SC Mechanic Wanted | FerrariChat

SC Mechanic Wanted

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Anyone know of a reliable mechanic in SC? I understand there is one in Greenville (Gunter I think?).

I hate the thought of going to Greensboro or Atlanta. I had the clutch and flywheel chenged in my car by Tommy Parsons at Jaguare/Porche.

I have also had work done in Charleston with Mixed results. Any suggestions?

I also know someone in Spartanburg used a Mechanic in the Greer area with bad results, ie has had the car for weeks and weeks, a familiar stroy. I want to advoid such problems.

Thanks

2. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Have you tried Karl Troy at European Road and Racing here in Charleston?

3. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Honest, thorough, knowledgable, informative...

Yes, I'm talking about a mechanic. When I moved to Charleston, I thought I would never find a mechanic like Tim Stanford in Ft. Lauterdale. I trusted, genuinely trusted, Tim with my 308. Now what? Do I send the car back to Tim every time I need service, or take it to Ferrari of Atlanta? Charles Perry recommended Karl Troy, European Road & Racing...and if Charles says he's ok, then he's ok. Wade Nunez corroborated Charles' opinion that Karl is the goto guy. Well, I needed the 30k service done, and I can't do it myself...so I called Karl. I immediately liked Karl, because he likes to talk cars...he didn't treat me like just another guy with a car, but like a friend (and I hadn't met him yet).

When I brought him my 308, we talked some more about Ferraris, Porsches and cars in general. I liked that he didn't just blow me off, take the keys and say "I'll call you when it's done $$$$". He was very accomodating when I brought him the 308, and seemed genuinely interested in my car...it wasn't just another piece of metal to him.

He kept me informed on what he was doing, what needed repair and what didn't..instead of replacing everything and charging me, he thoroughly inspected the car and advised my as to his opinions and let me make the decisions. I may not know cars, but I know my wallet!! Other Ferrari mechanics I have dealt with called me when the "job" was done, charged me a fortune, didn't actually fix all the issues, and refused to take my calls when I complained (RC in FL). Not Karl, he actually asked me!! And if I didn't understand what the heck he was talking about (car needs oil? who knew...just kidding), he would take the time to educate me....now I'm not the smartest guy in the world, so that takes time.

My 308 has had a small oil leak since I bought her in 1999...3 mechanics "fixed" it...NOT!!!. When Tim Stanford first worked on my car, he was honest and told me to wait until the 30k service, so as not to repeat work that was recently done by another mechanic and waste money since the leak wasn't that bad. So I waited. Karl found the leak..."fixed" it...no REALLY..he FIXED it!!!! My 308 no longer needs a daiper.

I told Karl many times about my fondness for Tim Stanford and what a fantastic mechanic Tim is. When I picked up my car and told Karl that he reminds me of Tim, he said, "Maybe you found the Charleston version of Tim Stanford". Well, maybe Tim Stanford is the Karl Troy of Ft. Lauderdale...if I lived between Charleston and Ft. Lauderdale, I would have to flip a coin to decide who to go to. Tim and Karl are just "THAT GOOD!!"

Karl is a true EXPERT...he is without a doubt, the goto guy in Charleston and beyond. Do not be afraid to ship your car to Karl...he's worth it.

Honest, thorough, knowledgable, informative...and then some.

Thanks Karl.

4. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    Sometimes there is a lot of bull sh*t on this board, but it's posts like this that make it all work sorting through.

Gill, thanks a ton for your well-thought-out and detailed post. This is the kind of information that many members of the F-chat board can benefit from.

5. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Brian, I agree. Sometimes I read the boards and wonder where some of these people get their ideas...and I start to respond and then say "why am I wasting my time?" But all in all, this is a fantastic place to get info. I have learned a lot and received some great advice...and as a result made some wonderful friends.

I would never have learned about Karl if not for FChat. And even if I saw a yellow pages add that lists Ferraris as one of the cars he works on, I would have my doubts. Word of mouth is the best advertising when it comes to things like this, and when someone you trust recommends a shop, that's all you need.

I know you don't know me, but my 308 is my dream car...I never plan to part with her. As such, it is very important to me to put her in the hands of someone I trust...Karl has earned that trust.

(DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A PAID ADVERTISEMENT)

6. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    That's cool. I have a similar opinion of a mechanic in the Winston Salem area named Tom Jones (at Sport Auto). It's a bit of a haul taking the F car up there, but definitely worth it.

If you're ever in the Charlotte area with your hot rod, let me know. We have a great group of Ferrari maniacs here, and we love "stretching their legs" on occasion. There are a few of us that can usually get together at the last minute for a lunch/fun-run.

Brian

7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks Brian...I would like to come up that way. I'm new to the South and spent most of my time since August in south Georgia...so I'm just getting used to Charleston. Just got the 30k service done, so I think she can take a trip to NC...

Likewise, Brian, if you're ever in the Charleston area, let us know...there may not be as many of us down here, but we compensate well :)

Gil

8. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I can attest to the group in Charleston. We threw a haphazard lunch together and had a great time. Gil, I still have to catch up with you sometime. The move in didn't work out, so next time I am down there, I'll definately give you a ring.

In regards to Karl, I've never heard less than 100% satisfaction with his work.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    He is a beautiful man.

10. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    Thanks, David. I appreciate the compliment. Most of the ladies tend to agree!

11. iufan993

iufan993 Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I'll just join the lovefest by giving kudos to Karl. He communicates better than any mechanic who has worked on my cars, and usually with exotics he does all of the work himself.

12. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Hi Gil and friends. I just returned from my first 944 Supercup race of the season and found out about this post from Brad Steel when he dropped his Maserati off this evening.
    It is posts like these that make all the headaches of owning a shop (or any business for that matter) disappear.
    Where would I be without the wonderful support of clients and friends on this forum. I would not be as successful, I am sure.
    Thanks again for the continued support and kind words that help my business grow.

Best Regards.

Karl Troy
    www.europeanroadandracing.com

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Well, I supose you did not win? Tell us about the race.

14. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    I am very happy with the results. This was my first time at VIR.
    I spent all day friday getting my competition license and (to my surprise) got it.
    Since there was no time on friday to do any work on my car and we had just done a practicerace friday afternoon, I decided to skip saturday morning practice so I can make sure my car was ready for qualifying and nothing was falling off.
    Qualifying was set for 2:00 pm. At 11:00 AM it started snowing with no end in sight. The schedule was changed and it was decided to drop qualifying and use the morning's practicetimes for the grid positions.
    Lesson learned. Don't miss any sessions for any reason.
    I started last. It was 38 degrees, snowing and my streettires I used for rains didn't do much.
    It was kind of a blessing that I was in the back because as soon as the green flag dropped, cars started flying of the track left and right. There were about 50 cars on track and about 19 in my group. I managed to finish 3rd in class.
    First race, podium finish. I was very pleased, especially since I really only wanted to survive.
    Sunday was 19 degrees when we left the hotel. Again we were gridded like the first time but they decided to move me ahead of some of the slower cars for safety reasons. The 944 Turbos in my class loved the weather. It gave them an instant additional 30+ hp. I held them off in the corners but on the straights they left me like I was chained to the track. I was in first a couple of times but couldn't hold on to it. I had to be satisfied with a 4th this time as the fastest non turbo 944. In 3rd just ahead of me the 2004 and 2005 Champion.
    These races were part of the Mid Atlantic region. I used the events to get some practice races under my belt before it really mattered. I will be competing in the Southeastern Region. My first points paying race will be Road Atlanta next month. I hope things will go at least as well there.

Karl

15. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Good to hear from you Karl. Is your Ultima finished? Where did you get insurance for it? Just got off the phone with Hagerty and they will not cover me during track days so I'm in the market for insurance again.

Ken

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hell of a job man! Jolley good show! We always knew you had natural talent. Who knows where it may take you. Grand AM? ALMS, maybe the first Austrian NASCAR driver?! Talk to Rob on this chat, he just did GrandAM, and placed well.

17. cosmosblk

cosmosblk Rookie

May 2, 2005
    Summerfield
    Full Name:
    Ken Wood
    I think there are some pictures posted on www.fandsenterprises.com I'm sure VIR is scary in the snow. Great job just keeping the car in one piece.

And Yes Eddie, I'll say it before you do, I should know!!

18. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Ken, I have not put it on the road yet, still working on it. I just can't find joy in working on my own **** anymore. I have been working on cars for 26 years and I guess it's not a hobby anymore.
    I have not tried insurance yet but hope to find out soon.

Karl

19. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Cool site, thanks. My car is the silver 944 #69.

Karl

20. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    there was a real good mechanic in Gaffney, SC, by the name of Ed Gault. He used to post on this chat quite often. He was good...very opinionated and headstrong...but very good. The last time he worked on my red daytona, he fixed several items quite professionally...but complained about the time the car sat in his shop, which was limited in space.. while he waited for parts. He also worked on my Boxer and did a great job. I certainly would take my cars back to him, because he is a good and professional mechanic..he never orcharged for anything he did...but he told me the last time he would never work on a Ferrari again. What a loss.

He used to own a 308 which he sold...and felt the corvette was a superior car to a Ferrari. But that is another story in itself..I am sure you can do a search on some of his posts in the old FerrariChat room.

Other than this man, several others tried to do simple jobs on my cars...but I simply would not let those people ever touch my cars again. I would ship my cars to FoA...i tried others in Atlanta, but these guys do seem to care as much as anyone, though they are a bit far away from me and a bit expensive.

21. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Then without question, Karl is the guy for you. You're in SC, you have Ferraris, he is closer than FoA...and I am certain more reasonably priced, easier to get to than FoA...no question about it...go to Karl.

22. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Charleston is four hours away from where I live on the northwestern part of the state...Atlanta is only 2...much closer...I have spoken with Karl and he sounds very concerned and professional. I wish he was closer.

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Happen to be in Charleston this week and dropped by to see Karl at his shop. What a great guy! I have spoken to Karl on the phone in the past, a couple years ago, when I was having a "hot start" problem with my previous 1987 328GTS...and he assisted with an "over the phone" diagnosis (while having dinner with his family at a restaurant!)...embarrassed, I told him I would call back, and he insisted on having me describe in detail the problem, and what had been previously done to the car...then recommended I call him in the morning and he would send me the needed parts. Super nice, professional through and through....and truly a "car guy", that loves to talk cars and racing!

Got to see the shop and oogle over the Ultima he is building...what a beast that will be...simply amazing. Anyway, you guys are mighty lucky to have a great guy like Karl in your area!

Thanks again for the visit Karl!

Dave

24. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Dave, it was nice to finally meet you also after having talked to you for years on the phone. It is funny how you never know what to expect when you meet some one for the first time. I guess you have an idea of what they look like and bam all your expectations are blown out of the water. I guess you thought I would be this sexy and cool guy. Sorry to disappoint you.haha.
    Anyway, it was nice to meet you and I wish you an enjoyable stay in Charleston.

'til next time

Karl

25. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    There he goes again....hitting on the customers. That really cost extra.