365 GT4 2+2 Exhaust Question | FerrariChat

365 GT4 2+2 Exhaust Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mikey365, Feb 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikey365

Mikey365 Rookie

Jun 26, 2005
    I am going to replace the exhaust system on my 1974 365 GT4 2+2. I have seen reference to a 3 pipe configuration that comes out of each muffler at the back of the car. The source documents that this was one of the distinctive features of the car, along with the 3 tail lights on each side of the rear panel. However, Ansa, Larini, and others only show 2 pipes coming out of the muffler at the back of the car.

The question is, which is correct...2 or 3 pipes exiting at the rear of each muffler?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mikey

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mikey

I checked a bunch of books, including Prunet, Nowak, Schlegelmilch, Fitzgerald, Merritt & Thompson, Bluemel "Original V-12", David Owen's "Ferrari 4 Seaters" and the Automobilia 412 book and have concluded that the correct setup is twin pipes on each side.

Three of the books have pictures of a 365GT4 2+2 rear end (Bluemel, Owen and Fitzgerald, Merritt & Thompson) and all show two twin pipes. Bluemel goes to some length to describe that virtually all of the mechanical features of the 4 seater are the same as the 365GTC/4, except for the wheelbase, and describes the exhaust system as "similar in layout to that of the 365GTC/4, although longer due to the increased wheelbase, with flanged manifold front connections to twin silencers and push-fit connections to the tailpipe assembly, which incorporates a further small silencer. Heat shields are fitted above and to the rear of the manifolds, with a pair of shields above each twin silencer assembly under the cabin."

The most conclusive evidence, however, is the photo in the Fitzgerald book, which shows the debut of the 365GT4 2+2 at the Paris auto show. Since it is a rear three quarter view, the two twin exhaust pipes can be clearly seen.

John

3. Watry

Watry Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Watry
    I don't know that I've ever seen a classic-era Ferrari with three-tip exhausts. Sounds kinda bling.

Andrew Watry

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Feb 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017