Pine Wood Derby "Ferrari" - Lets see them! | FerrariChat

Pine Wood Derby "Ferrari" - Lets see them!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BLACK HORSE, Jan 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hey everyone,

I would like to know how many of you proud Dad’s ever built a Pine Wood Derby car your kid(s) and of course did you build your favorite Ferrari version? Did it ever come out like you thought it would? Well guys… here is your chance to post some of your handy work, so lets see them! After this weekend race, I’ll post my son’s derby car for you all to see. After all... "it only took $75 and 2-1/2 weeks to build". It’s awesome!

Rob

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #2 WJHMH, Jan 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    :rolleyes:

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I 'had' two of these - one built by me, the other built by my father. The spirit of the competition is for the cub/boy scout to build the car himself, and race it against his fellow scouts. It has degenerated into who's father has the better woodshop. The car I build myself basically sucked - but it looked like something I built myself and there was a certain pride to that. The other car was OBVIOUSLY built by someone who knows a thing or two about metal/woodworking - the car had a fancy paint job, a sheetmetal rear wing, and a F1-style cockpit windscreen fashioned from sheetmetal. My father built/painted everything, and I pretty much did nothing but watch him. Neither car won anything.

BTW, the key to building a winning car in that day was to hollow out the front completely, and fill it with as many BBs/Lead shot that the car would legally hold (I believe there is a max weight to the car). All that weight in the front of the car without making it too unbalanced with the rear of the car (and liberal amounts of powdered graphite on the wheels/axles) would make the thing sail down the track. The more aerodynamic/front-heavy the car, the more it won. My cars had weight in the middle/rear, and I didn't have any powdered graphite.

Another failure of my youth....

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 Michael B, Jan 31, 2006
  6. ethirtysex

ethirtysex Karting

Mar 14, 2005
    West Linn, OR.
    Full Name:
    Kevin J. Bonnington
    First time this picture has ever been useful in the history of the wooden F50.

I took 2nd place with my car, and I was so mad that I lit it on fire when I got home. Call me a sore loser, but I was really upset.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    For some strange reason, Lil' Bull didn't do a Ferrari.......in racing order we had:

1) A Curtis Indy Car, the yellow one, recently restored in real life
    2) A White Countach
    3) A blue Bugatti EB110, Elf sponsor decals

4) And then the last year, he put two Pokemon figurines on top of a yellow car that was just "futuristic' in design. They kind of messed up the drag CD numbers, but I'll admit them and the lightning bolt tail fin were kind of cute!

We had a huge Pack, so none made it into the Final Standings, but we had a great time! I wore the Ferrari MOMO jacket, and a Phil Hill T shirt, for good luck!

Well done, Scott! I am proud of him!

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    So much for the mondial not being considered a top performing Ferrari! Cool.
    BT

9. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    When I made my derby car I wasnt interested in cars so I didnt model mine after anything. Probably explains why it looked like a red blob. It still won though. I won everything except for two races or something like that. I dont really remember.

10. Tahoe Guy

Tahoe Guy Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Those are very cool Michael. As I don't have a son yet, and hopefully will in the next two years, I am definately looking forward to doing projects like those with my son.

Nothing like father and son working on a Ferrari project together :)

Alexander

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you.

Children are very rewarding. Do look forward to it, as it is special.

12. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    #12 dogue, Jan 31, 2006
    My girls are both in Awana at our church. Paige has done 3 cars and Alissa has done 2. They are quite young so I do build the car for them, but they choose how it will look and get heavily involved in painting and sanding, just have to keep them away from power tools. This is not as competitive as Boy scouts, and considering the age the parents in most cases are the actual builders, but the girls really enjoy the event and helping all they can. They are usually competing against boys and girls and the group is about 60 cars deep. The first year Paige came in 2nd with a 375F1, and the second year she finished 3rd, Alissa has never placed and last year Paige didn't either, but we have big plans this year.

1st year Paige : 1951 375F1 - Pink and blue
    2nd year Paige: 1962 156F1 - Pink with glitter
    3rd Year Paige: 1982 512BB - Yellow with flamingo

1st year Alissa: 1962 156F1 - Orange with glitter
    2nd year Alissa: 1982 308 GTSi - Daddy's car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    #13 doug328, Feb 1, 2006
    Here is my son's effort (with some help from me) a few years back. it's modeled after a 312P. We didn't have any Ferrari stickers for it, so found a yellow shield that we put on the front. Not exact but close enough. This was our 4th and final year with the pine wood derby, and as such this car has a lot of work that was gained over the previous years. Flattend sides of the axle nail heads, very slight camber to the wheels (as evident by the thin wear mark on the treads. one of the front axles was bent a little to use as a steering wheel so the car would track straight for at least the first 10 feet without hitting the guide strip, ect. Results of 4 years are: 6 1ST, 3 2ND.
    Trophies in picture are: 1ST place his den, 1ST place over all, 2ND place best of show.

14. glpellegrino

glpellegrino Karting

Oct 21, 2005
    Eastern Mass
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #14 glpellegrino, Feb 4, 2006
  15. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #15 BLACK HORSE, Feb 5, 2006
    Hey Everyone,

Well... we scored big-time this weekend on the Awana's pinewood derby Grand Prix race at our church. We took first place with the best "Design" and "Second place" in the race, which our Ferrari car timed in at 2.95 seconds at the finish line. The track holds four cars at one time and the fasts car, which was measured by an electronic sensor at the finish line, won that “round”. We're the only ones who walked away with two trophies among about 70 cars/kids... Everyone was in shock and got everyone’s attention when we introduce our car, which you can see in the pictures. We can't wait until next year, which of course will introduce a new Ferrari, design which we're already working on now. It was a great race!

Rob

16. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    WOW!

I am impressed sir! Give your Son an "Atta boy" for me.

17. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    so are those holes drilled all the way through the body to make for better air flow?

18. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes... There is a 1" slanted hole that goes from the bottom of the car to the end between the taillights. The car had more holes in it than Swiss cheese!

Rob

19. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Great looking car, Congrats