Any REAL advantage of Optima Red Top Batteries vs. Interstate? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any REAL advantage of Optima Red Top Batteries vs. Interstate?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jun 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #26 Mike328, Jul 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, I did some reading up on the optima website (http://www.optimabatteries.com/) and got a better handle on things.

The comparison that we're interested in is really between your typical Interstate battery, Optima Red Top, and Optima Yellow Top.

Optima Yellow Top: Dual purpose battery (starting and deep cycle).
    Cold Cranking Amps = 750, Weight = 42.9 lbs (Group 34 type)

Optima Red Top: Single purpose, starting battery only; not designed or warranted to be deep cycled. (Our experience reflects this...)
    Cold Cranking Amps = 800, Weight = 37.9 lbs (Group 34 type)

Notes from the attached graph. According to the chart, the Red Top delivers the highest amount of current when starting than the other batteries. The Yellow Top delivers the same or slightly more current than traditional 800 CCA batteries (even at the 750 CCA rating), up to about six seconds, but always less starting current than the Red Top.

Price Check at www.batterymart.com

Optima Red Top 34/78: $129.95
    Optima Yellow Top D34/78: $159.95

Boulder, CO Autozone (has these in stock)
    Red Top 34: $130
    Yellow Top 34: $160

Interstate MTP-91 (Currently in my 328), 700 CCA: List Price $115.95, Suggested Price $95.95

So that's that. I do see the advantages of the optima batteries in general--durability, leak free, apparently long lasting (if you don't deep cycle the red ones). I'm running an amp and some pretty strong headlights in my car, and with both on with the car off, I think it would be minutes before a battery got low, and poof, no more red top. So, I suppose I'm leaning towards a yellow top and be done with it. Figure $90 for the interstate, and $160 for the yellow top, that $70, so the cost is significant relatively, but not huge in the grand scheme of things Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Additional Info Re: Warranty

Optima Red Top: 36 Months Free Replacement, Remaining 36 Month Prorated. No warranty coverage for "Abusive service / Deep Cycle Applciations / Car Audio"

Optima Yellow Top 12 Months Free Repacement, Remaining 12 Months Prorated

Not exactly a great warranty on the Yellow Top... My feeling is they see harder use in cars with significant audio systems, i.e., the focus of the car is the sound system (tricked out Honda) and not the car (er, Ferrari). The question is, how would they stand up with more normal use, while being susceptible to an occasional deep cycle?

And seriously, is "Deep Cycling" the battery considered when you leave your dome light on overnight? Surely even a Red Top could handle this??

3. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I have a Yellow Top and never looked into the warranty issue....one year is crap....and one year prorated after that is crap too...im kinda pissed! The reasoning might be harder use, but thats why you pay more for it. They can afford more warranty replacements at the premium they are getting for the battery. If I had known this before I bought the battery, I would have passed...Oh well, we'll see how long it goes.
    And seriously, is "Deep Cycling" the battery considered when you leave your dome light on overnight? Surely even a Red Top could handle this??

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mike -- GREAT analysis. A few comments: The deep cycle warranty might be shorter because they are considering it in true "deep cycle" applications such as environments that don't recharge during use -- a golf cart for example where it is routinely discharged to a very low level. In conventional use, Optima claims that the deep cycle batteries last up to twice as long as conventional batteries, with batteries often lasting 8 years. Why they don't have a separate warranty when it is used in a car application, however, is beyond me -- but I guess part of this is that they believe people using it in a car also have some deep cycle reason for needing it (such as a high-current stereo that is often used when the car isn't running).

Regarding the dome light question, the deep cycle is actually much better (from what I've read -- I'm not a expert) in that a) deep cycle retains voltage level and current capacity much better as the battery becomes discharged,so it is more likely to start; b) the battery will not be harmed if the light is on long enough to drain it. This latter point seems to be the complaint of red top battery owners. All conventional batteries are harmed in full discharge events, so it really isn't clear whether red tops are worse than Interstate or there are just more complaints because of a failure after paying a premium for the red top. The deep cycle is designed for full drain down as it's typical use -- the D34 yellow top I have is rated for 350 discharge events -- so I'm assuming that this discharge concern is eliminated. I don't use a trickle charger on my car -- haven't needed it and try to drive it as often as possible -- so the yellow gives me comfort that, in the rare event that it does discharge, I won't be needing to replace the battery (or unknowingly live with a permanently weaked one). I wasn't aware of the shorter yellow top warranty when I bought it, but it probably wouldn't have changed my decision. If it it does fail within 24 months though, I will be calling Optima and my complete guess is that they would rubber stamp a warranty claim since it is being used in a conventional application.

