swift lock flooring??? | FerrariChat

swift lock flooring???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by fanatic1, Feb 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Hi guys, I've done a lot of hardwood floor installs, and some tounge and groove glue laminate flooring.......the newest thing out is this Swift Lock....snaps into place. No glueing. Has anyone used it? How easy is it to do? I was wondering if there are any pitfalls associated with installation. It's a small area nothing to complicated.

thanks!

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    like Pergo? I've done one home ~770 sq.ft. of it.

3. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    yeah, like Pergo. They used to have the tongue and groove, that you glued together.........now there's no glue, just snap and click............"Swift Lock" is the trade name.

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I put it in a room in my house - not sure if it was that brand but it was the no-glue "click and lock" stuff. It's OK, BUT, because the whole floor is basically floating, it has to be really flat or you really feel it. I thought I had mine perfectly flat but after installing 1/2 the floor there were a few spots that felt "springy". It took a long time to adjust it all out. Then again, I was putting it on a concrete floor so regular hardwood + nails wasn't really going to work.

Overall its pretty good and probably have to say a lot easier to install than regular hardwood. Overall I am happy with it but it does 'feel' sort of different than hardwood. I definitely prefer the feel of hardwood underfoot and if I was doing another room, I would choose traditional hardwood with nails due to the more positive and solid feel it has.

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've done ~770 sq.ft. of Pergo in a friend's house. It came in 5 different grades of quality. The bottom two - those are sold at Home Depot and the like. Flooring stores sell the other grades.

It is easy to work with. It doesn't snap per se, but needs to be hammered in with a hammer and a plastic block (to prevent splitting of the pieces).

Also, it's been almost 3 years since I put that floor in, and it is still holding up very well. Many big dogs have lived in that home and the floor is fine fine fine.