My 77 308 may be totalled..Houston repair facilities? | FerrariChat

My 77 308 may be totalled..Houston repair facilities?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by greg328, Jan 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm just sick about this....last evening I was traveling east on Memorial, exiting to go north on Waugh. It's a right-hand circle to get up onto the overpass. As I was just about to enter the circle, a pick-up truck lunged from the left over in front of me to make the exit. I had to lock up the brakes, and I skidded right over the far curb, destroying the front lower valance, radiator framing, suspension and steering is out of whack....
    There's also a slight buckle in the left a-plliar, but the glass is intact, and the doors close fine.

I had the car towed today to Ferrari of Houston, and the body shop manager said that the insurance company (Allstate) will probably total the car, because repairs will probably exceed 75% of value. My car is insured for $28,500 stated value.

I must say I'm distraught. This was a pristine car, with many custom additions. I paid $28,500 for it, but I invested over $5000 in upgrades.

What are my options? The Allstate rep has not been out yet, but I'm sure when he sees the FoH estimate, he'll want to total the car.
    My question is: are there other Houston-area repair facilities that may be able to fix my car properly for a lower price? I had it towed to FoH first because I wanted the best possible job done, but now I'm wondering if I should go elsewhere. Can other facilities access parts as easily as the dealer? Are 308 front box frame parts/lower valances available anyway?

Should I just cash it out and save for a 328?

I'm a 41-year-old, 6'3" grown man, and I've been on the verge of tears since this happened!! This is my first Ferrari, and I didn't realize how connected to the car I'd become!!

I would appreciate any advice....

Regards,
    Greg in Houston.....
    1977 308 GTB

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You need to talk to carreaper. His first 308 was purchased with similar damage, so he'll have facts on those repairs.

Unfortunately, the resale value of any car takes a huge hit whenever any hint of frame damage is in the history. You can probably take a lower settlement and keep the car, but you better plan on KEEPING the car.

3. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Sorry to hear about your losss..

Did you get the plate info of the guy who cut you off, were there any witnesses?

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Tillman,
    My plan was to never sell, so that's not an issue.

I can take a lower settlement and keep it, but wow, it would be expensive to fix her, unless I can find a more reasonable, qualified Houston-area body shop.
    Maybe I should just cash her out, but it breaks my heart to think about losing this particular car. However, I've always wanted a 328.....

Dave,
    No witnesses, he just kept on going up the curve--long gone.....
    Wouldn't have mattered anyway I think; the numbers are what they are....
    UNLESS, again, I can get a reasonable estimate from someplace, less than 75% of $28,500.

sniff, sniff........:(

Greg

5. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Greenfield Collision in North Houston (near 1960 and Kukeyndahl). Their work is superb. If they can not handle the job Ferda at Vintage motorcars car.

Sorry to hear that happened. I lived in Bayou Park after I graduated LSU...I know that curve well.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hmmmmmmm........*thinking*

Man, I'm sorry Greg, maybe my advice wasn't the best, although from your description I certainly wouldn't expect an estimate of that magnitude.

Did you explain to FoH your acceptance of used/repro parts?

Keep in mind the insurance works for you, as does FoH....man, it sounded like a fender bender on the phone.

Bummer. If FoH cannot keep the price down I'd tow it to my guy..Sante Fe TX, he has the frame equipment as well and the shop rate will be lower/hour.
    Let me know if you need some more phone numbers.

As I said earlier, the legal term is "Faulty Avoidance"....next time smack em'.....although then you have to explain THAT.....

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I can recommend 4M Body in Lewisville, Tx. Long tow, but Jano's an Fchatter and has worked on a bunch of the local's cars.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Sorry to hear your misfortune, times like this I wish I still had my bodyshop to help you out. (Dairy Ashford & Memorial area) We worked on couple Ferraris, and a lot of Porsches, BMW's Rolls Royce, Bently, SCCA race cars etc... As for trustful shops that will work with you in the Houston area, I haven't got a clue. Keep us posted & don't let the insurance company beat you down.

9. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    One thing you have to understand about FOH is they have a reputation to up hold regarding the repairs to you car. Anything less than better than new is unacceptable to them. Most of the clients drive V-12's and 355's and up.

If they did a "good enough" job on your car it could hurt their reputation and that's the last thing they want.

Check a few other places before you decide it's over. Unless there's frame damage in which case you may want to total it.

Next time you buy a car for $28,500 and make $5000 in upgrades you may want to consider insuring it for more money.

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Sean,
    Yep, I should have raised the value on my policy, never got around to it...

Lesson learned...

Can you recommend any other local repair facility?

I'm going over there today to have a look at it on the lift. It will then be eveident what I need to do....

My personal attachment to the car tells me to do all I can to save it, but if the front box frame can't be repaired, it won't make sense financially to repair. Cash out and start over. At that point my concern becomes getting Allstate to pay the full stated value. I'll need to prove my car's worth....

I'll post an update later today..

Thanks for everybody's input..

Greg

11. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    My adice: Let Allstate pay you in full for the loss of the car. Since you are the owner of the car, tell the insurance company that you also wish to keep the "salvage". You have a right to do this. I am very good friends with Steve at FOH who wrote your estimate and he can advise you how to do this. You would have no money out of pocket, you get to keep the car (with a salvage title) and you get a check from the insurance company. Then it is your option on what happens next.

