599GTB with F40 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

599GTB with F40

Discussion in '612/599' started by blackwood, Feb 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #76 ferraridriver, Feb 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, of course. These are two of the four sensors.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Really ??? The F40 is still that fast ??

4. nejcdolinsek

nejcdolinsek Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    OK, I'm going to go out on a limb right now, and I expect to be mashed BIG TIME, but....... In my HUMBLE opinion, the F40 is a relic (styling wise) of the 80s. It never appealed to me because of its lack of curves (especially the rear... lets be honest, it looks like a rectangle), and also maybe because I just don't like the 80s (music included) ;)

I think I know why Ferrari chose to pit the 599 against the F40 for this commercial: the 599 is the symbol of progress in both the styling, performance and technological sense. What made the F40 a benchmark in the 80s in performance motoring is what led to the modern interpretation of what the best-of-the-best should be. And it all culminated to this car: the 599.

Just like the F40 is a classic legend, the 599 GTB Fiorano will be a modern legend.

5. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    not sure I like the challenge wheels on this car.

6. nejcdolinsek

nejcdolinsek Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    They're probably the kind of people that would confuse a Ferrari with a Mustang because they both share a horse on the front grille....

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Can someone explain how an F40 is going to blow away the 599? Is that real, or just made up?

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Thank you Marcel - confirms what I believe.

Mike: 2700 lbs, 480 bhp / 420 ftlb in stock form (many cars are pushing 560/500 w/o much work). Handling characteristics can't be touched. It's apples and battleships. This is going ot be a great car, but if you're expecting it to be worlds different than the 575, you've got to alter your expectations a bit.

BTW - in the reverse sensors picture, you can see all four.

--Dan

9. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I was actually asked this question while in my former Maranello by an older guy in some sort of Infiniti... "Hey uh, is dat da new Mustang?" His wife actually smacked him beside the head while the gentleman in the back placed his hands over his face puzzled. Today I could care less but stilll think it was impressive that the wife knew.

Well I agree that the F40 ( a true supercar, ) is a terrible visual comparison, I actually like the new GT. Compare it to the awkward views of the rear third of the SuperAmerica, I think it looks just fine whereas the flippy convertible ruined what was a very classic and smooth design visually.

They are good pics Marc and Nej, thank you.

RocketBoy

10. nejcdolinsek

nejcdolinsek Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    That must be a worse insult than insulting one's mother ;)

11. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Ok I can understand how in some situations the F40 will outperform the 599 in the handling department, say a tight track like we had in vegas. But I've driven the valley of fire road, and I would think the F40 would be bottoming out all over the place. I was Ok in the 575 when some of the 360s were scraping big time. Now on the road to vegas where there was open space, where handling is less of an issue, would not the F40 be seriously left in the dust by the 599? Which takes me back to my original question, on the valley of fire road, would the F40 really blow away the 599 as was stated, or was someone just making that up??

12. nejcdolinsek

nejcdolinsek Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    Well, whatever that guy said was completely subjective in nature, because he had no substantive proof that the F40 was in fact faster. It just "seemed to him" that the F40 wasn't even trying. If you ask me, thats BS. Ferrari wouldn't be pitting the 599 against the F40 unless they had something to prove.

13. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    That first pic made me fall in love with the 599.

J

14. pbferrari

pbferrari Karting

Dec 22, 2005
    denton texas
    Full Name:
    drew
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only two taillights they should be thrown in jail for that

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mike - on most usable roads, I'd say the F40 has a leg up. Few roads are SO bad that the scraping on a 599 (or 550/575) is going to be worse than an F40. The F40 has a lot less suspension travel, and a few have adjustable suspension to boot.

The question comes down to driver. But, par for par, I'm inclined to say that an F40 is still king.

--Dan

16. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    look at the photoshop i posted....

17. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Wow, I'm starting to like the 599 more & more.

18. janus

janus Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Croatia
    Full Name:
    Janko
    I'm starting to like it also.

BTW Did any one notice the difference in exhaust pipes?
    The inner two look like they work, but the outter ones look like dummies - unused :D WHAT GIVES?

19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I'm withholding judgement on the 599 until I see one live. Also colors can make a big difference. I've seen a 612 in grigio alloy that is absolutely stunning, while I'm not a 612 fan in a lot of other colors. But...

God I love the F40

20. blackenzo

blackenzo Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Peter C
    nice pics.. i wanna see a 599GTB in black

21. nejcdolinsek

nejcdolinsek Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    The outer pipes have the butterfly valves that open in race mode/at higher RPMs for greater acoustic glory!

22. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    Jeez. I never said it would not sell. I also did not say it looked like a Porsche. I just did not understand why they were going with the humps on the fenders which is like a 911. The front ends of 355s, 360s, F40, 328s, F50, and just about any Ferrari looks better to me than a 911, 599, or 612.

If you like the humps and the lights on a 599, great. It is all very subjective and there is no right or wrong answer. The curves on older Ferraris are elegant compared to the ebrupt and busy design on the 599.

I love the 360, F430 and Enzo design so much so that I have a CS. The Enzo and Pagani Zonda are my favorite cars. I would have a 612 if I liked the way it looks as I desparetly need something with a bigger back seat than what I currently have. I have seen the 612 in the flesh and driven one. I do not like the front end.

There are very instances of where I have viewed sports cars of comparable calibre with apathy. A car of this calibre should evoke more intrique from a wider array of individuals, as opposed to a luke warm reception.

23. janus

janus Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Croatia
    Full Name:
    Janko

THX for the info, I knew it had to be some reasonable explanation :D

24. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is there some way of turning them off when you are towing a trailer? :)

25. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The old photos, especially the yellow car in Fiorano, make the 599 look somewhat like a Z06. These new photos shows that it's not the case at all.

Looking forward to it's debut here in the Pacific NW.

Any one want to guess when they'll roll out a 599GTS? :)