How does a 'foreigner' register a car in the USA? | FerrariChat

How does a 'foreigner' register a car in the USA?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Feb 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    OK, I live in Canada.

I can import certain Ferrari's into Canada, but a large number I can't, unless of course I do a stupid amount of 'improvements' to the car. But I would be better off if I could just buy a USA car and let it remain a USA car, register it there under my name, and then bring it into Canada and simply 'use it'.

Is this possible? Do I only need a USA address and I'm on my way with this idea?

Comments?

Thanks!
    Wes

2. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You need a USA address.

3. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    get a PO box down here :D

or any friends down here that could help ya out? My dad did that with his parents when they were in Illinois and he was in Indiana :)

4. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    When did Illinios relinquish its Canadian status?

5. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    Bad idea

One of the guys at our airport did the same thing on a plane and ended up having the plane impounded by the GST cops. The plane was taken away for over two years while he fought it and ended up paying storage fees and fines for evading the taxes that far exceeded anything that he would have encountered during a normal importation.

The government wants their taxes and vehicles that meet the burocratic standards that are set in this country.

6. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    well then get a ligit address. Rent a barn or storage unit down here and keep it there, you wont be able to drive it all the time, but it beats not being aloud to even have one :)

7. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    get the address in a state that doesn't require inspections like fl. buy a condo, rent it out and license the car here. your done. you might actually make money on the rental fees.

8. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    The problem is insurance. Almost nobody realizes that US car insurance is strictly domestic. I you go to Canada, your car is not insured, unless you get an extension on your insurance. Many US insurances don't even have that service, and if they do there is a time limit attached.

I have a car outside of the US with NY license plates (in Europe) and had a tough time getting insurance. It finally worked out as a bussiness car, but I still had to get local liabillity insurance in addition to the US insurance.

I also had to fight the local customs, to extend the 6 month time limit, before local taxes became due. I now have a 30 month permit. I guess that Canada will not be too much different.

9. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    My goodness you are the answer to my prayer, thats exactly what I have been trying to do have a car in Europe with NY plates, but no one could tell me how or figure out how to get through the insurance issue, PLEAAAASE tell me how you did that!

10. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Thanks for all the input guys.....I think I'll just not try it!

Kinda thought a 550 would be a nice car till I could get a DB9, but guess I'll have to suffer with 328's and 348's till then. Oh well..... ;)

Wes