328: Horn stopped beeping: | FerrariChat

328: Horn stopped beeping:

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gatorrari, Feb 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's an odd one: when I press the horn button, I get a whirring sound (almost sounding like an old klaxon horn) but not the familiar Italian beep.

One opinion is that the pump is weak and may need replacing, or at least lubricating. I'm not familiar with how this horn works, so some opinions are welcome. Also, I wonder if this might be a cold-weather phenomenon only.

2. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I tried cleaning the compressor in mine to no avail... Same problem you described. Found that Pep-Boys had some air-horns (w/motor). Cost me about $29 to replace the compressor - it's not "ferrari" but it works the same and is less expensive! Then I just pitched the horns that came with the new motor. Probably would sound like a KIA !!

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    The only way to know is to remove the wheel & wheelhouse and check it out. Sometimes the plastic hose going from compressor to horn gets kinked, cracked or disconnected and will not pass air. If you actually hear the whirring sound then your compressor may be okay.

4. BlakeChow

BlakeChow Rookie

Jul 16, 2005
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Blake Chow
    Jim

I had the exact same problem with my 308. All I heard was a whirring sound. I took the compressor apart and lubricated the air vanes with some light weight oil. They need to be oiled periodically.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The air horn copressor needs a few drops of light (like 3-in-1, or air tool oil) every year.

Search the old Fchat archives for 'horn' 'compressor' & things like 'service' or 'lubrication', I posted an air horn compressor service procedure several years ago.

Most important thing is to make sure the little fiber vanes are both clean, & go back in the exact slot & orientation they came out of. The vane edges have wear patterns that match the cylinder they're running in. If you get just a couple of them switched around, they won't seal & you'll wonder why your service killed the compressor. :)

It's pretty easy to do. You'll be amazed how loud your horns are afterwards!

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    If it's the Fiamm (whatever) horn, you need to lubricate it once a year or so, especially if you don't use it. I have the same horn (as the 308) and if I don't use it every now and then the same thing happens.

Ken

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Before you spend any money, try depressing and holding the button down. Mine if it's not used a lot will slowly start working after you do this. It's like it needs to build up pressure or something.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, folks, it all seems to have been a false alarm. When I went to start the car (after 2 weeks of inactivity, during which it had some repairs done that, at times, had the ignition on), the battery had wound down. There was enough to operate the lights and radio, but not enough oomph to start the engine, or, as it appears, operate the horn!

Once I had the car jump-started and let it idle to charge up the system, I realized I ought to try the horn again, and this time it worked perfectly!

Thanks for the tips, and I'll keep this thread in mind if I ever have a similar problem that has nothing to do with a dead battery.

9. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I oiled mine yesterday after discovering the compressor oil cap whist changing the thermo switch on the radiator.

Does the oil normally leak on out as it is filled?

I put in maybe a few CC's, figuring it would fill up to the opening, all it did was run through and make a mess on the bottom of the valance panel.

It does sound better, now, or at least louder, the horn tone is a little ghey for my taste.

Doug

10. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I just oiled my compressor, which made a good difference in speed of response and volume. My sense was that it only took a small amount of oil, not Cc's, since you're just lubricating the sleeve bearing at the bottom--the motor is below the actual housing.

I used a large syringe to squirt it into the air intake while my son held the horn button down. Worked great, no leaks. I used MArvel Mystery Oil, which someone suggested on a previous thread.