Stradale CEL update.... | FerrariChat

Stradale CEL update....

Discussion in '360/430' started by JGTCNSX, Feb 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Well, last night I did the ole battery off trick again to reset the CEL. I called Ferrari of Washington (where I bought my CS) and spoke to the service mgr. He said if it comes on again see if someone in my town can pull the code so we can come up with a game plan. Nice guys to deal with at Ferrari of Washington, DC, top notch!
    After a few phone calls with the local yellow pages I found a shop in Nashville that does service Ferrari. I told them the deal about the CEL and they said bring it by if it codes again. They also said that unless you reset the code with a reset tool the light will always come back, even if the problem is fixed. This does not include the loose fuel cap CEL. So after 40 miles I got the CEL again. I went straight over to the shop (Euro Sport Auto Center). They hooked up the hand held scan tool and found a -left bank, cat low efficiency- code. Here is what is strange, I got the CEL before I did NGT and Hyper-Flow swap. Due to it being a cat code it stayed in the computer. Why it went off with the stock cat is anyone's guess. After they reset the code I went on a nice 85 mile drive with 60 miles straight highway miles and a few stops and demo drives to friends in between, also a gas stop, where I tightened the cap correctly.
    By the way, it takes 3 consecutive cycles with error messages to turn a CEL on. So now no CEL after the 85 miles. I did notice after the long drive, I pulled into my garage and saw that my cats have a bit of a glow to them. Not bright glow just a light glow. I had the CS running at idle at the time and the exhaust had no smell of raw fuel. As a matter of fact the exhaust was perfect. I wonder if this glow is normal with the Hyper-Flow cats?

2. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    My cats also glow especially around the bottom af the sensors that screw into the top rear of them.
    I was worried at first but it seems not to be a problem.
    People speculated about bad cam timing, unburned fuel etc but as both cats do it I think it's something that happens and not many people notice it.
    By the way this is on a 2003 360

3. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yea, I kind of think the same thing. My 2002 NSX cats glow after some hard driving. If you do not get the Slow Down light your Thermo Couples (located on the back side of the cats) are reading that the temps are within limits. Even if they are glowing red.