BUT DO NOT GET A CHEAP REPAIR. FOH is the best at doing CORRECT repairs.

12. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Sorry, I don't know of any other. I have a Euro front valence sitting in my garage. I had intended to put it on my car but just have not gotten around to it.

If you salvage the car and keep it, let me know. I might be interested in buying some parts from you if you part it out.

13. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg

Won't Allstate want to keep the salvage, to recover their loss? I'd LOVE to collect the replacement cost PLUS keep the car, but I doubt they'll let me do that... Are you sure about this?

Greg

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg

Sean,
    Would you want to sell the valance, if I end up rebuilding?
    If I part her out, I'll let you know.

Greg

15. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I probably would. It's black (boxer trim) and used. THere are a few scrapes here and there but those are on the bottom. the rest looks pretty good.

Let me know and you can come take a look at it. I think new repro. ones are ~$600.

16. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
  17. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Speed Racerette,
    Not sure if I should be disturbed by the above thread or not..

I've only had the car insured for 13 months. Surely they wouldn't devalue it severely, if at all. These classic Ferraris are NOT depreciating, as I see it.

Am I going to have to research my car's value myself (recent local market) in order to protect myself? What recourse do I have other than going to court? Since I paid the exact amount for the car as the stated value on my insurance policy, shouldn't that be enough to prove it's accuracy as a value measurement?

Greg

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You don't get to have your cake and eat it to...

If you get a check for a total loss you DO NOT get to keep the car for free salvage.
    Your insurance company will SELL it to the highest bidder as a salvage. The buyer is then free to rebuild it, part it out, use it as a coffee table, or whatever.

19. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yep, I figured that...

I went over to FoH today, car wasn't on the lift yet, will be tomorrow.

I'll follow up.....

This REALLY SUCKS!!! I loved that car...it was near perfect.......:(

Greg

20. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Upgrades meaning what ? If wheels, stereo or other removables, can you get them back if they keep the car.
    Seperate yourself from the emotional attachment to the car, your next will be better, stronger, faster; kinda like the $6 Million Dollar Man. Unlike him this one may not be able to be rebuilt (properly).

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    David, I like your attitude! I'm really trying to do that! I think maybe the Big Guy upstairs is allowing me to learn a lesson about attachment to worldly things....

My upgrades were numerous: Rotary A/C compressor, Varishocks/springs, Ultimate pedals, DashMat, window motors, mirrors,
    Speedline 17" wheels, Saner roll bars, poly a-arm bushings, fire extinguisher, Alpine stereo and amp, Momo steering wheel, Cibie headlights w/ harness, new radiator fans (crunched, I'm sure..frontal impact).

Will I be able to keep upgrades for things I can't replace with original?
    For example, I no longer have the OE wheels, shocks/springs. I do have the OE roll bars and York compressor.

This sucks...

Greg

22. arium

arium Karting

Jun 16, 2005
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Steve H
    From my own past experience with a total loss vehicle the insurer allowed my to substitute any added on parts with factory type originals. ie: the new optima battery could be subbed for an older regular lead acid. The upgraded wheels and tyres could be replaced with the factory type wheels. Same with the stereo etc.

Insurance becomes problematic when a vehicle gets totalled because it is a time when everyone wants to cut their losses. Pay the minimum and dump the car. A decent adjuster will let you 'restore' the vehicle back to factory specs unless there are declarations for custom accessories like paint, bodywork, audio or wheels etc. Obviously if they've insured that extra liability and are going to be paying out on it they deserve the spoils.

No one ever wins on a t/l. Personally I'd take the cash and move on to something new. At least you're building on a fresh new memory.

Steve

23. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Sorry Greg...wasn't trying to bum you out. I did an extensive amount research on stated value policies vs. agreed upon value policies for my Porsche (oddball older car). The bottom line difference is a little loophole that allows the insurer the option to pay ACV, actual cash value based upon classic car blue book, NADA, etc. With an agreed upon value policy, the payout in a loss is the agreed upon value on the policy. The price you paid for the car has nothing to do with how the insurance co. will determine it's value. Allow them to determine market value on your car - if it is not what you believe it should be, then it will be up to you to prove otherwise.

I'm no insurance expert but I'm a pretty good drill sargent so that was what I was able to get out of the interview process with various insurance agents.

24. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Greg - Hope you get words of encouragement from FoH - if anyone can fix it, they certainly are the ones. Whatever the outcome is from this, the agreed on value is certainly the way to go. We've got that on the Ferrari and the car is treated just the same as our other five insured vehicles - no restrictions whatsoever just because it's a Ferrari.

Good Luck,
    Carol

25. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Carol.

I do have faith in FoH, but the preliminary report is that it's probably a write-off, simply because of the relatively low value of the 308.
    We'll get it on the lift tomorrow and get a better look..

I'm convinced the car could be fixed, if a donor 308 could be located.
    All it needs is the front 1/3.....

By the way, my insurance policy is a "stated value" type, not "agreed value" type, so I may be in for a battle.... I hope not..

Greg