Please help me! | FerrariChat

Please help me!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by lawandorder360, Feb 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Hey there guys,

Here it goes: my family may be moving to Fairfax, VA over the summer. This is just one of the places my parents are looking for jobs. I've been assigned the task of looking for real estate, and I haven't been very successful. Here's my question:

Can someone show me websites where the primary listings are townhouses in the Fairfax area? Preferably rentals. What are some good places to live around Fairfax?

Oh, here's another question: is it reasonable to live in DC and work in Fairfax? From what I've seen, most of the good private schools (for me ) are in or near DC. How far is the drive from Fairfax?

Thanks again guys!

Mike

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hey Mike,

I think realtor.com has rental information. Also, see if you can get copies of the Washington Post (it might be online) classifieds.

What grade are you and what type of private school are you looking for?

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Realtor.com is a great place. MANY MANY listings.

As for the schools, I dont know which ones you will be looking at but i know Gonzaga College HS and Georgetown Prep are both great schools. Georgetown Prep is a little far from Fairfax, but Gonzaga is in the heart of DC and is a great campus and a great school.

4. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio

I'm currently in the 10th grade, so I'll be entering the new school as a junior. I'm looking for a well known private all-boys or co-ed school. That's all we know right now :(

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hey................

It's :) not :( ok?

10th grade...... great time

Georgetown Prep is a Jesuit Catholic school in Rockville MD.

Here is a list of schools in VA

http://www.vcpe.org/new-accredited_schools.htm

There are links to every school

I really think you should pick about 4 you have interest in and go visit them.

These are schools I recognise In Va

http://www.bishopireton.org
    http://www.potomacschool.org
    http://www.episcopalhighschool.org

In DC
    St. Albans

In MD

Georgetown Prep

Landon

6. NigelM5

NigelM5 Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Full Name:
    NIGEL
    Try St. Stephens in Alexandria too.

7. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    If it is the public schools you are trying to avoid (I dont know about Ohio schools) tell your parents that No. VA has some of the best public education in the nation. I think the most recognized private schools have been posted though. Good luck, let us know how things go.

-David (Junior this year)

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

I was searching for that school........ thanks

I know the Middle School Director for that one.

9. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    good man. Im a senior in an all boys school right now in philly.

LetsJet you forgot Gonzaga in DC. Gonzaga is all boys in DC, and they are pretty good at sports if thats a concern for you. My cousin goes to Bishop Ireton so if you have any questions about that i can ask him for you.

10. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    For rentals I always use www.craigslist.org then click washington DC. It covers fairfax area

Antony

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Actually, I didn't...........

I've never had a great impression of Gonzaga. But, I went to HS many years ago (GPrep). So things might have changed.

12. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    I would also look at www.homestabase.com. This site lists all MLS listings in the Mid-Atlantic and will have a far greater selection than Realtor.com, albeit not as pretty to look at. Good luck!

13. jbsmooth1

jbsmooth1 Karting

Jul 8, 2004
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Jon Bresler
    I am pretty versed in the Private school DC scene. I went to Landon for 10 years, and am a recent graduate. I will be honest, as I had some less than impressive experiences at Landon which made me think less than highly about it as a school. I wont go into things unless people really want to know...Anyways, I would recommend looking at St. Albans and Georgetown prep. But it also depends on where you end up living, and what kind of school you are looking for. If you want an athletic school- look at Landon, Prep, Gonzaga (but seriously, don't go to Gonzaga the kids there are dicks...but i guess the same could be said about Landon too, unfortunately), St. Albans, Dematha (if you are really athletic). If you are artsier or less sports-inclinated or what have you look at GDS, Sidwell Friends, Maret- those are typically regarded as the highest ranked schools in the area. If you want co-ed look at Bullis, St. Stephens/St. Agnes, Sidwell, GDS.

Any other questions concerning schools or whatnot, feel free to PM. me anytime

14. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    I went to St Peters And then moved to Potomac for HS. Gonzaga is a jock school and sucks. There is Sidwell Friends...

15. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Im more partial to Gprep and Gonzaga cause they are Jesuit and basically the same school im in now. But im not a jock, hmmmmmm.

16. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Two different schools

You really need to visit them...........

Interesting info, JBS...... What's up w/ Landon?

17. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    Hi: Tell them to use my web site....www.homesdatabase.com/bevorbob

It is a direct real time link into properties for sale or rent in the MLS in Northern Virginia. If the home shows up there then it is availble for rent or sale. It is updated automatically when an agent changes the status of a property in the MLS.

18. jbsmooth1

jbsmooth1 Karting

Jul 8, 2004
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Jon Bresler
    Where do I start...

Well, my family has been involved with Landon for over 15 years. My brother was a 10 year Landon student (the longest possible, as it starts in 3rd grade) and I was as well. Needless to say, much time and money was invested in the school, so take that into account as you read what I am saying.

