Ferrari 360 vs. Ford GT | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 vs. Ford GT

Discussion in '360/430' started by Cyclenirvana, Feb 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Ok. I currently own a 2005 C6 Corvette and have been thinking of upgrading it. I have test driven quite a few cars including 2005 Ford GT, 2004 Ferrari 360 Spider, and a 2005 Lamborghini Gallardo. I have now narrowed it down to the GT and the 360. I love both of these vehicles. The GT is faster, smoother, and retro cool...the 360 is more practical, sounds better, and is a convertible. The GT can be made into a convertible for a cool 38k (www.gtx1.com) but not sure I would want to do this. The stick shift in the GT is buttery smooth and the suspension dampens bumps unbelievably well. But the gated shifter in the 360 is so exact and precise, and how can anyone not like a Ferrari? The interiors are, in my opinion, very comparable but go in completely different directions. In some ways they are completely different cars. I know there is some bias here but would be interested in what any of you think? If I had the means (as Ferris Bueller says) I would have both...maybe one day but not now.
    Slightly confused but enjoying it.

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Tough call. The opinions you get will obviously be biased by personal preference, and since there is no rational reason to own either car, it's going to be hard to make any kind of objective judgment. For what it is worth, here are my observations:
    If you've never owned a Ferrari, chances are you should. If only to realize that it is still a car. The 360 looks great with the top down; top up, it leaves me cold- but so do most convertibles. I also like the gated shifter and missed it after owning a succession of Ferraris and changing to another type of sportscar (a Porsche GT2).
    I don't think the Ford GT is as appealing as a cut car, then again, I still think that the hardtop 360 is probably better looking than the spider.
    There are lots of other issues you could factor through, including depreciation (i think both will sink, but not to the point of worrying about it); reliability (probably call that one a draw, too) and service/parts availability (assume Ford would be cheaper and stand behind the car even after production is over, but don't know what Ford dealerships are really equipped to work on the car; Ferrari work is almost always expensive). In short, plus or minus, these factors shouldn't make much of a difference.
    I've already owned a bunch of Ferraris so having the Ford, for me, would be a kick. I like the looks of it better than the 360, it's a fast car (I was half-heartedly playing with one a couple of months ago when I was driving the 6.0 which is also not a slow car, and I was pretty impressed with the speed at which the Ford driver just moved on out, from about 65 mph to big digits in less time than it took to read this phrase).
    My bet is that, if you've never owned a Ferrari, the mystique is going to lure you, even if in many respects, the Ford may be the more interesting car.

3. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I don't know if you're registered over on CorvetteForum or not (I am), but what you're asking here reminds me of posts I read over there along the lines of, "What should I get -- a Corvette or a Mustang?" You *KNOW* what the responses are going to be!!!

That said, the GT is definitely a completely different animal in this comparison to the Ferrari than the Rustang would be to a Vette. First, consider price. They're comparable. Performance? It depends on what you like (torque vs. hi-revving sex on wheels), but comparable. Looks? Again - what are your tastes - Ferrari (and all that goes along with that name, good and bad), or Ford GT (ditto)?

In terms of an "investment" - if there is such a thing in the new and/or slightly-used automotive market - I would think the GT is the way to go. In "Wow" factor, it depends on where you live. I see Ferraris fairly regularly around here, yet I've only seen 1 GT on the road (and even that was part of a CF get together!).

Either way, IMO, you can't go wrong...they're both great in their own separate ways.

4. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    Go for the Ford GT.
    I think it won't depreciate as bad, since now they are ending the production.
    I'd love to have one.

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I really like the Ford GT and it looks wild as hell but I would rather buy a Ford GT40 from "Reproduction race cars"( don't remember the company name right, I have it in another computers bookmark) for a lot lot less than the new GT version and also buy a 360.

6. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    My decision would be to get the GT. It's a collector car right from the beginning. There will be a lot more 360's available next year and beyond. GT's are going to hard to find next year and beyond. Both cars are very enjoyable. Both cars have a great following. The Ford might be cheaper to maintain because of the dealer net work. There's a lot more Ford dealers than there are Ferrari Dealers. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Bob Wassam

7. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thats a really tough call,
    But for me I THINK I would get the Ferrari for its looks.
    But if money "investment" was the issue, I would get the Ford GT.

8. MrScarface

MrScarface Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 8, 2005
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I really do like the 360. But when comparing performance, price, maintanence costs and warranty to the 360, I'd take the Gallardo any day. I'm just not a fan of the GT. I'm sure it's a great car, it's not not for me.

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    IMO the GT is a no brainer. Newer, warranty, more unique by numbers, far better performance, and looks better. The 360 would bug me mostly bc the 430 is out and its not a new platform, its just better. I would either save for that or get the Ford. Recall that the 360 performance will be no better and possibly marginally worse than ur current car...

