just personal preference) I think the Cayman looks better than the 911. I'm 6'2 and 210lbs. I fit perfectly in the Cayman (it's actually slightly more comfortable than the Boxster S because you can adjust the seat farther back). For me, the choice was convertible or hard-top...and I love the open air. AUTOMOBILE magazine said in last months issue that if you could own only one sports car for the rest of your life, the Boxster S was the choice. I understand why. And one other note...I never wanted a Boxster before the 2005 model because I was inclined to believe, like many others, that it was very much a chick car. With the new design (including the Cayman in this thought as well) the Boxster is more masculine and has a great sound. Boxster S/Cayman detractors I can almost bet have near zero experience with these cars.

19. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Sat4re, that was very well put because I just happen to agree. I was thinking of selling or trading in my Boxter S and getting a Cayman and then I thought I just couldn't bear to part with the Boxter, it drives so nice and I am just so emotionally attached, its just my favorite to drive, so I just decided to keep it and still get the Cayman, but I think I'll wait till next year.

20. lateralus

lateralus Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just to support Aureus' assertion that the Cayman/Boxster is a better platform, I recall watching an episode of Top Gear from the most recent British season where they reviewed the Cayman. Clarkson had an interesting chart which showed the specs of the Boxster, Cayman, and 911, and all of the Cayman's specs, the horsepower, size of engine, etc. Here are the numbers:

Car: Engine, Horsepower, Torque, Top Speed

Boxster S: 3.2 L, 276 bhp, 236 lb-ft., 166 mph

Cayman S: 3.4 L, 291 bhp, 251 lb-ft, 171 mph

911 Carrera: 3.6 L, 321 bhp, 273 lb-ft, 177 mph

I think it is interesting how neatly the Cayman's numbers fit between the Boxster and the Carrera, and to me at least it is almost clear that the Cayman was "dumbed down" to fit a certain budget/market. I personally have a Boxster, I think it's simply a blast to drive with the top down (as others have attested to), but if I had to go with a coupe, i'd lean slightly toward the 911 (though I love the Cayman platform). Tough call.

-Jon

21. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Bubbaland, USA
    Full Name:
    Disgruntled Dave
    911!!!!!! I'm also partial to the 911. :cool:

22. Cartman

Cartman Karting

Aug 3, 2004
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    997S > Cayman S > Boxster S > 997

I drove a Cayman S yesterday, it made my Boxster (99) feel like a dog. They Cayman doesn't have quite as much bite as the 997S, but it is PLENTY fast. And it handles better than the 997S with PASM that I drove. You just can't argue with the mid-engine design, it really makes a difference.

The only problem I had was that it's hard to keep the cost under $70K when you start optioning it out with "the necessities". Gotta love Porsche. :)

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yeah the Porsche option sheet is a scary place to visit... what I found when I looked at used 996's (before deciding on a 993) is that most of the options don't hold their value in the secondary market - i.e., if someone drops a couple grand on color-to-sample seatbelts or something that money is gone.

I think the Cayman is still too new for there to be many CPO cars, but I'm watching. Porsche got it right.

24. Maseroche

Maseroche Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Khalid
    Drive both and decide for yourself. I got a 996 turbo S and a Cayman S and to tell you the truth? The Cayman corners and handles so much better. The steering feel is amazing! It feels so light and tossable.

The 911 will always remain an icon. It's tough to overlook it for something that just came out and I might not have baught the Cayman, had I not also owned a 911 at the same time. Saying this, I'm not taking away anything from the Cayman, it's a superb car that begs to be revved and it relishes corners like no other Porsche, save for the CGT ofcourse.

25. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    The "Icon" part gets me with this one.
    The cars have a VERY similar appearance and specifications. (wheelbase, track, Engine etc. ) The Cayman has better weight distribution.
    If they stopped making the 911 in 2005, and re-named the Caymen the 2006 model year 911, I do not think there would be as much controversy over these 2 cars.
    The 2006 911 (Cayman) would have been an instant Icon.