Chicago Auto Show | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chicago Auto Show

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Formula 1, Jan 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Guess I'll be behind the ropes drooling as usual :(

2. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Bill,

As a hand me down recipient of a few Benz in my short life and that car being my Dad's Arab Oil King like collection, I was given those passes maybe two years ago. Its ok, more like tooting your horn going into a F1 like motorhome to see yet more brochure handouts and free cookies and bottled water in a space that carefully tries to stretch to fit 30 people tired of walking by placing them at little Starbucks coffee like tables. They gave my soon to be wife and I some sort of gift bag upon leaving, which I don't recall what was in it and I actually gave mine to one of the suicide kid brochure collectors after he saw me leave the oh and Im so important VIP area. Im serious, I think there was a sign on the exit door, " VIPs Only."

The Ferrari pass? Im guessing its only to go beyond the border and see the car up close? Someone please correct me if Im wrong... In the best high school mindset I think that is killer cause everyone who is not in the "in crowd" wonders who you are. But to be honest, is that very important? Seeing a car you could possibly drive at a dealer if you really are serious and capable of purchasing a 200K+ auto? I got in just by waving the Maranello keys and once up there, to the awe of the crowd left behind, I wasn't really impressed. But damn did I look important! Now Im going to beat up some little kids cause Im a big man...

I think its great that people we know here on Fchat, true Ferrari fans ( who know the History from the day of Alfa and sleeping on park benches to Shuey today and take more pride in their 308s than some rap star in his Enzo ), get to see the cars up close. But I have such a strong gut feeling that half the people you see inspecting the cars up close with special passes are just there to elevate themself and couldn't afford the car anyway. If they're there to say hi to their favorite sales rep, well I think that is a class act.

Formula1 Frank, you want to see some great cars up close and avoid the look at me factor, just go to a dealer once you are ready to buy your 308 or something. Avoid the carnival and live the dream instead.

RocketBoy

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #28 tifosi12, Jan 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually to me that pass is killer. Because it is the best way to take really cool pics of the cars. It can be done leaning in from the outside but it is a lot easier if you're in the stand. And taking pics for me is all what it is about. It is nice when they let you sit in the car, but again to me that is more about getting in the inside to take pics.

Granted I could take those pics at the dealer, but shooting the car in the environment it is in (the glitzy auto show) is part of the deal. And from a photographer's perspective I have to say, I'm actually happy they seal the stand off to the public: You can shoot the cars without a hundred people around them.

In the past I got lucky as the good folks from Continental recognized me and waved me in (just as Mike did at the FVM stand), but it is even more reassuring to have that invitation in your pocket just in case.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Correct. Sorry, I meant that most dealerships will give you a free ticket to the autoshow. In addition, I have not received an invite to get onto the Ferrari stand at the Chicago autoshow, although I did (through the owners site) for Detroit. Any reason why I wouldn't get one for Chicago?

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Maybe FNA sorts them regionally. For some reason you must have fallen into the MI group I suppose. Because e.g. I didn't get an invite for Detroit.

6. sklitz11

sklitz11 Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2004
    D.P. Illinois
    Full Name:
    Vince C.
    I take it those Ferrari passes are not just handed out to just anyone.

Looks like I will have to the Auto Show as a "behind the roper"....
    What day is everyone heading up there?
    Thanks.
    Vince

7. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    That doesn't make too much sense though. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Oh well, I can always e-mail them and get one I'm sure.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Frank and I are going on opening Friday, Feb 10. Would be nice if we could team up for a beer at the hotel bar.

9. O-Ace

O-Ace Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Chicago / Glenview
    Full Name:
    Awais
    I'll be there if you wanna meet up.

-Awais

10. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    All these Ferrari owners complaining about $10 tickets :)

....or are you talking about free press tickets? ha

11. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Screw the auto show, what just to see one or two cars? I keep telling you guys go to the real show Pebble Beach to get your fill of Ferraris, Lambos, anything Italian, and tons of the best historics in the US. Up front and very personal. Frank and Andreas can atest to some of the pics I showed them.

12. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I am going to have to disagree on this one my friend. For all of the sacrifice and struggle I have gone through to get this car. For all of the dreams I had about this car. For all the dollars this car will cost me. You bet your sweet ass I will be there stranding tall and eating up EVERY BIT of walking through those ropes into the hallowed land of VIP'dom. Where everything is lollypop walks and sugarplum wishes. Where the roads are paved in 24 carat and the paparazzi clamor and shout my name.

Oh, it's not like that?? Well it should be!!! I have a damn Ferrari baby!!! ;-) Sweeter words were never spoken!! And it was a long, damned road to get it!!! ;-) But it's mine. And I am going to savor EVERY minute of it!!!!!!! Pas me a roll cause this cat is gonna soak up the au' jus!!!!

But that's just me!!!!! ;-)

Bill

13. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Boy let's put it on a little heavy. It's still only a car. Best of luck if it turns you on that much.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You don't get it: It is not about the $ 10 entry fee to the show. Who cares about $ 10?

It is all about the PRICELESS entry to the Ferrari stand which is closed to the public.

15. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

HAH! Wait till you have to pay $17 to park.... hahaha....

I got my Ferrari exhibit pass in the mail too, but if you know any of the guys there, you can get in also. Sometimes i see the guys from Continental there that know me, then you can get in without a pass.... (Thats into the Ferrari arena)

I have always went durring the week, if you get there about 4pm, it's not too bad until they close, you can get through the entire place a couple times. If it snows that day, no one will show up and you'll have the place to yourself, that has happened to me a few times, it was great!

16. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Look for me....Im gonna streak across it!

17. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    $15 if you do.

18. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    uuummmmmm, I did an internet search on you... turns out you do not have $15 dollars to your name, you FRAUD!

19. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Hehe....that's a good one!

20. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    If it was "just a car", your car would still be a Vette and you wouldn't be here, have gone to Pebble Beach, etc........

21. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    But mine "IS" still titled, licensed, and insured as one. It's just runs in the custom class. That's the reason I got banded from Chevy Vette Fest. The promoter banded me after winning gold there for three shows. He stated mine was a Ferrari and not a customized Vette. Bets me. Either way Italian styling and American reliablility. Some day I'll get my "REAL" toy, but until then it's still fun cruising. See you on the streets!!!!

22. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I know that it is still titled as one. I am just saying, if Ferrari wasn't Ferrari, you wouldn't even THINK to get its lines to look like a Ferrari. And you wouldn't go out to Pebble. And you would hang out on this forum. And you wouldn't be aiming to get one.

You don't see many Vettes looking like Chevy's. But you DO see them looking like Ferraris.

You can't say, it's just a car.

No one that owns one can truly say it. Or they would have gotten one that is cheaper to fix and WAY better in the performance dept.

There is no good reason to get a Ferrari. But who needs a good one?? ;-)

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We were watching the Top Gear Episode "Buy an Italian Supercar for < 10k quid" over the weekend and Karen was stunned to see the utter impracticality and uselessness of these cars. It is one of the best episodes of Top Gear and an instant classic for any Ferrari owner. After you watch it, you just want to run to your garage and hug your GM, Toyota or Honda and thank it for being alive.
    :)

24. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes, I too have an invitation from FNA to go into the Ferrari Booth. But, in the past, have gotten in by knowing someone from one of the Ferrari Dealers in the area. And, I bought my car at one of them.

Yes, you can get either Full "Free" Passes to the Auto Show. Or "Discount Passes" with a few $$ off from most Dealerships in the area. But, start asking early. They go fast!

Andreas. (and anyone else who would like to meet up with us.) I will be driving my Van down there if you need a ride home again. I will probably go soon after they open to look at other stuff, (New Challenger, Camaro, 'Vette, Imperial,) and we can meet up, have a beer, and go see the Ferrari's. Last year, Mario was there but only from 12-1PM. I'll have my phone with me, and On.

I also need to renew my Drivers License this year. And that is THE BEST PLACE to Do It. NO LINES!!! No Motor Vehicle Facility B.S.!!! It only takes about 5 Minutes. So,if anyone else is up for renewal. Bring your renewal slip along. You'll be Glad that you did.

25. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I expect nothing less from my Honda, but I still want to "pet" the Ferrari! 6 more weeks 'till spring!