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    IMO the GT is a no brainer. Newer, warranty, more unique by numbers, far better performance, and looks better. The 360 would bug me mostly bc the 430 is out and its not a new platform, its just better. I would either save for that or get the Ford. Recall that the 360 performance will be no better and possibly marginally worse than ur current car...

11. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003

12. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    If you want a convertible, then it must be the 360.

Comparing performance isn't worth the effort. They are both close in performance.

I think you can ask a 80 year grandmother or a 7 year old kid this question and you will get the same answer. "would you rather have a Ford or a Ferrari?" hmm.. i wonder what they will say

13. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

The cost of replacement for a clutch in the Gallardo costs more than a major service in a 360.

14. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Thanks. There is a mystique to the Ferrari...no doubt about it. But I can't get the GT out of my head...hmm problem. Regardless, whether or now or later, I will own a Ferrari (God willing).

15. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Yes, I agree. The 430 is out of my price range, and I just don't want to pay over 200k for a sportscar. My C6 vette is a great car with fantastic low end torque...it has a heads up display, navigation system, XM radio (I am addicted), and a huge (for a sportscar) luggage compartment....I can fit either my road bike or my mountain bike in the back. It is a targa top convertible. Very practical and easy to get away for a weekend. I love my vette...biggest bang for the buck. But when I drive a GT or Ferrari, I realize why my vette is cheaper. It is just a different level. So, for me, numbers are important but the ride experience is more important.

16. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Thanks. They really are different animals. It is hard to know how the GT will fair longterm. Edmunds predicts an almost 50% depreciation over 5 years despite limited production for the GT. Another useful website is www.fordgtprices.com. Of course, ultimately, as F430 become more plentiful, the cost of the 2003-4 F360 will also likely drop. We'll see.

17. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    When buying a car, it always comes down to what you like or don't like. The Gallardo is a fantastic car..and the all wheel drive is a plus. But when I test drove one, it had the least "roadfeel" compared to the 360 or GT. Plus, I could not see at all out the back...putting the car in reverse required me to totally depend upon rearview mirrors. But it is a beautiful and exotic car. The interior is intelligently designed and thought out...like it's German owner, Audi. The engine sounds fantastic...but while driving something was missing. I cannot say with certainty what but I know it when I feel it. And I felt it in the GT and 360.

18. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree that you really can't compare a closed car to an open one. I don't think the Ford GTs will depreciate 50% in 5 years. The 360s are going down fairly quickly as the 430s become available. What I would do is buy the Ford GT, keep it for a while (at least a year), and if you don't like it, I think you could sell it and buy a 360 a year from now and actually make some money in relation to the prices at that time...

19. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #19 John B, Feb 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have liked the GT from day one. It looks awesome, and the performance speaks for itself. I had no interest when they were trading at $250+ but now that they are available at MSRP I snagged one. It should arrive here in a couple weeks, then I'll see how it really stacks up against my beloved 360 F1.
    In the spring we'll play a round of automotive "Survivor". Drive them both to a track day, run 'em hard all day & drive 'em back home. Then we'll convene the tribal council...

Here she is.
    http://www.carad.com/status/ShowroomViewVehicle.cfm?listing=8112344
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    What a beautiful car. I am considering either a blue with white stripes (like yours) or a solid black version. I am trying to find one without the upgraded McIntosh stereo, as this places a large subwoofer between the passenger and driver seats. Without this stereo, Ford places a very useful pocket which should fit a small attache case...plus you see that amazing supercharger more clearly. Unfortunately, for me, most Ford dealers have ordered their GTs completely optioned out.
    Let me know how you like it and how it compares to the 360 at the track!!!
    Congrats!!

21. Sportscarnut

Sportscarnut Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    I came down to a similar decision point myself, but I ended up choosing the 360 for my own personal reasons. Either car would be a great choice, so good luck with your decision.

What's really important is the fact that you choose the correct two finalists and dropped the Gallardo, it simply isn't in the same class as the GT and 360 :)

22. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Thanks. That is a good thought...I will definitely consider it. If I bought the 360 I would likely trade in the vette...but if I bought the GT, I would likely keep the vette (so I would maintain a convertible--ok, really a targa). Just thinking out loud. My wife has been out of the country and returnds Tuesday...she will have a big say in what we do.

23. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003

Dont forget that the ford can be made into a convertible later if u want...that package they are offering @ ford dealers surely is a retrofit and as such could be sent directly! (looks awesome 2!)

24. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Cyclenirvana - Yeah that Macintosh subwoofer or whaterer it is is kind of rediculous. The cars already A little on the heavy side, no need to be putting stuff like that in it. I love the blue w/ white stripes, it really speaks to me. I've seen a couple all blue (with no stripes) but not all black. That must look really mean!