You asked for it........... | FerrariChat

You asked for it...........

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by CliffDonnon, Feb 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffDonnon

CliffDonnon Karting

Jan 28, 2006
    In reply to my first Ferrari.
    1973 model
    Red paint with black seats & red carpet
    18,000 miles
    Books & service papers (I am the third owner)
    Toot kit, jack & safety triangle
    Car had been in storage for approx. 20 years so 2nd owner had the engine, gearbox & diff. removed & freshened up (new seals & gaskets etc. along with anything else that needed doing) at a Ferrari workshop. Nine months & $40,000 Aust. later it runs like new.He travelled 3,000 miles in five years & then I purchased it. Has new Michelin tyres, but the spare is still the original.

Have lots of questions to ask so please bear with me as a beginner,

Cliff Donnon
    Australia

2. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    Thanks Cliffe,
    just as an aside did the guy you purchased it from have another as well?

Regards, John

3. CliffDonnon

CliffDonnon Karting

Jan 28, 2006
    right on the money!
    His name is David Corlette & he was selling it for a friend Tomoko Yamamoto ( sounds like a motor bike) said he is not a dealer, just helping an absent friend out.
    Do you know him or any history on the car ?
    I wish to remove the door panels to check inside the doors for corrosion etc.any tricks? Do I need a special tool to remove the door handle & window winder?

Thank you for any info.
    Cliff Donnon
    Adelaide

4. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    Nope know nothing.

I did see a Japanese gentleman driving around Sydney in a Left Hand Drive Dino in Sydney with NSW Reg two or three years ago near Macquarie St.

I was just curious.

Best regards, John

5. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    I meant to congratulate you too>

I would think you have bought very well indeed!!

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

No tricks. To remove the door panel, 1st remove the chrome plate under the inside door handle. Two screws, one is hiding under the handle, but if you lift the handle a bit you can get to it. DON'T LOSE THESE SCREWS.

Then remove the screws that hold the panel into place, there are seven or eight of them if I recall correctly.

Gently pry out the top of the door, there are two or three clips that press into the metal door frame, but they should pop out. Also, as you remove the panel, guide the door handle through the hole in the panel. If the panels are original, be gentle, they are not made of the studiest material, and time doesn't always treat them kindly.

Finally, lift the panel up towards the roof of the car, Straight up. There are two or three slide in clips that hold the bottom of the door into the door panel.

Watch as you remove the panel that you unplug the speaker, if you have one.

These guidelines are for doors with power windows. I've never removed a panel with a wind up window, but I have to assume the winder either unscrews, or has a clip holding it on.

To reinstall, simply revers the instructions.

As an aside, if others have power windows, now is a good time to service them, The little gearbox on the window motor is packed with greass. After 30 years or so, they get pretty gummed up. I've found that by removing the screws on the cover, even just loosening them, you can squirt a liberal amount of WD40 into the case, which will help to loosen them up.

If you are really brave, you can remove them ,clean them, repack them, and re-install them.

good luck!!!

DM