Mondial 3.2 Cab or T Cab - which to buy | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Cab or T Cab - which to buy

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 4ARI, Feb 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    I am considering a Mondial namely a later model 3.2 cab or T cab.
    Can anyone share their experiences with either car and which are the best
    years to buy and which are the years to avoid.
    THanks for your help.
    Ron
    www.ronsusser.com

2. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

I have only owned the 3.2, and of course that is the least expensive to maintain, the 328 DNA is bulletproof, but on the other hand the T is a more powerful car, but the early ones are known to have issues that need to be updated. Either one has its advantages, and the prices are reflected on their differences. I know that if I wanted one with no headaches, I would look for another 3.2 and set performance aside.

Stephane
    Scaledetails

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The "T" version is reliable as a stone. However, I also agree that the 3.2 can be a low maintenance Ferrari.

Let me nip this in the bud from the start. The "early" T versions are not in need of any "updates," some owners have only been persuaded to do so.

The main difference between the early & late "T" engine controls (2.5 Motronic versions Vs 2.7 Motronic versions) are that the later versions have a different internal fault reading capability. This is not a necessary must do upgrade for a 2.5 car. Additionally, if the truth be known, the later 2.7 system is prone to show faults (slow down lights) much more so than the 2.5 because of the above "update". There have been some musings about early alternators as well, but basically unfounded.

The 2.5 Motronic is a good system with little if any flaw for its vintage. I searched for a 2.5 version just for that reason.

Both systems work well, neither system should be the basis for a final purchase choice. Just pick a good car with records & good maintenance.

4. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    Also trying to decide between a 3.2 or T cab for my first F Car.

Presuming both have been maintained as required I've heard two schools of thought - one being better to have a higher mileage car that has been driven and worked out, the other being to get a pristine low mileage car but realize there may be many parts that have deteriorated from time and need to be replaced.

5. BDP

BDP Rookie

Apr 8, 2005
    14K miles, red with tan interior. Up to date with maintainence. North burbs of Chicago.

The car is a pleasure. Top down, four seats, handles great, sweet sounds and lots of looks. I'm more handsome driving this car.

I'm going to follow a dream from childhood and build a car. Likely a Factory Five Daytona Coupe.

Brian

6. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    Brian,
    Excellent and local.
    send me a note at [email protected]
    with your contact information and I'd love to come
    and see the car.
    Thanks,
    Ron

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    3.2 is cheaper to buy and maintain. T is faster and more refined. Both are great. Enjoy.

8. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    '88 3.2 cab here - haven't had a T before so don't have any hands on experience with the T. The 3.2 performance can be perked up with a nice exhaust system. Translation: no cat and a nice stainless performance exhaust will add between 12 and perhaps 18hp - it's certainly noticeable. It's also nice that all the 328 stuff fits the engine and there's a lot more 328 engine bits out there than 348 IMHO. One downside to the 3.2 cab is that the forward cam cover won't come off with the engine in the car - can be a problem if you have a leaky cam seal or need the valves adjusted.

Overall, the 3.2 is a delightful car - well balanced, reasonably quick, great straighline speed and stability. The '88 has ABS if that's important to you. I'd go for the 3.2 and save a little money to spend later on any necessary maint or upgrades. I'm sure you'll love either T or 3.2 - no better way to drive around town with the wife and kids.

9. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

I agree. FWIW I spoke with an ex Motronic factory engineer (working on my Merc) who said they only stepped to the 2.7 to meet new emission regulations. The result was he believed the 2.7 may be lacking slightly in "pep" as a result, and the engineers were most proud of the 2.5 unit.

10. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

If you're cruising with occassional blasting, you may as well go for the 3.2. for cheaper servicing. Enjoy.

11. SFerrari

SFerrari Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    MG
    I own the "T" but in coupe, very happy with it. Not a real sport car, but souding and performing quite good enough for my use, and can carry 4 people (adults !).That said, I definitly had an issue with the alternator, known problem, which I had to be replaced to allow a normal battery charge...

12. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Your quite right, it's not a sports car but a great Grand Tourer (often tour to Cannes and back, no problems) and is quite happy on circuits too.
    Not sure what else I need out of an Fcar.

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    both great cars, will not go wrong either way.

14. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Don't tell the Ferrari shop that just performed a complete valve adjustment -with the engine in the car - on my '87 3.2 cab

15. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff

Ha! Very nice. They must have Houdini working for them..... Great to hear it's possible to do despite what I've heard to the contrary.

16. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've owned both a 3.2 and a T, and find they're both great cars. However, from my experience, I don't find the 3.2 any cheaper to maintain than the T.

17. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    I went through this same excersize starting about a year ago and decided on the Mondial T Cab over the 3.2 cab. I have owned an 83 308 QV and a 92 348 ts in the past so I was familiar with the mechinicals of both cars. This car was (is) my wifes car and she loves it!! The car is much faster than the 3.2 but it is a little more fragile with respect to reliability. We bought a 1989 as opposed to a 90 to 92 for one reason. SEATBELTS!! The electro-mechinical seatbelts on all of those cars are difficult to repair and nearly all of them that we looked at had some issue. The 89 model is the only year that had the conventional seatbelts like the 3.2 Mondials. We found a very clean car with only 20K since new and she has driven the car about 1,200 miles in 3 months. My opinion is go with the Mondial T. It is a great buy for the money.

18. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    Great comments so far - Thanks very much
    and keep em coming.
    Ron

19. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    I have two candidates in mind:
    1989 Mondial T - at Steve Miller Motors - 60,500 miles belts changes 3 times in it life, the last 12,000 miles ago. Looks pretty, and has been driven regularly - was listed for $37,900 on EBAY BIN

1986 Mondial 3.2 - at Forzamotorsorts - 39,000 miles, full and complete major service done to the car in November of 2004.Top very recently replaced and in excellent condition - $33,000.

In listing the 1986 - Forzamotorsports (who seems to have a good reputation on here) does say "These cars are the final evolution of the Ferrari V-8 before they switched to the problematic 3.4 series cars"

Also any thoughts on PPI for each location - Salt Lake City and NW Connecticut?

Thanks!

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    LOL! My 1988 3.2 had just as many problems as my '92 T. Depends on what they define as 'problematic'.

Every mechanic I know says stear clear of '89 348/Mondial because of Motronic 2.5, but you'll find plenty of people here that say otherwise. It's all relative I guess..

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Neither of them are "new" and all will start needing more than just the regular service.

Drive both and get the best one you can find (and afford).