Anyone else doing W. Glen May1/2/3/4? | FerrariChat

Anyone else doing W. Glen May1/2/3/4?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by enjoythemusic, Feb 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Will be doing the FCA Watkins Glen dates May 3 and 4 (waiting for registration forms). Already registered for the SCDA http://www.scda1.com event two days prior (many thanks Dennis FCA NER for the great recommendation). This means four days in a row at Watkins Glen :)

Anyone else going for four days and want to meet up?

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Steve,

I'll be at the Glen May 3 & 4 with the FCA, but not 1 & 2. Already made my hotel reservations. Really looking forward to it. Just one thing -- it was REALLY cold there last year the first couple of days in May, and the garages are up on top of the hill and open to the wind. It even snowed a little. So be sure to bring along some warm clothes, just in case!

Regards,
    Steve

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Many thanks for the tip, will do!

4. cab7104

cab7104 Karting

Mar 25, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    It's too bad this is during the week, I was thinking about stopping by... its only a couple of hours from me to the Glen. We will have to see what happens with my class schedule.

Craig

5. Ronbo

Ronbo Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Morris County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Apologies for the (partial) hijack, but does anyone have experience with SCDA?

I am a total novice on track but would like to do occasional track days with my 456. I intend to do a racing school but not necessarily before my first track day. I figure if I get hooked I will buy a track toy - I dread the thought of paying for Ferrari sheet metal if I shunt - but I figure I can at least get my feet wet in my own car.

So: (a) Is this a really stupid idea? (b) Is SCDA a good place to start?

</hijack>

Thanks,
    Ron

6. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

SCDA is one of the few track day organizations that take instruction seriously. A number of sketchy outfits 'employ' volunteer instructors (yikes!). SCDA is highly recommended.

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    If you do try a track day and really like it, sign up for "Skippy School" or one of the other 3 day track programs. Skip Barber School at Lime Rock is a great way to learn to drive on the track. Before you go out and buy a toy, do a course, talk to people, decide what you want to do on the track. If you want to get a competition license and get into a racing series, there are a lot of ways to do that and cars differ greatly (as does the money commitment). If you just want to do track days or driver ed days, there are a bunch of different groups, and what you drive may determine which groups you can play with. So you need to decide how serious you want to get with that too.

Most important, when you're starting, learn the right way and take your time. There's a lot more to driving safely and fast on the track than you imagine. Safety is first. Fast will come as you gain more experience. This is not about testosterone, it's about skill and experience. And fun!

8. Ronbo

Ronbo Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Morris County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Good advice, gents, thank you much.

Hope to see you at the track.

Ron

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Now Steve, I don't mean to pick on you but your very sage advice would appear to be in conflict with your moniker "FasterIsBetter" would it not? ;)

Bob S.

10. sp308qv

sp308qv Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve Ponzetto
    I'll Be there!

11. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    SCDA is a great place to start. I've sent a lot of "first timer" friends to SCDA, and they've all loved it. Instructors are the same ones that instruct for BMWCCA, PCA and FCA (I'm often there instructing, but don't think I'll make WGI this spring). You get a lot of track time for your money. And don't worry too much about a shunt, at least initially. The Beginner group is often times the safest group to hit the track!

vty,

--Dennis

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Steve-sent you a pm.