Follow up on 430, 997TT, Z06 thread and 997TT specs from PCNA | FerrariChat

Follow up on 430, 997TT, Z06 thread and 997TT specs from PCNA

Discussion in '360/430' started by Doug H, Feb 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    Just received a Fed Ex from Porsche Cars North America with 997TT specs.

There was much discussion whether it would be quicker than Z06, 430, CGT and their was discussion about whether manual would be quicker or slower than tiptronic.

The tiptronic will be quicker in the 997TT and it will apparently be quicker than the CGT in tiptronic form.

480 hp, 460 torque, 505 torque with overboost and 0 - 60 in 3.7 for manual and 3.4 for tiptronic. 1.4 mile is 11.8 in manual and 11.6 in tiptronic. Scarey part is you can generally bet these factory numbers are on the conservative side.

I have rest of specs if anyelse interested.

I agree that the 430 is the more desireable car. The bar keeps being resett and one could speculate that the 997TT will be quicker in TTS and GT2.

It seems like Ferrari will eventually have to go forced induction if they want to keep pace in accelleration numbers. You think Ferrari will ever go forced induction on base model production cars or does Ferrari care if its V8 line is a little slower in accelleration as it can sell all the cars it produces anyway.

2. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

this is amazing. i think we are in the golden age for sports cars.

3. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Those are amazing numbers. The crazy thing is the 0-60 could be even lower after they introduce the PDK transmission(porsche's version of the DSG transmission) in a year or two.

4. Caghan

Caghan Karting

Jan 2, 2006
    Istanbul

The official video post on porsche web site

0-62: 3.9 manuel
    0-62: 3.7 tiptronic S ( That make me surprised very much improvement after 996 TT) Congrats
    both same v-max 193mph

5. GiB_@!

GiB_@! Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex
    how is tiptronic faster than manual ? How quick will the car be around the track? Why on earth would they make their supercar slower than a boring as **** 911 ?

hah.

6. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Say What ???

7. GiB_@!

GiB_@! Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex
    911 = boring.

8. motion

motion Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    At the track
    Full Name:
    Motion
    He's a student with a CS, cut him some slack, dude :)

9. HIGHROLLERM85

HIGHROLLERM85 Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It's geting to the point where extreamly fast cars are becoming common. Some people may like it but I think that makes them lose some of their appeal. Soon the 150k - 200k market segment will reach the limit of how fast it could go. There won't be any records to break at some point, and I wonder what will happen then as far as trends go. I think the Veyron is probably the last of the great record breaking supercars.

I just wonder what car fans will do once it is impossible to make cars go faster. Will there be a car that gets to 60 in 1.5 second? Only God knows.

10. deeroff

deeroff Karting
    BANNED

Jan 19, 2004
    In many cases, the ability - in the case of a turbo - for an automatic transmission to keep the revs and boost up (stall converter etc.) during shifts results in quicker acceleration.

11. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    The pamphlet they are sending to Porsche customers via Fed Ex (seem like those having bought new Turbos in the past are getting them) in the US cites:

0 - 60 3.7 manual
    0 - 60 3.4 tiptronic

50 - 75 3.8 manual
    50 - 75 3.5 tiptronic

1/4 mile 11.8 manual
    1/4 mile 11.6 tiptronic

The lower numbers may be attributable to over boost which apparently is available with the spot chrono option. I do not know if the overboost in sports mode is avaliable without the sports chrono option or whether the times above where applicable only to cars equiped with the sport chrono option. May be like the old X50 option. The base price is $ 122k.

A 3.7 factory spec would probably be a 3.6 or 3.5 if you follow Porsche history of citing figures. The area under the torque curve would have to be amazing if these numbers are truly possible given power and weight.

The tiptronic difference is probably gearing. Perhaps the 997TT is hitting 60 in first gear. The gears are too short on the 996TT manual anyway. You can barely shift fast enough in the manual to keep it out of the redline if you chip it.

12. rovingardener

rovingardener Karting

Aug 17, 2005
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    They're using a variable geometry turbocharger which can be electronically varied. That and electronically operated transmission which can be optimized to seriously improve performance yet again takes the weak link (the driver) more completely out of the loop. So any idiot can drive without the least bit of talent.

Again sucking the joy out of driving more fully.

13. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    I do not see the issue... If you don't like the automatic, get the manual... They are building both and will sell you what you want.

What is wrong with pushing the performance envelope as far as possible...? They found some more performance by optimizing the auto tranny. And they may find more with their DSG solution. They are pushing wherever they can and have come up with a car that can do 0-60 in 3.4, will handle great, and be a daily driver.

Don't like it? Buy the manual and do 0-60 in 3.7. Still amazing and will beat nearly every car on the road. Remember that Porsche is usually conservative with their performance estimates...

