My F430 track ride.... | FerrariChat

My F430 track ride....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FFOUR, Feb 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    #1 FFOUR, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yesterday was a great day for me, I finally got to experience an F430 - and luckily enough it was on a racetrack too! :)

Barbagallo were having an invite only trackday for their customers and Pete Wall was kind enough to invite me along as his passenger. :)

The owner of the F430 I went in was extremely generous, spending most of the day give passenger laps and even letting others drive it.

The acceleration/cornering was obviously impressive, but what shocked me most was the braking (ceramics)! :eek: I nearly headbutted the dashboard the first time down the hill......unbelievable!

Here is an onboard video of 2 laps around the track: http://www.ozcarsightings.com/F430_onboard.WMV (10Mb)

How good does this Gallardo sound? http://www.ozcarsightings.com/Barbagallo_Gallardo.WMV (1.6Mb)

Some pics (more at http://www.ozcarsightings.com/barbagallotrackday1.html)

The GT2 has about 600hp btw..... :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Fun fun fun. :)

BTW: The second video doesn't work.

3. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks, should work now. :)

4. osg

osg Formula 3
    BANNED

May 1, 2005
    In Chinese food?
    Full Name:
    MSG...
    Dingo, the brakes are impressive aren't they.............. on the clubman track at QR and down in turn 3 on the international circuit (long) i got the same feeling of having your eyes popping out of your head!

5. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    that's scary

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ahhhhh dear. you guys are hopeless. would you care to explain to me why you think it would be that a 430 with ceramics would be able to brake any harder than any other car without ceramics?

you guys have no friggin idea sometimes.

7. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    pee pee your such a pee pee

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    yeah maybe...but it ****s me listening to guys who should know better sprouting such total BS.

they sound like overexcited little school girls.

hey..maybe you agree with them about the brakes, then?

9. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    What you talking about old man? Everyone knows ceramics make cars stop faster, because steel rotors aren't powerful enough to lock up and the friction co-efficient of the tyres is irrelevant.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    the only thing the ceramics have over the 355CH braking system is that they "may" be able to do it for a longer period and that the355 brakes won't last as long , "allegedly"

six pot Brembos vs CC brakes .... hmmm, I've just paid $40k for CC brakes so they must be better right ?

I thought the CC brakes on the CS were incredible Rog from the viewpoint that they were consistent in the half a dozen laps we did around QR which is very hard on brakes, normal cars (308s) the brakes fade after 3 laps but pot Bembos would never suffer fade I am reliably told so it comes down to brake rotor life which is what the CCBs were suppose to be about and in some quarters even that seems doubtful considering the cost.

11. beama

beama F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve. G.
    Stephen, is this tongue in cheek or are you being serious?

12. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    You are saying there is NO improvement what so ever?
    Ohh its Ferrari with another $20,000 gag.

Agreed the brakes wouldnt see much improvement if any on day to day drives to the shops/traffic but on a track you would notice the difference. Else the Carbon Ceramic engineers have been running a cool hoax the past 10yrs+ :p

edit: Opps forgot to talk about the event.

Cool Dingo, I spoted a 430 spider and G yesterday and u get to run around in them...... :cool:

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    hahaha...oh yeah...thanks Steve...I forgot :)

14. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    i think dingo hasn't had much seat time in anything too flash on the track . he was just showing his passion about cars and his respect for the 430 . not all have had an F40 your holy one ( bowing as i step back into the shadows )

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    i have never experienced even the slightest bit of fade in my 355ch no matter how many laps I've done and no matter at what circuit. In fact, my biggest challenge (excuse the pun) is to get them hot enough!

16. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    The benefits of carbon-ceramic brake rotors over conventional ones are that they are lighter, and also can withstand higher temperatures; therefore they will continue braking after steel or cast-iron discs have faded and warped.

Improved braking ability isn't one of their features because this is limited by the grip of the tyres.

17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    fine...so say "i've never experienced such incredible braking" instead of speaking lunacy. all i'm saying...keep it factual, instead of doing a motor journo bull**** writeup.

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

DH...yeah...that's what i said...UHUH...yep

19. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    driving fast ?

20. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    sorry my obe 1 ca no be nist

21. beama

beama F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve. G.
    Hate to spoil this brake party, but let's not start believing that more cylinders on calipers make you stop that much better. They certainly apply pressure more evenly than less cylinders but the gain in braking is quite small. Bigger pads, rotors and tyres is what stops ya. Then different qualities of these result in better friction and longer or shorter life before fading or causing rotors to warp.

22. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Making sure weight transfer under braking is correct also has a large impact.

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    yeah...my theory is that THAT makes the biggest single difference in retardation, at least once, all other things being equal (tyres, weight...etc)

24. chewy7

chewy7 Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Brisbane, QLD.
    Full Name:
    Shane
    Nice pics as usual man, Some bloody nice cars turned out, Great to see them on the track :D

25. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    maybe I can't read my own posts but where did I say the ceramic brakes stop harder than convential ones?

All I did was put "ceramics" in brackets to point out which brakes he had, as I'm sure someone would've asked.

As scud has pointed out I don't have much track experience so I would have nothing to compare them against anyway, only street performance where obviously they aren't used as hard.

You guys have no friggin idea sometimes. :rolleyes: