Thinking of getting a Boxer am I crazy?? | FerrariChat

Thinking of getting a Boxer am I crazy??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by martyb, Feb 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    Okay, I am thinking of selling my 97 Porsche Twin Turbo S and possibly buying a Boxer. I know they are two completely different beasts. I don't drive much so maint. shouldn't be an issue. The S is fast and cool but a Ferrari next to our Maserati coup would be awesome!

The Boxer was my dream car before the S. I am just a little confused!!

I am set on getting a Ferrari. I could probably jump to a CS or a 430 but man I have always loved the Boxers!! Help!!

Have never ridden in one so if any owner in So Cal will ablige that would be cool.

Marty

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Its ok man,everyone is allowed to go a little crazy :D

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You are crazy, but don't worry, it's a good kind of crazy!

One comment: you mention that maintenance shouldn't be a problem because you won't drive it much. I wouldn't count on that. Boxers don't take well to sitting, and much of the maintenance you'll need to do is related to calendar time more than miles.

Of course, if your idea of "not driving much" is over 1,000 miles per year then you should be fine.

4. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Go with the Boxer I think it is one of the best cars Ferrari produced.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If it sits a lot, get an injected one. Much more friendly to drive and my personal opinion is the engine looks incredible with those big runners and the ferrari script on them. Go for the boxer. Isnt there a saying about porsche owners and their peepee being small? I would want to shed that image if I were you :)

6. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    You will have plenty of support in your own backyard.We talk Boxers all the time at CC.I will be there this Saturday with mine as well as mabey 2 others.Price is right to aquire one these days.

7. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    I think I would be looking for a 83 or 84 model. I know it will cost more to maintain than the Porsche. Hell I might even drive it more!!

Any leads on cars for sale?

Would it be advisable to go through someone like Mike Sheehan since I have no experience with these cars?

And thanks again for the advice everybody.

There was a really nice Red/Tan at Sport Auto that sold really fast. looked super clean. I don't want to buy a project car as I am not too good with a wrench.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Boxers are great cars. I love them.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#9 Ricambi America, Feb 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Crazy??? CRAZY LIKE A FOX!!! You'd have to be a complete doofus to not want a Boxer!! Get it, drive it, love it.

All Boxers look cool. Even this one:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sport Auto seems to get a lot of nice Boxers. Just bought my 328 there, and it was traded on a breathtaking blue Boxer. Talk to Steve Barney - knows his stuff and he's patient with even the most difficult customers (according to what I, uh, heard - yeah).

Gary Bobileff here in San Diego has nice carb'ed one. Black/ivory.

11. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    A boxer is a great looking, great performing Ferrari.

I left mine sit for a couple of years (83 injected) and she started up no problems whatsoever. Here in Canada our cars regularly sit for six months at a time. Put in good fuel stabilizer, overinflate the tires, change the oil and keep her clean, again no problems in almost a decade of ownership.

I've got multi carb cars and the injected cars have never let me down. Carbs do have a tendancy to gum up and dry out vs an injected system. Whether your buying one for the looks or arguably affordable price in 12 cylinder land I'd say you can't go wrong.

Enjoy hunting.

12. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Make sure you get to drive one. I think they are gorgeous cars, but too me the ergonomics were crippling. The seat is turned to face left, the pedals are off on the right, and the hub of the steering wheel is pointed at my right shoulder. In 10 minutes, I needed a chiropracter.

But maybe it will fit you better...

13. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    I guess we are all different. I'm 6'3" and have had no problem. Putting a helmet on in one, then I need the chiropracter.

14. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    I would be selling a really nice, fast, limited production car. have any of you
    done that to go back in time a bit to pick up a classic with 6 more cylinders?

After having a twin turbo the speed isn't as important after a while. No to mention Southern California traffic!

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I sat in my Boxer tonight, and none of these "features" were really evident. Could it be that the car you sat in was a total wreck??

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #16 RP, Feb 8, 2006

This is a Boxer n excellent condition:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    #17 Senna1994, Feb 8, 2006
  18. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    The Boxer is a car I dream of owning. I'd prefer the carbed version myself. But thats just me. Hey! going from 4 webbers to 6...oh yea baby... and that 12cyl..........thats what dreams are made of! If you do it you'll never look back. Keep us posted. We wannabe boxer owners are waiting to see what happens next! :D

Hats off to ya!

Cheers!
    DT

There is nothing like a Ferrari, there never has been and never will be!

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i'm 6-4 and could drive mine all day w/o the need for back adjustment.

20. ferraripete

the blue car was ok. it had a stainless steel exhaust and did sound lovely though.

21. ferraripete

if you are in newport beach, and are serious about a boxer, you should move this thread to the so cal section. armen will chime in and will possibly let you look at his. he will also be able to tell you the good and bad on the bb.

a note, coming from a p-car, few cars (if any) will impress you for performance wise.

the fit and finish will also blow away that of a hand made car like the bb.

having said that, the bb is the last of the true hand made cars from scaglietti. they are wonderful machines and actually feel pretty robust. the sound is also w/o equal.

get one and enjoy it as they really are special.

when you get one you are not just a ferrari owner...you are a "boxer" owner!

22. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    As long as you’re comfortable with going retro, you’ll love the car!
    It won’t be as fast as your TT, and won’t have all the amenities, because, well, it’s a Boxer! Last of the aluminum hand built Ferraris wrapped around a glorious 12 cylinder carbed or injected engine. The whole driving experience is raw and exhilarating! Take a ride in one, and you’ll know right away if it’s the car for you.
    The steering wheel offset and close peddles are something you get used too quickly, and the sound of the engine wrapped up at even 4 or 5 thousand RPM is something you’ll never tire of hearing.
    You’ll get roasted through the huge windshield during the summer and the radio speakers sound like a couple of tin cans, but what the heck, it’s a Boxer!
    Carbs or injected are a personal preference. My 1979 BB has never failed to start, and run perfectly, even after sitting for 2 months, but if you run it around town at 1500 RPM it does try to foul sparkplugs though. But just putting it in 2nd instead of 3rd. and running around at 3000RPM takes care of that, and that’s about the RPM when they really start sounding like a frigging beast!
    If you decide one is for you, be sure to find a good one! The more maintenance history the better. Get a PPI. Be absolutely positive the timing belts are current. Unknown drive-train/engine issues can cost dearly, but a well sorted car is an exhilarating and unbelievable ride, trumped only by sex. Maybe!

23. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    After my ride today in my BB I must say its the only vehicle including many fast motorcycles that gives me such a rush/thrill.Its fast but the sound of the motor is intoxicating and it drives how I could imagine a late 60s Ferrari race car would.

On the back roads everytime I was running it hard up through the gears I would occasionally catch myself in the rear view mirror with a huge ear to ear grin looking like a goof, nothing else ever has done that for me including many fast 911s a 930, Ferraris and other sports cars.

24. ferraripete

trumped by sex ...only when your doing it.

when driving...it is a bit better than sex!!!!

but she has to be a seriously hot chick nonetheless.

25. ferraripete

i agree jeff...going up hard through the gears makes you feel weak in the knees.

i too have driven and currently own several rockets and the boxer is the only car that makes me talk to my self while driving...i always say, "damn, what a fuggin machine!"

i said it while driving your car too john!!!

as tony paladino told me when i was looking to buy one...

"the boxer is the spartacus of ferrari road cars"

...and peter sweeney from forza motors said...

"boxers...they just suck you in!"

i will buy other cars but will consider my boxer the car they bury me in! hopefully after many, many more years of ownership!!!!!