The Enzo reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Enzo reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by MarkPDX, Feb 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. salegosse

salegosse Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    French Riviera
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Sounds like a crazy project !
    Back to the past when Sultan of Brunei ordered special F-cars...

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Any chance they will fit on Carbon's Nissan? :D Seriously though... would you like me to split this discussion of your car into a new thread?

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Could do. I'm not sure where to put it. This is what's become public so far so before it showed up I posted. More information will come with time. The VIN # will be on the DMV sticker on the windshield when the car's unveiled. As it is with all of my cars. :)

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    So how much time has passed between your initial contact with Pininfarina and now? I am curious as to what the process is like and how one goes about such a project. Sounds like a fun ride if you ask me :D

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Years ago this was common place, having someone like Pininfarina rebody a car. Even in America, Duesies were rebodied. Sadly, this practice has been lost, and we have cookie cutter cars with bling wheels and tack on spoilers. I would love to have Pininfarina reproduce a P5 for me, I would love to rebody an Enzo as you are doing.

I applaud you.

P.S. What do you know about Tom Meade's newest/possibly final creation?

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We first met in March of 05. We signed a contract in June. We locked exterior styling in December. Over the fall we did wind tunnel testing of my Enzo and then a full scale body attached to my Enzo of the evolving design.
    We learned a lot in the wind tunnel and evolved the design further. I don't think the average person realizes just how much engineering goes into a fully functioning car. Jesse and I were scanned into a super computer so the designers could place us inside to see if we'd be comfortable and could reach the controls and see out. We're doing everything to all applicable motor vehicle regulations including outward vision, roll over, and crash testing. (By super computer) This will be a fully engineered car. Our concept for the passenger is 60ies rally nav/timing station. A tablet PC will have world wide GPS/timing/etc. We'll be using a worldwide cell phone system and mp3 player. Jesse has been involved in all of that. Veronica has give me the courage to be more modern in the overall design and is working on fabrics for the seats. They've come up with something I think is really special

7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Sounds like quite the adventure! Now, when you say they did the wind tunnel testing with the new body on the Enzo, is that to say that many of the normal Enzo panels were removed and new ones attatched or are you saying that the rebody will have larger dimensions than a normal Enzo and they were simply placed on top of the existing skin?

I also take it this will be road legal in the U.S.?

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    In August? in Paris?
    I'm in Paris in August for a few days before going South....

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ron

This is exactly what I'm doing, going back to the days of coach built cars. Pininfarina have not only helped me realize my dream they've made me dare to look forward and have come up with something that works on it's own.

Wayne has been in touch with Tom Meade and may have more info. about him I haven't spoken to him for a while.

John

They took my Enzo down to a rolling chassis and then some and mounted a entire new body on the rolling chassis for the wind tunnel tests. The new body that was tested in the wind tunnel was an interim design that evolved into the final design which we locked in December. Massive computer modeling was used to refine the design.

Yes fully Road legal world wide.

10. sketchsk85

sketchsk85 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    ferrari suv?
    please dont shoot me.

-Thomas

11. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Awesome... now I can finally get some sleep! ;) :D

12. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I sent Jim a PM guessing, but I failed...

13. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #88 CMY, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What is there to guess?

Jim has previously stated that he doesn't like the looks of the Enzo. He bought one and has Pininfarina working up a new body with some other necessary tweaks. Considering the gorgeous ladies already in his garage, I don't think he'll be turning the Enzo chassis into a Unimog replica for the Paris-Dakar. :)

I don't mean to overly simplify the process.. but I think you guys would be better off sketching than using words.

As for me, I'd hope it has some of this recent concept in it's DNA:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    That was my guess CMY...and it is NOT correct. Plus, I guessed before he stated that he designed something.

15. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    aahhhahahaha!

I can't wait to see this beauty.

16. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    btw, is this going to be upgraded in performance as well, say to compete with...the FXX, or even the Veyron?

17. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Sounds like a great project, exactly what I would do if I had the funds and an Enzo is change the looks of the car. I hope Pininfarina is not using the same Japanese designer from the original Enzo design.

Maybe Ferrari Spa will take notice of this car as well.

18. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Will it be along the lines of a P3/4 but 2006 Style?! :)

Please tell me you have this all on camera. It would be great to see that Enzo go under the knife.

This is exciting.

Cheers,

Vasco

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I've been wondering about what the next super model might be like and this peaked my interest.

Napolis, this project wouldn't use photo-voltaic glass would it?

-F

20. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I HAVE A WOODY !!!

21. Trevor L

Trevor L Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2004
    OKC, USA
    ^ Me too

Jim, Have you shaved any weight? The Enzo is kinda fat.

Will you own the design or will PF retain the rights?

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #97 Napolis, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi and Thanks for responses.

To answer a few questions. This is a total team effort by Pininfarina and everyone at the company is very enthusiastic. The main designer is Jason who designed the Birdcage but there's been a lot of input from everyone including Andrea Pininfarina. I am truly amazed by the attention to detail.
    The Person who designed the PF wind tunnel came down from the University and stood in the high speed flow with a pole tipped with a string of yarn and evaluated our design while his daughter and other engineers crunched mountains of data and modelers gently filled and sculpted changes and we tried again. Andrea stood at the nose and conferred with his team as Sal spoke with the engineers at the tail. Jesse and I read the print out and slowly we realized that we had a shape that had less drag, more down force and was more balanced than my Enzo and what a shape it was. The idea that an areo efficient design has to look a certain way or can't be beautiful is simply not true.

Sal is spending a lot of time with the engineers re ordering the Enzo's plumbing/wiring/etc. to make it simpler/easier to service/neater/ and lighter.
    We'll take a lot of weight off. The wheels are a unique design and we'll be running different tires (Ultra High Speed Run Flat). The engine cooling and breathing are being studied and I happy with the solutions. The front radiator
    will be horizontal as in the 333 which allows a very beautiful nose and better cooling.

Every detail is being designed. The doors seals will have double the seals as the Enzo for example.

There will be a lot of glass and it will be very special. Not yet sure about photo-voltave.

I own the design rights.

As some have guessed she does evoke the wonder and beauty of Ferrari's great sports racing cars but she's modern and timeless as well. This is a WOW car. Direct quotes upon first view have literally been:

Oh MY God

Enormously talented people are working from the heart on this one and some how we all got lucky. This one works. It can stand next to a P4/512S/312PB/333SP and it can stand next to P5, and Dino Competizone as well.
    It can stand next to a 250 LM and a series one 250 GTO. It will bring a tear to your eye and while it will remind you of all of the above it somehow will reach forward to something that's so obviously what a Ferrari should be that it will need no badges to tell you what it is.

The erie thing is when the covers came off everyone got very quiet. The:
    "Oh My God."'s were whispered.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    haha , thats a great teasing pic :)

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Mine eyes have seen the glory...

25. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    jim - i remember last years strictly confidential talk in sicilia with you and marcel about the project. now it´s not a secret anymore !
    anyway - can´t wait to see the results of a crazy but very interesting project.
    i think it will be the most exciting car 2006 !