Follow up on 430, 997TT, Z06 thread and 997TT specs from PCNA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Follow up on 430, 997TT, Z06 thread and 997TT specs from PCNA

Discussion in '360/430' started by Doug H, Feb 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You're probably right as that was much what I originally expected (i.e. intro in 1-2 years as an S or GT2). I was just surprised at how much faster the Tip S times are that are being quoted (faster in all of 0-60, 50-75 and 1/4 mile) and searching for some explanation. Another consideration is that the PDK will need to be faster yet to justify itself over the Tip S and the latest awesome times would have to get even more awesome!

2. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    The GT2 was quicker than a 996TT, but it was also handful to drive. AWD is heavy and could actually rob a little bit of power. It is a safety net and nice to have on these cars for around town driving. I, however, think that 505 pounds of torque at 2,100 RPMs or thereabouts could be partially accreditted for a 3.4 second 0 - 60. Who knows, if there is a 997 GT2 with 2 WD, it may even be faster.

The Porsche turbo fits a nice niche and so does Ferrari. The Porsche may never garner the attention of the Italians. They, however, have raised the bar with this car and undoubtedly this will drive Ferrari and Lamorghini to do better things. This is great news for the consumer.

Back to the original question, do you guys think Ferrari will ever go forced induction or do they have to keep pace.

3. GiB_@!

GiB_@! Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I doubt they will ever go forced induction. They really dont need too. If they wanted more performance out of any of their production cars it would be possible without turbocharging. It just isnt needed. NA power all the way.

4. red360CS

red360CS Karting

Sep 30, 2005
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason
    you can say that about any new car.

5. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    I agree. I would venture to imagine that a very low percentage of people that post or even own these cars can drive them at 8/10 or 9/10s.

Porsche Turbos used to be very difficult to drive. I have spun one on a track about 10 years ago and I spun one on a wet highway three years ago. In turns, people nail the accellerator, the lag sets in, people hit harder and then wham, that heavy rear engine tail heavy car snaps more so than any other car. The TT AWD helps took the snap from lag out of the equation, though it is still very possible. I can drift my TT and I have snapped it on purpose playing around. One should not kid themself, any car with that much power and torque is capable of being a handful, especially with the engine in the rear. Electronics are a safety net, but I think they actually allow us to enjoy them more as the margin of error is increased. This is not necessarily a bad thing with the power and performance of the cars being made these days.

Doesn't the F1 math revs. The only difference I see between F1 and tiptronic is that the F1 is better for the track because it does not have a torque converter, is lighter and shift even quicker.

6. napoleon

napoleon Karting

Dec 23, 2005
    SORRY CAN ANY ONE BELIEVE THAT A TIPTRONIC S IS FASTER THAN A F1 430??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

AND IF SO IS THE DSG SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER?????????????????????

AND IF SO, HOW MUCH?

MAYBE 3.1 FROM O-60 MILES, THE SAME DIFFERENCE "SUPPOSED" FROM THE MANUAL TO THE TIP-S?????????????????????????????????????????????????

AS I SAID BEFORE IN THE "NO MODEL SPECIFIC THREAD" in my experience porsche is quite conservative in the acceleration mesaurements but maybe not so much in the ones with tip-s gear box.

MAYBE TIP-S IS THAT GOOD, but till now it has been a really "average" automatic gearbox.

Cu all

7. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Do you have any further, valid information about that? Would be very interesting, especially after all the discussions the F430 had go through after the infamous Sportauto test.