Hello all 246 enjoyers, | FerrariChat

Hello all 246 enjoyers,

Discussion in '206/246' started by CliffDonnon, Feb 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffDonnon

CliffDonnon Karting

Jan 28, 2006
    I have just purchased my first Ferrari a 246 Dino 1973.Beautiful car.
    However I also like to work on my own cars because of the satisfaction it gives me.
    Can you please recommend a good workshop manual or DVD that explains the intricacies of the breed?

Thank you
    Cliff Donnon
    Australia

2. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi,
    Welcome on board Cliff.

you can get a repro manual off e-bay, poor print quality and strange layout but otherwise acceptable, dont know of any dvd's as such.
    But never mind all that tell us all about the car!
    Any pics?

Graham.

3. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    Which one cliffe?

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'd suggest Angelo Wallace's Dino manual for repairs and maintenance. His widow still sells them, here:

http://www.bristolnotes.com/fsm/index.htm

About $100 I think.

Copies of the Ferrari Repair manual are also available. they bear a striking resemblance to the Wallace version. I see them now and again on Ebay.

Neither manual will help you with intricate repairs, but they do provide a basic guidline to doing work on the car.

I recently rebuilt my starter, and the manual was helpful, a little. Mostly it was trial and error on my part until I got it apart, and back together.

DM

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

PIX??? serial #. Maybe some details??? Don't tease us.

DM

6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Congratulations!
    Superformance in the UK sells the 246 workshop manual and parts book on CD for 20.00 USD each. A great deal and very useful. I use it a great deal for performing the maintenance on my Dino. The owner's manual is also helpful. You can download this from the Ferrari Factory Owner's site.

I also downloaded off the internet a pdf copie of the 308GT4 manual for reference.

Richard
    #03510 DinoGT

7. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have and use Angelo Wallace's translation of the factory manual. The owner's manual itself has basic stuff, too.

Jim Oddie
    246GT 2840

8. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Start out with Wallace's translation. Only big error I found was torque rating of 6 mm studs. Factory book was wrong so can't blame Wallace. Limit should be about 1.3 Kg/M, not 3.3 Kg/M for those studs. Mark the table and the place where the book tells you to replace cam caps.

You also need the Parts Book. Mine is in Italian but the pictures are universal. The old part numbers are useless so no problem there. Many of the illustrations do not agree with my 1972 Dino GT. Motor mounts, transmission details, etc. Probably no two Dinos alike. Have to live with it.

If you do anything on your own car, take photos as you take it apart. Keep fasteners in groups. Never force anything back together. If it doesn't go, you are doing something wrong.

Owner's manual helps on some things. Best help of all is to start a relationship with one of the Ferrari parts suppliers. You will have to use plain english to get parts because of the numbering mess. The pictures and parts list allow you to say "TAV.6, part17" when you want a valve seal. GT Car Parts in Phoenix and Maranello in Atlanta are very good. They can supply the books, advice and encouragement.

Don't know of any Video or DVD but FerrariChat is a great resource. Take a look at my "Dino Saga" series in the "Technical Q&A" forum. I have 186,000 miles on my Dino and do as much work myself as possible. It has been a blast. The car has been my daily driver for 20 years. I have been posting a thread every Sunday for a while to pass on some of the things I have learned. Lots of others are helpful to anyone keeping a car running and delighting their owner.

Welcome to the group,

John

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you register with the factory's website you'll have access to electronic versions of the original documents for free.

Don't pay EBay scammers for CDs of manuals, that only encourages those charlatans!

10. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    what is the website?

Thanks,

Jim

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Cliff,

I believe that many of the documents for your car are available at the Ferrari website in the owner's section. I don't know how to get to them, but the instructions are in one of these threads.

Good Luck with your car and welcome aboard!

Regards,

Art S.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  13. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You are now officially 'my new hero', and inspiration!