This link has some deep cycle info: http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/deep_cycle_battery.asp

5. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Some comments on some of the ones ive read here. Freezing batteries? Ive lived in Minnesota my whole life, seen temps down as low as -45F, and the only batteries that freeze and crack are ones that are discharded, or in otherwords, dead. I cant imagine an Optima would like being dead and froze either.

I would be interested to see the Amp hour ratings on these batteries in comparison to a lead acid deep cycle. I cant believe the Optima could match a lead acid in amp hours.

I also agree with the fluctuation in quality of Diehards, some die fairly easy, some you cant kill if you try.

But the two big enemies of battery life, are heat, and overcharging, with laying around being discharged a close third. I would wonder what kind of temps are in the area of the 308 battery, sitting right behind the radiator. Perhaps a air duct hose to feed it ambiant air wouldnt be an awful idea? And would a short battery box fit under the battery cover? My car is 28 years old, and does not show any major signs of battery rust, so I would not be overly concerned with a lead acid battery myself. But I do see the advantage of a sealed battery if it can be proven to be superior. 150 year old technology? Cool.

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great thoughts, guys. Peter, thanks for sharing your experience with the Yellow Top.

I have elected to go with an Optima Yellow Top 34... will be picking it up from Autozone within the next hour. Price: $160.

I don't necessarily think it's the best "Value" as far as a battery goes--looks like I could replace mine for $90. But I do believe it is the best battery available for what I need.

This is a common pattern--the Valentine One radar detector follows the same pattern. Not the best "Value"--$100 less gets you, say, 80% of the effective performance--but it is the best at what it does, for my needs... so we pay a premium.

I did just finish installing the Best Possible Headlights Available for 308s/328s in the 328, and also have an amp, so these guys draw a fair amount of current. I don't want to run (another) red top.

Will report back on final cost and fitment in the 328.

7. larrymz3

larrymz3 Karting

May 29, 2005
    I have run yellow tops in my vehicles for years.

They work fine. I always use a battery maintainer (a BatteryMinder by VDC Electronics).

The yellow tops may weigh a bit more, but, they are infinitely more reliable than anything else I have ran.

8. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    My exact thought process when I bought my Valentine 1 and my Yellow Top.

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Automotive version of a Blue top.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Okay, 100. Still, it's about time the technology moved forward.

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Optima Yellow Top is in. I got the dual 34/78. Battery cables reached fine. I did not have to use any plastic adapter--the existing 328 battery clamp bolted on and over fine, battery is very secure.

Very happy with it... Most expensive battery I've ever bought (or will buy in the next five / seven years, let's hope).

Voltage of battery when I first installed it was 12.5V.

Some figures for the board: With keyless entry and clock going, doors closed, all inside lights off, the "Static" current draw at 12.5V was 0.03A (three hundredths of an amp). This is quite low--I'm happy with it (very low discharge rate--not inclinded to disconnect battery).

When I turned the IGNITION on--and left it in the RUN position (door closed, all lights off, including inside light, no radio)--current draw was about 2.8A. So you will (obviously) discharge the battery like this, after some time :).

Was not able to measure other current draw with my digital multimeter (lights, radio, etc.) as it maxes out at 10A (unfused!). But you get the picture.

On to other things--like stainless steel brake lines and painting my calipers.

But first, BBQ TIME!

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I thought I would give an update on the "yellow top" battery after a few months of use. The quote above is what I had read about deep cycle batteries prior to purchase, my experience has been somewhat different. I find the performance of the yellow top to be worse in comparison to the conventional battery it replaced in that it seems to drain more quickly than before. I never needed a trickle charger before and now I find that if the car sits for about 3 weeks (it seldom does), it's difficult to start. The "worse" performance in this regard isn't totally unexpected in this regard because the cold cranking amps of the yellow top is lower than the red, but the claims that a deep cycle battery will have more cranking power even when the voltage is low doesn't seem to be true in my experience. The advantage of the yellow top is that the battery isn't damaged when it does drain (which I assume is still true) as opposed to conventional batteries like the red top. If you use a trickle charger such that a full discharge is unlikely, probably red top is a good way to go as it costs less, has a longer warranty, and I assume it would more closely match the performance of the old conventional battery I had previously (not sure what brand). Although not overly impressed with the yellow top, I would make the choice to use Optima again because of the construction quality vs. a regular battery. This doesn't mean I dislike the yellow top, but it has been less impressive than I expected, so I thought I would share that experience.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Dude, it's just a battery. Get one at Sears or Costco ($40) and fuggedaboutit. No need for the optima unless you want to show it off to someone. Ferrari owners are careful enough to avoid acid spills which is about the only real advantage.
    BT

14. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    MY experience may be unusual, but my red top Optima has been starting my 328 without incident for 10 years. I'm going to replace it just now because it's finally beginning to lose charge. Maybe I got a good one or hold my motuh right while I turn the key, but I'm buying another one anyway. BTW the battery in a 328 is under the spare and not visible. So, I won't be showing it off.

15. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've had the optima yellow top in for seven months now, and the last time I thought about a battery was seven months ago.

I never claimed that the yellow top had greater CCAs than a red-top. As I recall, it actually has slightly less.

Over the past three months with winter and my wedding, the car has sat for a week, two weeks, and once or twice three weeks at a time.

I never had a single issue with starting it--no matter how long it had been sitting, it started up literally as if it had been driven the day before.

I do not use a trickle charger and have never had to on the 328. I have installed a voltmeter on a push-button switch so I can monitor the battery strength from inside the cabin at any time, though.

The important thing with the yellow top is, if you deep cycle the thing because you leave the dome light on, you're not hosed. That's why I did it. To me, this is an important consideration, and in day-to-day operations, its performance has been no different than my previous red-tops (one of which failed due to, presumably, deep-cycling when working on the electrics in the old 308).

16. twoferraristom

Apr 2, 2004
    One day I noticed water running down my rocker panel ( Jag E-type ). It turned out to be battery acid from my Diehard. That was when I bought my first Optima Red top. I have never looked back !

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I bought a Costco Battery (size group 9, I believe it was called) 5 years ago and it has been great. Vintage cars tend to require a bit more cranking, but then again, I maintain my battery with a trickle charger.

When I was asking about the Costco batteries, one gentleman in their auto dept told me it is critical that the battery be maintained. He regularly sees boat owners complain about buying a new battery in summer, store the boat unused over winter and find it is dead in the springtime.

18. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Mike328 (and sorry if this was already mentioned). I'm using the yellow-top in my car..........also happens to match the car.....but its been excellent so far, and I believe because that one is also deep cycle.

I will add this.........If the car is not run for 3-4weeks for some strange reason, I do put a charge on it to play-it-safe.

Bob

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The acid spills can occur no matter how careful a person is.

The gassing, boiling and spillage is usually caused by overcharging, either by a battery charger being used incorrectly, a faulty voltage regulator or a warped and shorted plate in the battery, (caused by freezing or over heating).

With the battery mounted under the spare tire in a 308/328 no owner will know there is spillage until he pulls the spare and finds a mess (like I did) or looks under the car at the white residue on the concrete left by the acid.

For those reasons alone I'll stick with the Optima.

20. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Optima is owned by interstate batteries

Any way have sold about or recommended the use of optima yellow top deep cycle in about 50 applications. Also have recommended the Blue top Deep (Marine) cycle, which is the prefered .

I had one in my 308 for 6 years, still great when I sold it
    Have a yellow top in my wifes mustang going on 8 years.

Charging and maintenance, clean terminals is the most important issue with any battery period. The Optima are more sensitive that expected.

Anyway, I don't handle the optima any longer, ther are opthers with the same design , under agreements, as a matter of fact AC Delco also has one ( Spiral Cell)

My business is battery system and power supplies, I now import my batteries direct from the manufacturers.

My 2 cents. I recommend them.

21. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This is was the factor that convinced me to use the yellow top as well because I didn't want to have to think about it if the battery drains. I knew the specs on the yellow (deep cycle) were slightly worse, but I didn't think I would really notice a difference. I have noticed a negative difference in general performance, but I still like the fact that the yellow is rated for something like 350 full power drain cycles. It sounds like you have seen similar performance with the yellow as with a standard battery -- maybe the yellow top I bought is slightly defective.

22. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Let me update some info here:

The warrantee on the RED TOP batteries are 72 months... first 3 years free replacement, second 3 years prorated.

