Nitrous Mondial/308qv | FerrariChat

Nitrous Mondial/308qv

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by racespecferrari, Jan 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I am new to this site and dont know if this has been posted before, but is there anybody out there who has used nitrous on a 308qv or mondial 3.0qv, I know there are a lot of purists and people who refer to this as cheating but I know you can get good gains from it, I know all the principles and fitting it, but I have never met anyone who has fitted one to an older mondial qv, I have seen a very quick 348 which was a lot faster than me in a 355 on the straights on a trackday last year, I have a good strong 308qv engine with 41k on it so I know it will be ok, I just don't know what a safe bhp jet to use, anyone out there who can help please,

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    There is a place that I think sells a nitrous kit for a Mondial:
    www.stcorsa.com
    Check in the Mondial section.

3. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    There was a story about someone adding Nitrous to a 308 then running it at El Mirage Dry Lake--the result was a blown engine :-(

Mark

4. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi Snj5, Thanks for the info, the st corsa nitrous kit is fitted to a mondial t the same as the 348 I was originally mentioning, it also doesn't explain what jetting is used

5. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi Mark 328, I know what you are saying about blowing up engines but nitrous is a bit like alcohol, if you drink too much you will fall over, and if you put too much nitrous in an engine it falls to bits, if boy racers can stick it on 1.6 engines safely upto 60-75hp, then 50hp should be a good starting point on a 3.0 v8 engine, I have a progressive controller which is designed to eliminate wheelspin on drag racing where it injects it in in small amounts then larger and larger, this is also good for putting less strain on the engine, the only other major problem there is is that if the nitrous is still injecting when the rev limiter cuts in the nitrous will cause detonation, which can hole a piston, I have a Msd digital window switch to cut out the nitrous at 200rpm prior to the rev limiter cutting in, as I said I know I am fairly safe with 50hp, I just wondered if anyone has gone as far as 100hp safely, obviously the age of the engine is my main concern

6. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Why are you trying this, to drag race it, or for around town. Fill in your profile so we know who we are talking to. Welcome!!

7. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi, I use a 355 a lot and when I get in this it seems slow, but I still love this car and would never part with it, I do a lot of trackdays and intend to do some 'run what you brung' events, I will fill in the profile shortly

8. dd61999

dd61999 Rookie

Oct 19, 2005
    I have used nitrous on many cars with no problems, with all the companys I have dealt with I think nitrous express is the best, they are one of the most respected in the nitrous community right now. Give them a call I would suggest a 100 horsepower shot with a progressive controller. here is the link

www.nitrousexpress.com

9. rikilamb

rikilamb Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    surrey
    Full Name:
    riki lamb
  10. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi, I prefer the Nitrous express, I have almost a complete set up with a carbon fibre bottle, I had a wizards of nos kit on a drag bike and I wasn't that impressed by the quality, nylon high pressure lines etc..., you weren't at snetterton last july on the foc trackday, I have emailed nitrous express and when they reply I will post it here if anyone else is interested in fitting a kit and need to know the safe jetting

11. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Another 100 hp always gets my attention. How do you see using Nos at a road track? How much time do you see yourself on Nos per "shot"? How long would you expect a bottle to last with 30-minute track sessions? As you can see, I'm a novice when it comes to Nos. I've only seen Nos on a drag car and on a turbo setup to alleviate turbo lag.

12. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Hi,
    Firstly, I got an email back from nitrous express and it as follows:''I would recommend not going any higher than 100hp. It should handle 75hp easily though''.
    So with this in mind I will play with 50-60hp using the progressive controller, then slowly raise it from there.

On the foc trackdays here in the uk you go in classes, I normally use a 355, but I really want to use the mondial, I have stripped it out for weight loss, and I will only use the nitrous occasionally on a straight if there are a few 'equally matched' cars in front, just to blast past, I'm not sure how long the bottle will last, the carbon fibre bottles are 12lbs, so it should last the whole day (hopefully), I will keep you posted of my progress and would still like to hear from others experiences using this on a 308qv engine

13. dd61999

dd61999 Rookie

Oct 19, 2005
    I typically get 9 good 1/4 mile runs with a 10 pound bottle with a 100 h.p. jet, you can get a few more runs after that but pressure starts to drop and you will not be putting out the full 100 hp

14. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    "I typically get 9 good 1/4 mile runs with a 10 pound bottle with a 100 h.p. jet, you can get a few more runs after that but pressure starts to drop and you will not be putting out the full 100 hp".

How does that equate to actual time running on Nos? (For example, 9 runs at 10 seconds each = 90 seconds on the "button?)

15. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Intreresting, which car do you have that fitted to

16. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name: