550 Maranello - brake screeching... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 Maranello - brake screeching...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TSSCI, Jan 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Thats crap, and they know it.

Ask for a ride around the block in a demonstrator if there is one available, if its brakes dont squeal, they must fix yours.

Factory brakes are not made by Ferrari. They're out sourced. I don't know the specifics for a 612, but I'm sure pads are available elsewhere if need be.

2. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Tradeur,

I concur with the above.
    I think thiss is just careless attitutde from HR Owen who do not want to stand up to their work.
    I would be very surprised Maranello`s the same answer. Brakes are just brakes. They are not squealing by design but are squealing because they are worn or poorly fitted.
    On the warranty note, next time the dealer will tell you that you void your guarantee with aftermarket wheels, non ferrari battery or different tires ? This is total bull**** imho.
    I would urge you to talk to a few offficial dealers and get their feedback. Also talk to Verdi. My experience of 612 is not extensive but last time I saw one in MC or Ldn it was not squealing. Probably other 612 owners can give their input but it`s the first time I hear this.

T

3. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Maranello said they could take a look at my brakes for £110/hour+VAT, but not change the pads. They had no idea whether they would be able to fix the noise problem. Personally I doubt they can.

I think brake squealing is rather widespread on big Ferrari V12's. It happens when the brakes are warm and you press the brake pedal gently to engineer a smooth deceleration, not when you brake hard. These brakes are designed to stop you under hard braking, not to be silent under soft braking. It's an unwanted side-effect that is fairly common with harder brake pad compounds.

I've spoken to other 612 owners and none of them said their brakes are completely silent. I think it's a matter of degree, and somebody like me who drives it to work through London stop-and-go traffic every day would naturally end up towards the higher end of the noise spectrum.

What I plan to do now, in this order:
    1) Try a proper brake pad "bedding-in", whatever that is.
    2) If that doesn't work, start a thread on brake squeal specifically in 612's in this forum.
    3) If that doesn't work, try living with it in the spirit of:
    4) If that doesn't work, trade it for a Bentley or BMW M5.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm sorry, but I'm going to call B.S. on that advice from the dealership.

That's simply their way of saying "we're not interested in your problem".

Disc brakes have been used on cars for 40+ years. Human beings, which are pretty smart animals, have found ways to eliminate the screech on street cars and extremely high performance street/track cars like Ferraris or Lambos.

1. Proper pads
    2. "true" rotors
    3. Correct installtion
    4. Bedding

=

No screech.

Most Bentley's are as big and heavy (if not more) than a 612. Somehow they figured out how to stop the car without screeching. The M5 is basically an Panzer Tank in terms of weight and power... it stops quietly too.

You paid a huge sum of money for that 612. It should provide equally huge satisfaction.

5. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Agreed, but I think it's not just the dealership who's not interested in my problem, it's the whole Ferrari organization all the way up to Jean Todt and to the engineers in Maranello who have been designing these brakes for 40+ years.

6. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi there,

I have had the same problem on my Maranello.

Solution is to buy Hawk pads (hps compound) from Cambridge Motorsport

Zak