Speedometer US vs. Canadian cars | FerrariChat

Speedometer US vs. Canadian cars

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by KurtK328, Feb 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    I am looking for a speedo to use in a US 328, but since I am in Europe, I need it to be calibrated in km/h. I have the understanding, that Canada uses the metric system, i.e. km/hr. Any body know if Canadian cars are similar to US cars concerning gear and diff. ratios (US engines)?
    The Ferrari UK catalog shows a number of different speedo part numbers (seven, in fact), but only 2 is marked MPH - where do the others fit in?
    Thanks

2. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    errr, am I missing something here. Dont you just need a km/h face for your speedometer to replace the MPH one (ie different scale on dial)?

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You can get it re-silkscreened and calibrated at www.paspeedo.com for a couple hundred bucks.. There should be a similar company somewhere in europe as well?

4. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Thanks, guys,
    yes, I could get a new instrument face, but the odometer would still show miles.
    And yes, I did had it recalibrated, but the indication is not "linear", if you will. It has always been like that - showing correct at some speeds and not at others. The recalibration didn't fix that. I think new components are needed and at least the IC controlling things is not available any more.
    So, back to my two questions:
    Are the drop gear and final ratios on the Canadian cars the same as US cars and are people driving km/h in Canada?
    Thanks

5. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Since October 1977 all new Canadian cars have had kph. speedometers.

In practical terms 100 Kph = 60 mph, so mentally converting while driving is quite easy, but then I’m sure you know that.

Didn’t Ferrari sell a ton of cars in Europe, particularly Germany? If you have to swop out units that might be the way to go. You are already there!

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    PM or send eMAIL to Malcolm West of ferrari.uk
    (accessable via https://www.owners.ferrari.com/ )

He'll be able to help you.

Regarding your non-linear problem, I'd suspect the sending unit, they can cause some wierd symptoms.

7. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Thanks again
    Kram, the ratios are different on US and Euro cars, so fitting a Euro km/h speedo will give me a km/h reading alright, but then I would have to correct that for the difference in gear ratios, not only the speed indication, but also the mileage counter (can you call it a "mileage counter", when it counts kilometers :))?
    Verell, I tried Malcolm a couple of years ago, but never got a definite answer.
    Maybe I should narrow my question to:
    Do US and Canadian 328's have the same gear ratios?

8. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Oh,by the way Verell, I have changed the sending unit twice due to the usual erratic behaviour - no luck with the indication linearity problem, unfortunately

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'm under the impression that FNA had common specs for US & Canadian 328s, other than country mandated things like instruments. I'd try contacting their tech support to see if they'll help you. Another resource is member TBAKOWSKY he's a ferrari tech in Vancouver,CA.

The Ferrari.uk web site has 1 328 varient unlike the 308s that have 2 or more country specific varients.

Just scanned the ferrari.uk 328 parts:

the 'gearbox transmission' page lists 2 varients for all 3 drop gears: 'DROP GEAR' & 'DROP GEAR VER/US/CH'.

the 'lay shaft gears' lists 3 varients for item # [1] crown wheel.

No Canada unique varients, so they're either US or Euro.

In any case, there s/b enough adjustability in the Euro speedometers to compensate for the gear ratio difference.

10. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    According to the WSM, the gearbox ratios for the all version 328's are the same.
    The idler gear ratios are as follows: Standard - 27:30 and US (and CH) 27:29
    The differential (crown/pinion) ratios: Standard - 17:63, US - 16:65 and CH - 17:61
    From this follows that the Euro, US and CH (Swiss) versions end up with three different
    engine to wheels ratio.
    So I just need to find out whether the Canadian cars in fact are US cars with km/h speedos
    (and metric instruments).
    Verell, the most practical way would be to find the exact speedo, otherwise I will probably go
    for a metric speedo and have it corrected for the different ratios.
    Thanks for the links.
    Malcolm, Ferrari UK, are you listening in?

11. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Check with www.paspeedo.com as mentioned above and they s/b able to help you. BTW I have a Canadian 308 which is meteric. They could convert my speedo to mph but not the odometer. Something about the pulsing unit.