Anyone have any updates on the Sept 1 ban on the F430's? | FerrariChat

Anyone have any updates on the Sept 1 ban on the F430's?

Discussion in '360/430' started by abster, Feb 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    I haven't seen anything conclusive one way or other!

Local dealer claims its been taken care off . . .

Thanks in advance!

2. jasonA

jasonA Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    Ferrari had to re-file the petition for exemption on January 12 (receipt of the original filing date was on the 28th of November) and there is a 30 day public commenting period so chances are your dealer is talking out of his @ss. I wouldn't expect any new information until the end of the month at the earliest.

3. ARED4RE

ARED4RE Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Is there any way to get a copy of the filing from an online source?

4. Fly'n DutchMan

Fly'n DutchMan Karting

Oct 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills CA
    Full Name:
    Sander Brouwers
    Also keep in mind that Ferrari may be eligible to file for a permanent exemption on the basis that it is a hardship on the company to have to comply with this regulation. The cost of complying, incuding any crash testing and paperwork may be prohibitive given the numbers of F430's Ferrari plans on selling in the US. Apparently this is how smaller companies have to get around these kinds of issues. So there are several alternatives to resolving the issue from what I understand, it's not black or white.

Ferrari NA is telling it's dealers is that they'll be able to comply in time and there will not be any disruption of the importation of F430's to the US.

5. jasonA

jasonA Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    In the petition for exemption Ferrari are pleading hardship based on the potential lost net profit ($55 million) from not selling the 430 but not for the actual cost of compliance (i.e. the Lotus headlight). The problem is they can't find a supplier, cost is not an issue. PAG was dealing with similar problems (no supplier, it takes 18 months to reengineer everything involving the airbags, etc.) and lost their exemption request for the CarreraGT but still "won" in the end. The NHTSA denied the request but then changed the law for everyone. As a plus for Ferrari one of the reasons given (for the rule change) was the lack of small passengers in a CGT. Not so good for Ferrari was that Porsche's decision to import only 100 and not 500 CGTs during the 09/05 - 09/06 period was a major factor . Based on all the other filings I've read I can't see the NHTSA just ignoring the HUGE loss to Ferrari but I also can't see them going along with Ferrari's request 100%. The auto manufacturers have all known about the regulations since ~1998 but according to Ferrari the 430 is basically an unchanged 360 from the early nineties. I was under the impression that ALCOA made a lot of changes to the design of the 360 to come up with the 430 but now Ferrari is saying otherwise.

6. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004

If I were the judge I'd ask for a free 430 =)

7. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    To all those doubting a "Shortened" 430 production run read that petition and weep. AUGUST 31st 2008 and the 430 is over with. Thats 2 more years end of story.

8. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Sounds good to me -- next new, entry level Ferrari will be a MY 2009 model.

No 430's after 9/06 wouldn't be a bad thing either. :)

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think design work for the 360 probably began in 1992 or 1993. The 430 chassis and construction is basically the same except for being beefed up quite a bit in places much of which had to do with crash worthiness.

Dave

10. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I bet you never expected to resell your 430 for twice what you payed for it!!! :)