The YELLOW TOP battery warranty is for 24 months... first year free replacement, second year prorated.

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Have a red top Optima in the Boxer, bought at Sear's. Left the interior lights on, after one week battery had totally discharged. It took nearly 8 hours on a medium strength, but the battery took the charge and has not been a problem since.

24. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #49 kerrywittig, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have Red tops in 6 vehicles (2 of which have dual battery set-ups) at this time and have been using Optimas for the past 8 years. My experience with all their models: red/yellow/blue are as follows...........

Reds have always been good to me, for years. Primarily I use them in vehicles equipped with winches. Winches are notorious for huge amperage draws and will seperate a good battery from a poor one.......quickly. The Reds do have a tendency, that when left to go flat, are a bear to get recharged back to their "original" condition. It seems that they are never as strong as they were before being flattened. And this doesn't seem to make a difference whether they are recharged fast, slow, or medium.

Yellows, being a deep cycle type battery, you would think would be the proper type for winching?!?! I have had 3 of them in various vehicles w/winches and they seemed to discharge rapidly and take an inordinate amount of time to come back to full/proper levels. I do not have even one of them still in service...........got sick of the "down time".......

Blues are just a Yellow top with threaded terminals (marine type connection) versus the typical clamping poles that we are all accustom to on automotive style batteries.

My real world experience with the Optima batteries...............Red top is a great battery, Tough, Powerful, Versatile and should give years of service, if the charge is maintained within a reasonable range.

I currently have a Red in my TR.

And as far as a great battery that offers durability, compact dimensions, very low weight, versatility and even the ability to run a winch................Odyssey Batteries..............This is the one and only battery I run in my competetive rockcrawling buggy........My #PC680 battery, all 15 lbs. of it..............keeps my 450 hp LS-1 engine started & running, all the electronics in the cockpit stable, lighting, nice and bright and operates 2 winches (1-9500 lb. in the front & 1- 2500 lb. to load and unload the rear suspension) all this, under the most adverse of conditions, conditions that an F car will never (or shouldn't) be exposed to!!!...........

Here is some info about Odyssey's batteries............................

Guaranteed longer service life - The ODYSSEY® battery, with a ten year design life and a three-to-eight year service life, saves you time and money because you do not have to replace your battery as often. It is also the ONLY battery that is capable of delivering a large number of deep cycles - up to 400 when fully discharged or up to 500 when discharged to 80%. Plus, the battery is specially designed for high vibration applications.

Longer storage life - Unlike conventional batteries that need to be recharged every six to twelve weeks, the ODYSSEY® battery, when fully charged , can be stored for up to 2 years at room temperature (25°C, 77°F). At lower temperatures, storage times will be even longer.

Overdischarge/deep discharge recovery - The ease with which the ODYSSEY® battery recovers from this type of application abuse is unheard of. Should ODYSSEY® become deeply discharged, simply recharge following instructions in the ODYSSEY® Owners Manual.

Superior cranking and fast recharge capability - The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY® batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as -40°C. Also, with simple constant voltage charging (alternator or independant charger), there is no limitation on the inrush current, so the user is assured of fast charge recovery.

Mounting flexibility - The ODYSSEY® battery may be installed in any orientation except inverted without sacrificing any performance attributes.

Superior vibration resistance - ODYSSEY® batteries are of military grade and have endured very rigorous tests that demonstrate their overall ruggedness and exceptional tolerance of mechanical abuse.

Worry-free shipping - The sealed Drycell™ design of the ODYSSEY® battery eliminates the need for acid vent tubes so there is no more fear of acid burns or damage to expensive chrome or paint. Owing to the starved-electrolyte design, the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) has classified the ODYSSEY® battery as a dry battery, so it may be shipped worry-free by UPS/Federal Express or by air.

Ready out of the box - ODYSSEY® batteries are shipped fully charged. If ODYSSEY® voltage is 12.65V or greater simply install the battery in your vehicle and you are ready to go! If below 12.65V, boost charge following the instructions in the ODYSSEY® Owner's Manual and/or Technical Manual.

Maintenance free - No routine maintenance of ODYSSEY® batteries is required.

Great product...................http://odysseybatteries.com/

My 2 cents
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Follow up: Two years, 0 issues with my Optima Yellow Top. I did manage to deep-cycle it once, no problems. I use a battery tender in the winter.