Cool Cell phone | FerrariChat

Cool Cell phone

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TigerAce, Feb 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I want to change my cell phone now. After using about 15 months of Moto Razor, I want something different. I can only think of Moto Pebble or Nokia 7280 (? not sure of numbers, but this one doesn't look like cell phone at all)

Is there any site that I can review what're coming soon or out on the market already? If you have recommendation, pls let me know.

2. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    howardchui.com phonescoop.com

howardforums.com may have some post about new things coming out

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yoshi - get a BLACK razr... :)

4. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    hahaha get a BLACK Samsung A900 !! Like a razr... just MUCH better

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Funny you should say that - I just got one on Friday...!!! :)

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Yoshi, you can't go wrong with the RAZR if you just want the phone to function as a phone. I've had a few of them and loved them. I got tired of the flip-phone style so I recently got the Motorola SLVR. It's black, and is a candy-bar style RAZR. I got one of the first batchs of them many months ago but Cingular just started carying them. Personally I prefer my phones unbranded, but to each their own. I've been thrilled with the phone. Performs exactly as the RAZR and I don't have to hassle with the flip. I love mine.

You can see the SLVR at: http://www.cingularsleek.com/

Another Motorola to consider is the V3X. I have one coming in a few weeks. I'm interested to see how it compares to the SLVR.

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    How/where did you get it?

8. brainz

brainz Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Andy
    www.cnet.com has video reviews, which makes it nice for people like me who don't like reading about phones. It's nice seeing someone show you the features of a phone.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, that's what the people at the cell phone stores are supposed to do...

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
  11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  12. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

I have the SLVR L7. The differences are in the bands. The L7 is a quad-band phone(world phone). Makes international travel easier as you just pop in a pre-paid sim card and go.

13. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I see.

Did you have a RAZR before it? If so can you compare how fast the processor is on the L7 to the RAZR? My biggest issue with the RAZR was its slow processing speed.

14. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Yes, I had a couple of RAZRS prior to the L7. Many reviews claim the speed with which you can navigate to be dramatically improved. I haven't experienced this. I find it to be SLIGHTLY faster than the RAZR. If I used my phone for anything more than just a phone, I wouldn't buy a Motorola period. As you're obviously aware Motorola's software is incredibly slow. BUT, I do just use my phone for a phone, so it doesn't bother me too much. Bottom line, if the RAZR was too slow for you, I'd say it's a safe bet that you'll find the GUI in the SLVR to be too slow as well.

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I love my RAZR so the speed was just a nuisance really. I am probably going to switch to a V3i in the summer when prices come down a bit.

I love the L6 and the cost is right ( http://www.myworldphone.com/motl6.html ) , but am worried the triband will not be picked up by Cingular Wireless (my carrier).

16. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    ahhh just looked at the slvr today...Everyone it seems is carrying a razor nowadays. Its not like i need to change phones every week but where i am its like the "thing" now to get razor, and its like " OH you have a razor too." was thinking about actually switching over to perhaps something more than a phone in the 700w Treo

17. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    SLVR (sliver) is a nice sleek candy bar phone if you don't like the flip/clamshell phones.

18. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Razr's are so awesome. Two of my friends have them, they are really cool phones.

19. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
  20. brainz

brainz Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Andy
    HA! It's sad how little the people selling these phones know about their products. I've been searching for a new phone with Verizon, I know i'm getting Verizon because they have the best reception in my area. But everytime I go to talk to one of these sales guys about phones, and their features, they always change the subject to what phone plan I want to sign up for.

"Hey does this phone have a external memory?"
    "Uhh.. I think so... did you have a number you wanted to transfer over?"
    "Yeah i'm going to port a couple of numbers over... does this phone play mp3's??"
    "I'm pretty sure, did you want to go with a family plan?"

Haha anyways i'm rambling... back on topic...

I think they LG VX9800 is a pretty neat phone if you text a lot. It's one of the bigger phones, but I might get it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/LG_VX9800/4505-6454_7-31518211.html?tag=pop

21. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thanks all for all suggestions. I really appreciate them.

Alex & Tyler, I didn't know about SLVR or A900, so I'll look at them at stores.

Carbon, I intend to get black one for my next phone anyway.

Ike, Tyler, Andy, & ItaliaChallengeF1, thanks for posting related URL. I checked them all, and enjoyed surfing these sites.

I was bit surprised nobody commented on Nokia phones. 7280 does look different. Tyler, do you know anything about this phone?

22. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Yoshi, I haven't researched it much. I was initially turned off by the "navispinner" control(spinning jog wheel) and the very high gloss finish. I can see myself breaking that spinning wheel in no time and with a high gloss finish I'd have to start wearing microfiber pants just to keep the fingerprints off it.

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Good points! I didn't think of the fingerprints mess at all. Thanks for the tip. I'll surely put this in consideration. Navispinner is not a bad idea & I have experience w/ this as old Sony phones. I just don't know how sensitive nor its durability though.

24. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel

Yo, man I got a couple of Cellphone stores and can pretty much get any phone for you.......I had a V3x in last week and sold it.......it is a nice razr with the 2.0 mp camera, memory card, BT, and mp3 player........another one to consider is the D600 samsung with the same specs....nice slider.....got one of those....the nokia 7280 is a nice looking phone but annoying to use since it has no Dial pad, just a rotating wheel to dial numbers (imagine dialing 911 on that)

but me favorite and one I swear by is the sony ericsson K750i...2.0mp, memery stick slot (up to 2gb), radio, mp3, video, awesome operating system.........

check out www.gsmarena.com for phones

25. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Mahool, thanks for the offer & advise, but I didn't see it till now!

I picked up the new phone already at the store in the neighborhood, Motorola Black Pebble was the finalist as I got fairly satisfactory deal for it. (we got 5 phones from them in the past 3 years)

After comparing w/ SLVR (little too long for a side pocket of my pants as I usually keep it in there), Samsung D800 - A900 wasn't available - (too pricey at $375 for an older model & also I may scratch the screen), SE 750 & 600 (too bulky after all compared w/ Razr, but X800 was another runnner up), Panasonic G70 & X800 (the first time I saw G70 but the shape was all it had for cons, & X800 was another runner up), & Nokia 8800 (too pricey and like Taylor pointed out in the previous post, it'll leave fingerprints mess) I checked Nokia fashion phones, but you guys were right. It is not a phone, but just gimmick! NaviSpinner wasn't nothing like JogDial by old Sony's.

Thank you very much for all your advise & help!
    Now watch me get another phone w/in a year (although I will try to resist that) as Pebble may not work out!