My 77 308 may be totalled..Houston repair facilities? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 77 308 may be totalled..Houston repair facilities?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by greg328, Jan 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Just wanted to report back:

Steve Egyed at FoH was very generous today w/ his time. We spent an hour-plus discussing the in-outs of my situation. He's obviously passionate about Ferrari, just as we are!

The shop over there is immaculate. You could eat breakfast off the floor!

Well, anyway, I hope we can find a way to get it done there--I'm convinced it's the best facility in the area.

The damage is repairable, the question is: is it financially feasible to do so?

I'll post updates..

Greg

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I knew they'd provide you with encouragement, Steve is a great guy. YES - their shop is immaculate and yes we've eaten breakfast in the shop but not off the floor!!

Carol

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I found a donor 308.

Hope this will improve the odds of my cars' survival...

Greg

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Steve is indeed a good guy.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Parts is parts...

It's hard to imagine you need more than the car is worth, from your description.

Good luck!

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg

Thanks BT..

Ray of hope on the horizon--I found a donor 308 (engine fire--front end is fine)
    --should part out at a reasonable cost.

Looks like she'll need the front box-section frame, radiator, lower left a-arm, suspension mount fork, possibly A/C condensor..
    Front clip and bonnet are a little creased but should be re-usable. Bumper looks fine.. Suspension and steering looks OK--but steering wheel is off, so I don't know.....
    The impact left a little crease on the driver's side a-pillar sheet metal up high. (Yes, that far back--windshield is fine, though..)
    Wonder how they'll straighten that and the front clip out, without cutting it off the car.....

Greg

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The thing to remember is not all parts may fit correctly with a hand made car, I've seen this first hand all to many times. Even though using donor parts or not, it maybe quite a task if not a problem in order to get the panels to fit correctlly.

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks, William..

Yep, I'm well aware of the difficulty these handmade cars present.

My car is in very capable hands--so I'm not worried....:)

Greg

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

wrong and wrong . i bought a 78 308 gts with documented frame damage from another member of this site and repaired the car in my spare time. State Farm settled for "total loss" and allowed the owner to keep the car to do with as he wished. true, Greg may not get 100% of the $28k (?) agreed value, but the car is worth fixing from the description. i need another car like i need the flu, but i wiill buy the car right now, cash if the price is right. i would like to see pics of course and see how bad the frame damage truely is. these cars are tube frame and easy to cut and weld. you should see how much of a pain a pressurized aircraft is to repair with all the temperature extremes they go through.

usually they will settle for "$x" and allow you to keep the car. as a salvage car its worth less than $10k after the insurance settlement, but would leave Greg with pleanty of cash to buy another car and not deal with the hours of phone calls and towing hassle to have her fixed. i paid around $9000 for the Marrone 78 308gts and it took me about 4 or 5 months to fix it for fun.

Greg, let me know if i may be of any help, whichever way you choose to go.

Michael .

10. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    No, there's usually either a contractual or statutory right for the car's owner to buy the salvage at a certain % of value - I think like 20% is normal. This prevents insurance company abuse. Imagine if he'd somehow had the car insured for $10k and the insurance co. could sell a minor "wreck" for $20k at auction. You think they'd wait 2 seconds before totalling it and paying the insured the $10k and making money on the deal?

11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Michael,
    Thanks for the info..

I hope to repair and keep her. I never planned to sell this car, so resale value is no big deal to me.
    Allstate has yet to be out to see the car. They'll be out next week. I hope we can get the body shop and the insurance co. to agree. I'd rather not end up with a salvage title car...

We found a donor 308, with reasonably-priced parts. Hopefully this will bring the estimate in under the "total" threshold. Don't know where Allstate will draw the line--I hope it's 75% or greater of value...

Greg

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i hope it works out for you, and glad you were not hurt. if you dont intend to sell the car, i would let them total it, use the cash to fix her, and invest any that is left. the salvage title is no big deal if you intend to keep the car forever anyway. also you can wait a few years and have the state inspect the car and give it a clean title. its legal and done all the time on regular cars here in georgia. i know an inspector . :)

13. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Take a number. I already asked. ;)

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The only frame damage is the front 2 feet--the box section. From the radiator back, the frame is straight.

The rest of the car is fine..

Front clip and bonnet will be re-used--new valance will be needed..

Greg

15. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #40 greg328, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #42 PeterS, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  18. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Peter,
    Your car looks great! What's the mileage?

Euro 77 308, huh? Dry sump, no cats, right? Horsepower around 255?

I'll call you tomorrow if I find that I must total out my car.

Didn't know GTSs were built in 1977....

Thanks,
    Greg

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I believe this is a wet sump. VIN: 23003. 98Km

20. pbferrari

pbferrari Karting

Dec 22, 2005
    denton texas
    Full Name:
    drew
    thats a nice car i'd take it if i where you

21. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    It's a wet sump car Greg.

22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    OK, my car is at Prestige Collision, and their estimate was 50% of FoH.
    Hope the work isn't 50% as good....

Allstate was very cooperative, surprisingly!

Greg

23. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hope so too - FYI, FoH has a car bench frame machine - the only factory authorized machine for frame work on Ferraris; same paint booth like the factory uses and Steve has lots of years of experience doing body work. I know that if "Sophia" ever required body work, she'd go back home to FoH.

Good luck and hope she looks like new.

Carol

24. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Prestige always has exotics in the shop for repair. I've known about them for a while. They've repaired a heavily-damaged Gallardo to like-new.

My 308 should be simple. Only thing they're doing is welding in a little box section frame in front, and repairing the front clip/bonnet. The main frame is not bent--no need for major frame work...

I would have preferred to let FoH do it, but they would have put the estimate way past the total threshold, no doubt. I had no choice.

I've toured their facility, no question it's the best in the area...

I'll post pics of progress!

Greg