Best racing game??? | FerrariChat

Best racing game???

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by jamesw, Feb 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesw

jamesw Karting

Nov 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James W
    What is the best racing game made? Are there any great games for computers, or would xbox be the best? I am looking for something you can get a steering wheel for. Thanks James

2. Clubsport78

Clubsport78 Formula 3

Sep 7, 2005
    D-Nbg
    Full Name:
    Marco A.
    Some years ago i was an excellent player of GTR 2002 Mod for F12002, and also another mod, BPR Endurance GT.

Now i play GTR, the official Fia - GT game, from Simbin Development Team. If you like Ferrari 550 Prodrive, Morgan Aero 8, Maserati MCC, Saleen S7R, Ferrari 575 GTC, 360 Modena GT, Lister Storm and Porsche 996 GT3 RSR.... Then this is YOUR game!

3. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Well there is Gran Turismo 4 for the Playstation 2. Its a brilliant game. For the computer there is GTR which is from what I've heard and read very hard but also very good. Also there is Gran Prix drivers for the computer. You race F1 cars from 1967. Good luck finding a copy though. Its even harder than GTR skill wise. Theres Forza and Project Gotham Racing for the XBOX. I've never played them so I wont comment on them. All of them can be used with a wheel. I highly recomend a wheel for Gran Prix drivers and GTR. The keyboard is crap.

4. TGarretson

TGarretson Rookie

Mar 28, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Tom Garretson
    It depends what level of realism you're going for, but if you want to use a wheel I would look at computer based games, so you could check out rFactor at rfactor.net. We use it in the online league I race in. Probably the best physics engine out right now. However, to avoid licensing fees there aren't any "real" cars, just F1 style and and a couple other specs of racing. Instead it's up to the modding community to create add-ons. The F1 2005 season should be out in a month or 2.

5. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    F1 99-2002 for the PC with the RH2005 mod and a thrustmaster F1 wheel is the most fun i've ever had with a game.

6. Sohail

Sohail Karting

Oct 6, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Sohail
    F1 career challange is a great game. Very realistic and challenging. PS2 though.

Sohail

7. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    Forza Motorsport for Xbox.

8. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    TOCA simulator for XBOX is very good also

9. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    F1C

GTR

rFactor (and the countless mods, currently driving PCC, F1C, and karts)

Todd

10. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I prefer need for speed most wanted on the xbox 360.

11. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    I have never played a game more realistic than GT4 with the longitech steering wheel. Best game ever made IMHO.

12. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Rallysport Challenge 2

By far the most fun game and even better with two players.

13. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Grand Prix Legends by far.

I bought this game in 1998 and then a rash of other games over the years --> GP3, F12002, WRC 2002 for Playstation, GT3, GT4, GTR.

Today I am still playing Grand Prix Legends. Speaks volumes of how good it is.

The game is tough ... you leave it for a few months and come back to it and you will find yourself hitting the walls and spinning out like a newbie. It takes time to work into the groove.

Additionally there are the best track selection in the world offered standard and downloadable - Nurburgring, Old Spa, Old Laguna Seca, etc. Scary tracks but awesome to drive on.

The cars are simple to operate with limited tweaking options unlike today's F1 cars with mind numbing features to tweak on. Additionally, the old cars are very twitchy and agile - no downforce means that you cant go flat thru corners like in newer race cars. Sliding is the norm and is real fun with the thin tires of old.

I think the GT4/Forza games aree a good companion set to GPL and are more arcade like by comparison (at least to me). But they give you the ability to "test" today's road cars against each other .. how does an RS4 match up against a M3? Vette vs Viper? They are all there. I did the whole career building thing with GT3 but couldnt be arsed to repeat the whole thing again when I got the GT4. So I just go into the arcade mode and try out the various cars at Laguna Seca to see how they compare.

I sampled the NASCAR game once and it seemed quite fun with the bumper to bumper racing - the multi car pile-ups were hilarious. I may buy this in future

14. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I'd like to give another nod to Grand Prix Legends. If you're not a better driver than Jimmy Clark, you're not going to beat him in the game.

I'll always remember the first ad I saw for GPL back in '98, "In 1968, they changed the rules of Grand Prix racing to reduce fatalities. Welcome to 1967."

15. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have F1-2002 for PC and GT4/Forza for PS2/XBox, respectively. The F1 game was amazing, but on a laptop, was difficult to master with the opponents set at anything more than 75% of actual capability. I looked at the track records, and I wondered how anyone in their right minds come even come *close* to matching, let alone beating, those times.

In terms of console games, I loved GT3... When GT4 came out, I wanted more out of it, but it didn't quite deliver. Reluctantly, I purchased Forza for my XBox. It had Ferraris, and somehow, that missing "it" factor I was looking for in GT4! I love it...In my opinion, better than GT4 in many ways. Perhaps not as realistic in terms of the individual cars' physics, but unless you are the "creme de la creme" of video game drivers, it won't make a difference to you anyway. Forza Motorsports is an absolutely fantastic driving game, and it should not be overlooked.

~Aaron

16. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    GT4 for PS2.

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I got a lot of good feedback from a similar question I posted a moth or so back.

I went with PS2 and GT3/4. I got a crappy wheel and pedals so I haven't been too happy but once I get a better wheel it should be more fun.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87244

18. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    [​IMG]

Controller is important.. I know guys who have paid upwards of $800-$1000 on controllers for simracing.. I do alright with my trusty red Momo.. On my xBox, I use the standard controller, and it's ok. For console gaming, I don't see using a wheel as being something I need to enjoy the experience.

And as for GPL.. It was my initial simracing contact.. I found it difficult, and abandoned it shortly after F1-2002 came out. I drove the wheels off of it, and then revisited GPL. I found I could make it around the track with some sense of being fast. I parked the Eagle again for a year, while enjoying F1C, and more recently GTR and rFactor. I think it's time to reinstall GPL and see if my no-aids experience with GTR and rFactor make my GPL driving all that much better.

Todd

19. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    GTR2 hits in July. Definitely worth the wait! :D

20. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    Dunno about GTR2.. GTL was interesting graphically, but the interface and career mode was a bit sketchy..

Now.. Champcar for rFactor.. that's the one I'm waiting for.

Todd

21. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Forza motorsport for xbox. Project Gotham series for xbox.
    Gran turismo for ps2.
    outrun by sega for numerous platforms (features ferraris galore, exclusively)
    Daytona by sega for arcades
    need for speed most wanted

22. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Its interesting to note that most people who play F1 games have played F1 2002 and not something of a more recent season.

The reason I didnt want to do so was to race on the old Hockenheim ring - none of those mickey mouse carbon copy circuits of today back then in 2002. Besides there is hardly that much difference in the car feel from 2002 to 2005 unlike say driving a 60s F1 car and a 2000s F1 car.

23. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    i've been addicted to Project Gotham Racing 3 since it came out great game. Forza Motorsport is also a great racing game. I'm still waiting for a good racing wheel to come out for the 360 tho, something to compete with the logitech 900degree force feedback wheel would be amazing.

24. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    I added filter properties to all my EA F1C tracks so that I could drive them in any season..

25. 550Maranello575

550Maranello575 Formula 3

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    I'd have to say Forza for Xbox and Gran Turismo 4 for PS2. I havnt really played many racing games for computer... Only NFS: Hot Persuit.