Goo removal | FerrariChat

Goo removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by plugzit, Feb 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    What's the best stuff to remove undercoating? What about all the foam and glue junk from the leather upholstery in the interior?

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Goof off is an excellent product for removing all sticky residues. Sometimes you need to soak the surface, but it has worked for many applications for me. You might want to test it out on a small area first to see if it has any ill effects (discoloration etc...)
    BT

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Why do you want to remove the under coating Bruce?

4. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #4 sparky p-51, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here ya go Bruce. Simple green is what I used. Spray it on and let it set. Spray it on lots more. When gunk starts to loosen, spray it more and use a stiff brush. Repeat process until clean. Wipe whats left off with paper towels then rince with H2O and wipe again. Sure dont need that brown goo on suspention parts. No snow in So Cal and they dont salt the roads. Cleaned up underside of engine also. Makes it look much better. Dont know about interior glue. Have fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Lookin good! Thanks for the advice and the pics. I can only hope mine looks that good when I'm done. Don't understand why a car originally sold in CA would have that gunk sprayed on it-probably some evil dealer employee.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

They were ALL sprayed in Maranello. Product called "Dinol". 2 part process. Not an option.

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yep, "Tuff Kote Dinol" and in the warranty and service booklet, you had to have it checked at the dealer annually or semi-annually.

For serious undercoating, dry ice and whack it!

Wow, takes me back.

-Peter

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I went to Dinol school. My only question was How do we get this crap off?

9. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Actually, solvent or gas is supposed to work the best, but sure didnt want the place to go BOOM. I did use solvent on the front suspention and it didnt seem to work any better than simple green. Green does not go BOOM. No brainer. One of the Northwest F chat guys lets the simple green soak on the area to be cleaned overnight and washes it down the next day with high pressure H2O. Gets rid of a lot of the hand towel work. Bet hot H2O would really do the job.