What should I do??? college related | FerrariChat

What should I do??? college related

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 0UTXLR8, Feb 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well I only have a year left when I get back from my co-op until I graduate with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. But I've realized how much I dislike the major, and I still haven't found something in it that I'm interested in. Right now I'm working for a company for a year doing machine design work. While it is not that difficult, I couldn't see myself doing it for a living. The full-time people work long ass hours, and don't get paid for overtime due to being salary. I do not want this lifestyle.

I have thought about becoming an optometrist, but I feel like I would've just wasted my last few years for nothing. Has anybody here gone into this field?

So should I stick thru engineering for one more year and then decide? I'm just afraid of getting stuck in a job that I will not like.

2. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    I would hate the idea that I 'wasted' some of my life on something I won't use.

I would hate it more if I WASTED the rest of my life doing something I hate doing.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    A year left? Get the degree, get a job doing whatever, and go back to school at night to learn about what you really want to do.

4. MrScarface

MrScarface Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 8, 2005
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Get a job in the field. Save money and use that money to do something you do like.

5. kaipodoggy

kaipodoggy Rookie

Jan 4, 2006
    south eastern AZ

Ditto!

Life's too short, it's not ALL about money. Go pick up a copy of "The Millionaire Next Door" ......best book on career and life advice I've ever read...

I myself got through two years of pre-engineering before I asked myself: "wtf? I hate this, why am i doing it?" Changed my career to something I was passionate about and i dont' live with any regrets over "lost time" sure, i couldn't even do any simple calculus right now, but then again I couldnt do any simple algebra from the 9th grade either ;) Nothing is a waste of time! If nothing else, you've learned how to learn, you'll apply that ability to the next thing you go into....

6. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

This is what I would do. You can do anything for few years, but have a exit plan.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My advice would be to finish engineering. If you want an MBA or Law degree afterwards, they are clamoring for hard science and engineering students. If you want to do something in medicine, you would just need a few more credits of the other sciences as prerequisites. Maybe you can even cram a few of those in this year.

8. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    There are many options in ME. You could become a consulting engr. and design bldg HVAC systems. Construction is an option.

9. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    So you can work at Pearle Vision Center or WalMart? The independent optometrist is almost extinct.

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Don't forget Costco!

Use your engineering to go into optics, develop a new glass eye that patches into the optic nerve with cameras and retire.

11. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Yeah I was also considering going for a Law degree afterwards. What is involved in getting into law school?

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The short answer is transcripts, LSAT, recommendations, an application essay, and ~$80 a school.

Long answer is here http://ryalex.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_ryalex_archive.html

13. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    ME is a great background that you can do a lot of different things with. Finish it up. Optometry is a waste of time IMO.

Once you graduate, look around for a job in the industry, see if there's something you like. Either work right away for a couple of years or go to grad school.

14. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    When you are in college it’s par for the course to crap on the money (making a living) issue. When you try existing on your own income you will be blinded by the light. Yep, your solid years in college give you a leg up in just about every career out there. Just do it.