I was a three sport varsity athlete- a football player, wrestler, and discus and shotput thrower in highschool, so don't think that i was some sort of outcast with no friends at a jock school. I certainly wasn't. However, the school had the worst double standards and the most blatant hypocracy- especially in the administration. My sophmore year of high school, a group of students cheated on the SAT's. 12 were suspended for 2 months, 2 were expelled. The two that were expelled were not "jocks" and were not coveted lacrosse players. However, the other 12 were. It was no mystery that added measure and BS excuses were put in place to keep those kids in when they should have clearly been expelled. It is just appauling that a school that prides itself on honor and integrity can act so heinously. But, this didn't really affect me. Now on to the real reason why I would say avoid Landon.

Last year I was a senior at Landon. The purpose of Landon is to get kids into good colleges. I am a Freshman at Emory University in Atlanta, GA and I love the school. However, the issues in the college counseling office last year were among the most rediculous and idiotic I have ever encountered. I will tell my story. My graduating class had about 75-80 kids. Over 25 of them committed to schools for athletics. That leaves around 50 students that the 2 college counselors needed to deal with. I applied early to The University of Pennsylvania, as well as rolling decision to the University of Michigan. I gave the appropriate forms to my counselor on the first day of school. She assured me they would be in on time. When I told her I had turned in my applications in early october, she said she was sending the stuff in that week. Come early November, kids who applied to Harvard found out that their applications were incomplete- they had not sent any transcripts. I immediately approached my counselor asking to check on my applications. I recieved a call later that afternoon from the counselor saying he had looked into my applications and everything was OK. I trusted him, unfortunately. A few weeks later, when I returned home from my trip on Thanksgiving, we had a card in the mail from Penn saying my application was incomplete. Needless to say, we were livid. My mother and father went to the house of my Upper school headmaster, demanding an explantation. When we finally got the home phone number of our college counselor, he had the nerve to say first and foremost to my mom "how did you get my home number." The pompousity and arrogance that is the administration at Landon is absurd. The college counselors denied any responsibility, saying that the appropriate schools lost the kids information. In the end, 27 kids did not have their transcripts sent. 27/75 is about 40%. The two college counselors are still on the staff, they were not reprimanded at all. I didn't even receive an apology. I didn't get into Penn or Michigan. I know no other place where you can do 60% of your EASY job and not get fired.

I know this sounds like a rant, because it is. However, clearly I feel very strong about what happend to myself and my friends. This is why I would say avoid Landon. It truly is a shame because Landon is a great school filled with excellent faculty and great sports. However, this incident, among others, has tarnished Landon in my eyes strong enough to dissuade me from telling people to send their kids there. Take my words as you will, and if anyone wants to know more about it, I have plenty to tell.

19. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Bishop Ireton............ at least now it's co-ed.............

20. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Also consider..... Bishop Denis J. O'Connell in Arlington... they were our rival back in the day..... lots of my friends went there..... in retrospect I probably should have too.....

21. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Also consider..... Bishop Denis J. O'Connell in Arlington... they were our rival back in the day..... lots of my friends went there..... in retrospect I probably should have too.....

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    So, do you think he should look at "Bishop Denis J. O'Connell in Arlington"?..... (third message a charm...lol)

Jon,

In every school there are trade offs. As I am sure you know, Walt Whitman H.S., down the street from Landon is a great public school. If you looked at the admission lists there you should see the top colleges represented. Private school isn't always a better solution. It is a shame how you and others were treated. I would continue to press the issue of accountability, if you have the time. I also witnessed and learned of strange behavior from the administration at Prep. They could make life hard or easy on the students depending on preferences.

It is very important that you take control of your education now and how teachers and administrators assist you. I understand how hard that is in high school.

You also bring up a good point for anyone looking into a new school. They should request information on college admission for the previous classes and how they will be assisted when they apply...... very good point.

Good luck at Emory.

One other note.......... You can always try and transfer to another college. Don't forget that... many students do...

23. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim

Nah.... I think they're all overrated.... especially GPrep.... :)
    I can send that two more time in case you didn't get the point.... :)

24. jbsmooth1

jbsmooth1 Karting

Jul 8, 2004
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Jon Bresler

I completely whole-heartedly agree with you. I have taken up the point, and for what its worth, I have spoken personally to a writer for Washingtonian magazine about a possible expose on DC area private schools and what your 20-odd thousand dollars a year actually gets you.

Oh, for whats its worth, I have an app in for wharton and stanford- I had a 3.925 and made dean's list while playing rugby 5 days a week at Emory. I certainly cannot gripe about how Landon prepared me for college, and there is a definite advantage between the public school and private school kids at Emory. Not to be cocky, because that is far from my point, but there is a definite disparity in my eyes between kids that came from public vs private schools. The amount of time needed for some kids to do trivial tasks is pitiful, and 9 times out of 10 those kids were public school kids. Obviously, this is not always the case, and its probably different at many schools, but these are just my observations. For what its worth- I would recommend private school, if your situation affords you the resources to do so. I know I am biased, but from my short experience in college, the difference is noticable.

25. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

I read that SAT story in the Washingtonian a while back. Pretty sad about the college apps. While I agree somewhat about public vs. private, I think some of the public schools in Bethesda/Potomac/McLean will give you a great education as well.