Astonishing performance. Still ugly as sin but you have to be impressed by what they have achieved. True supercar territory...

14. GiB_@!

GiB_@! Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex
    See I find that absurd. What have they achieved ? Larger / upgraded turbos in a slightly changed 911 shell. Coupled with a 4wd system that gives execllent grip and the 911's typical handling charateristics.. You could easily achieve the same performance from an upgraded 996TT. You could infact customise the body to resemble a 997 if you so desired. They havent done anything but slightly up the performance... and we all know you could unleash far far more power than 480bhp from the Turbo. Infact, just as we all know Ferrari could have released the 430 with well over 500bhp.

New, predictable and boring.

15. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    But we're not talking about tuning a 996 Turbo, we're talking about the 997 Turbo. And the package they've put together - performance, daily driveability, and rock solid stability at $122k is quite impressive.

and they didn't release the F430 with more than 500 cause that is knocking into the other categories, so do your comparisons based on what is out on the market, not what should have been or what you can make with aftermarket tuning

16. Clubsport78

Clubsport78 Formula 3

Sep 7, 2005
    D-Nbg
    Full Name:
    Marco A.
    It is impossible to determine it, since the CGT ABSOLUTELY has not a Tiptronic gearbox option.
    Only manual gearbox.
    And one of the best gearboxes, in my opinion.

17. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    I agree the tiptronic figure is strange ?? My experiences in the past with it have been poor (BORING), so performance aside, I wouldn't consider it.

Also since 997tt is AWD it is a great car to publish numbers with. You can launch it, go WOT, and not lose grip. Their supercar CGT is traction limited, so you can not drive it WOT until 80mph or more. CGT will beat the 997tt 0-100 by over a second (which is huge when you consider it makes up lost time and then gains it all in the short span from 70-100).

At the end of the day, for $120k the 997tt sounds like an impressive car. I think Porsche has a winner on their hands

18. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    Hanging with or pulling an Enzo for 1/8th the price is not that bad, predictable or boring. Running 7:40 flat at the Ring v. 7:56 for 996TT and 7:56 for Ferrari CS is not boring.

A Ruf RTurbo 996TT will set you back about $ 217k and is slower that factory specs of the 997TT.

I had an 01 TT with about 650 hp and an 03 TT with around 700 hp. This was very very expensive and these cars were still limited by gearing and grip and may not be any quicker than the 997TT despite having about $ 200k in each car.

Porsche improved factory specs from 4.1 to 3.4. That is actually a pretty large jump in this performance range. Isn't that a 20 percent decrease in accelleration time?

You have to admit a 3.4 0 - 60 is pretty incredible, especially for $ 122k. Who else is producing this kind of accelleration and for those that do, what is the cost of those cars. For get what the car looks like. I am not big on it either. How can you say a 7:40 and a 3.4 is boring.

19. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I wonder if the 3.4 secs for the Tip is actually with the new DSG transmission?

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    996tt tiptronics were "Tiptronic S",starting in 2001 model year.

21. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    I don' think they have DSG.

I think tiptronic S simply means the change buttons on the steering wheel. This was done a while back.

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    According to Car & Driver (latest issue w/ the 997TT on the cover), the DSG is being tested now, but won't be available at intro.

23. GiB_@!

GiB_@! Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I will admit the 0-62mph time is impressive. You must remember though that is all due to 4WD.. Surely everyone knows that. Think of any jap spec car.. WRX STI, EVO, GTR.. their times are fast, huge infact for their power output but thats only because of the launch.. 3.4 is great but its not like its difficult with huge power and 4WD. The time around the ring is 50/50.. I never trust Ring times, even though I am a huge fan of the track, testdrivers differ and times always differ. Ive heard one driver complete the Ring in a 430 around the 7.45 mark.. Im sure that the 997 Turbo will be a fantastic car.. but its so same old same old.

Its an opinion anyway.. and it seems that on this forum unless you write "IMO" in giant ****off letters.. nobody understands that.

24. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    I believe the Porsche version is PDK. There was much speculation that it would be available on the 997TT and many were dissapointed when it was not in the order guide seen a few months ago.

The times in my brochure specifically mention "manual" and "tiptronic S" and there is no mention of pdk in this brochure. I would think a pdk would be quicker with no power robbing torque converter, lighter and quicker shifts.

pdk will perhaps be seen on the 997TTS or GT2. Porsche always does goofy things like that after ayear or so to get people to trade up.

Someone mentioned the torque curve being 460 pounds at around 1,700 RPMs and 505 at 2,100 RPMS with over boost. That would make for some fast accelleration.

25. Caghan

Caghan Karting

Jan 2, 2006
    Istanbul
    except everythin i really wonder 50-150mph and 50-170mph rather than 0-60time.