Do you think that a 348 will become a classic? | FerrariChat

Do you think that a 348 will become a classic?

Discussion in '348/355' started by GERRA456gt, Feb 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GERRA456gt

GERRA456gt Formula 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Australia, Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    The title says it all!!!
    But for me i dont ever think that this car will become a classic:(

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

Some love it very much. It did bring some new things out for Ferrari.

But deep down we all know....

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Could you specify your definition of a classic? I think every Ferrari will appeal to people only some more than others. If you're talking about value I'm more than happy that there are tipos that are less popular and thus less expensive to buy. Keeps my options alive.

4. GERRA456gt

GERRA456gt Formula 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Australia, Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Do you think that it could become a classic like a 308Gtb/ 328, something along those lines in the future?

hence will the 348 be a classic?

5. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Made me smile :)

It will get older, and in that sense it will become a classic.
    As far as being an iconic Ferrari, a design defining an era, no, it never was, so why should it become one in the future. But, these things don't make it a bad Ferrari.

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    IMHO no. I think it has its thunder stolen by the Testarossa in the looks and impressions department. I also think it had a hard time as a successor to the 308/328 which are classics. This all isn't helped when the 355 came out which was an improvement to me (agian: in the looks department).
    As to performance and handling I only drove a 328 and a 348 for an hour so I can't comment that much.

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    This was the first car used in the Ferrari Challenge. Once put into this configuration, it is a fine car. Direct stearing, who needs air conditioning anyway, and don't forget the all important ear plugs! Yes, it is a modern day, so to speak, classic.

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

Would an iconic-status be necessary to label a car a classic? Would you call a 365 GT 2+2 an iconic Ferrari? Would you label it a classic?

I think the 348 is mostly hampered by productionnumbers in becoming a classic. Same goes for the 355, 360 and F430.

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Agree - Production numbers too high. Nice car non the less.

10. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ferrari built some 8,000 308's over a 10 year span. The early steel and glass ones are beginning to inch upward in price. How many of that original 8000 still exist? I highley doubt 25% could be pulled together worldwide that still run or could run.

Dodge made several hundred thousand Dodge Challengers, how many of those still exist?

The high production numbers initially cheapen any car, but because its considered cheap, people drive them into the ground until the numbers are low. Given enough time, anything really cool becomes a clissic. I have an 83 MB 380SL. Everyone has always called it a classic, and they made as many of them as all of Ferraris production from 1947 to date. Just sit back and watch the 348 be abused, crashed, modified rediculously, and burned to the ground, and it will be a classic in no time. And I would hang onto those removed side strakes if I were you.

11. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark

I think the spiders will do well. Only 1090 were ever made. I wonder how many are left? 800 or 900 ?

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think all Ferraris will eventually be considered classics. Will it be as popular as the 308? No. But neither will the 328 which (almost) everyone here agrees is the better car compared to the 308. The fact that 348 owners appreciate the car's strong suits will create a following for the car. It will not become an iconic Ferrari model as the 308 / TR will, but in 30 years at a car show I'm sure people will say 'Look at that classic 80's Ferrari!'.
    BT

13. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Mini's, early VW Beetles, FIAT 500's, MGB's were all built in huge numbers and could all be considered classic and none of them were particularly good cars. Is it just because they're old or, as in the case of these cars, because they defined a particular mood or style of the time? Unfortunately it's one of those words that means something different to each person.

The 348 will be come a classic, but I don't think it will have any great status above other Ferraris.

14. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    No one ever thought the Challengers would be worth anything thirty years later, so many made it into the crusher. People realize the number of Ferraris built is comparatively small, so a used Ferrari is never thought of as iron ore scrap regardless of model or condition.

Do you define "classic" as appreciating in value? I am not sure when that will occur. Presented with the choice of buying a new Corvette for $55,000 or a used 348 I think we can all agree the Vette will be worth less in ten years time and the Ferrari should remain stable.

The biggest issue holding back appreciation is the lack of use these vehicle see. Finding a used Ferrari that is 12 years old with under 15,000 miles is not uncommon. The supply side of the appreciation evaluation is glutted with low mileage Ferraris. The more use a car sees the better the odds it gets wrecked and thus reduces the amount of Ferraris available.

It is very rare to see a Ferrari advertised with 70,000 miles. It seems like 99% of Ferraris sold are babied from day one and they just don't wear out sitting in your garage.

Ultimately the one thing any Ferrari owner has on their side as far as appreciation is concerned is the growing size of the human race and industrialization of many third world countries. As China and India become more wealthy, the demand side of the equation should increase the values of all Ferraris, even the dogs.

15. GERRA456gt

GERRA456gt Formula 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Australia, Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    i like the way you think;)

16. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    No way. The F355 killed that possibility!

17. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    A classic? In what sense? Will it increase in value? Perhaps, though I'd be loathe to label it an investement.

Personally, I LOVE the 348 Spider. I prefer it to a 355 or 360 spider. I think the Spider will be a "classic" someday, but not in the sense of the earlier cars.

My picks for future classics. 348 Spider, 512TR, 512 BBi.

18. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

19. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I think the F348 Spider has a pretty good shot at being a classic.

As a long term bet, I'd put money on it.

Low production numbers (67 RHD cars!), beautiful lines, iconic Ferrari side strakes & highly individualistic "cheese graters". Capped off by an amazing soundtrack when Tubi'd - second only to the F50.

20. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The special versions I believe will comand a both respect and a premium in the future. (or should I say speciale :))

21. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I think any car getting upwards of 30 years old in good shape with low miles can be called a "classic." Did the 348 make have the same effect for Ferrari as the 308 or the Daytona? I don't think so. Does it have the same historic significance as some 250 sports racers? No.

I do think some models in the production line may be worth more as they age. Particularly '93 Series Specials 100 made, and '94 factory Challenge 45 made. I think some of the converted Challenge race cars may also become classics. Maybe slightly biased.

I think also as the model ages it will be lumped with 355 like 308/328's are as they were very similar in design and looks.

22. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Elsewhere I have made a standing offer for all 348 taillamp setups replaced with those awful 355 panels...

It won't be an icon, Testarossa gets that on the cheezegrater front. But it will be a "classic" in the same way that all old sportscars are eventually. I do think that the electronics on the 348 and OBD 1 355's will make them a bit more desirable down the track than the more complicated cars that followed. And they didn't make many spiders...

Cheers
    Kevin

23. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    CONSIDER: ALL THE EXPERTS...and I mean ALL the Ferrari experts said the Dino246 would not be worth a damn, ever at all....here is the rationale....not a Ferrari, built by fiat, 6 cyl, not a 12...very high volume production, POS (not point of sale), lots of build quality problems, underpowered, low price, no real impt. racing pedigree or success. I could go on...as to what the "experts" knew and could advise us buyers or investors on what f car to get...bottom line, buy what YOU like.

24. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

In that case, the 348 will become a Classic. Just give it some more time. :)

25. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    the 355 will be imo...