Moving to Austin next month, help me plan! | FerrariChat

Moving to Austin next month, help me plan!

Discussion in 'Texas' started by hdpt00, Feb 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Well I'm moving to the Arbortum area March 9th, very excited.

I am driving from Scottsdale, Az and want to make the trip in 2 days, would prefer to do the majority the first day so I can buy stuff for my place the second day. The only problem is where the hell do I stop for the one night? It seems like El Paso is the only thing on the way and if I stop in San Angelo, I'm away from major roads.

Can someone please recommend a good city to stop, one where it is safe and los of hotels and restaurants, etc.?

Thanks!

2. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    If you stop in San Angelo, you aren't away from major roads, you will just be off of I10. San Angelo is the way to go. Just take 87 out of San Angelo until you get to Brady and the tale Hwy 71 all the way to Austin. One you get into the lake area around Austin, you'll pass through the major intersection of 620 & 71 and then you should turn left at the next light which is FM 2244. There should be a Jack Brown Cleaners on the corner of FM 2244. Take that road until you hit HWY 360(Capital of Texas HWY). Take a left and then start looking for the Arboretum area on the left.

I've never been to San Angelo, but the drive from Llano to Austin is one of my favorite Hill Country drives. I would much rather drive through the Hill Country than take the interstate highways.

3. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    My friend used to live in San Angelo, so I'll ask him tonight if there are any nice convenient hotels there. I don't really think there is any crime there. If you have never been to Texas, you'll be amazed at how friendly everyone in the small towns are.

4. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks for the help Mike!

5. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #5 TexasMike, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do you have Google Earth? If not, download it for free. It's a great tool and it would really help you out.
    I just pulled up San Angelo and there are shortage of hotels or restaurants. You can get all the contact info off of Google Earth.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #6 TexasMike, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a map that shows Austin from the direction you'll be entering. Like I said, 71 to 2244 and then to 360.
    The Arboretum area is the yellow circle.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. MrScarface

MrScarface Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 8, 2005
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Any way you go, you will have not problem finding a place to stay, eat or get gas. I don't know if you're going to be taking I-10 or I-20 through Texas, but all those little towns you might pass though either way (Odessa, Big Spring, Midland, Pecos, Alpine, Sanderson, Uvalde, Monahans, Alpine, Van Horn) will all have food, gas, lodging. I know on I-10 there's tons of billboards on the side of the road advertising "Best Western 20 miles", etc the whole way.

I drove from Los Angeles to Houston a few years ago, stopped in Tuscon for the night. Never had a problem. Only thing I remember is if you take I-10, gas up often in west Texas, and if you see a scorpion in the dirt at a rest stop.....DON'T PLAY WITH IT! :)

8. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I've already been stung by one here in Scottsdale, not fun.

9. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I'm thinking San Angelo may be too far of a drive for one say. Is Fort Stockton an ok place to stop for the night or maybe even Sonora, although that i spushing the distance.

I'm looking to only do 10 hours of so driving per day, and Fort Stockton seems like it may be a good place for the night, any opinions please?

10. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Are you bringing a uhaul with you?

Fort Stockton, NO!! Its just a little crappy town.

11. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Got to me too late, I'm staying there. Seems like the only place around for the distance I'm looking to go the first day. 650 or so miles the first day, 350 the next, shouldn't be too bad.

12. Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Elroy, TX
    There's nothing to do in Fort Stockton, other than look at posters for the Big Bend Open Road Race. :)

13. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I only plan on being in Ft. Stockton for < 10 hours. 2 hours to eat dinner, breakfeast, shower and 8 hours to sleep. Sounds like a good place to stop as I won't be distracted.

Looking forwar to moving, very excited to be in Austin, loved it there! See ya'll soon.

14. greekss

greekss Rookie

Jan 9, 2006
    San Fran.
    Full Name:
    Constantino A.
    Glad to hear your moving...

let know how you end up liking austin,because as of now its a toss up for me between houston or austin...

the weather in houston seems to be the biggest turn-off for me, where as austin seems a wee bit more pricey.

15. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    If you want smog, crime and traffic, then move to Houston. If you don't, then move to Austin.

16. 4PDC

4PDC Karting

Oct 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Grayson
    Ha, that sums it up well.
    Austin can be pricey-if you chose to live in certain areas. Pick other areas, and you can get a great house for pretty average prices.

Just noticed that your coming from San Fran-and your worried about cost!!! Austin is light years cheaper than San Fran :D

17. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Yah Austin was cheap compard to where I've lived. Well, downtown was a bit pricey, specially when it's $400/sq. ft. and then $500/month homeowners fees for 1,000 sq. ft. (that was in the 555 at the Hilton). I decided to move to the Arboretum area, where it was only like $160 sq. ft. Those are condo prices though. I looked at some houses near Lakeway and down south for the hell of it and everything was very reasonable, especially down south a bit (although not much going on).

On a side, do you need tickets to SXSW or what's the deal? I rrive that week and want to check it out of course!

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes I do, and I'll gladly take you up on the offer. Thank you.

Actually... yes, you need tickets for the majority of the stuff. My band does not have a showcase that week, but we'll be playing Thursday and Friday at a few parties during SXSW.

19. 4PDC

4PDC Karting

Oct 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Grayson
    555 is a nice building, but as you said, fairly pricey. I just bought down south-hoping that in five to ten years, Austin will have grown enough that my investment will pay off.

Did you buy in the complex that is directly across from the arboretum-9525 at the loop (if I remeber correctly)?

20. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Welcome to Texas. If you haven't already bought I think you could get a lot more for a lot less. If you have, you are in a great location and it will probably appreciate.

21. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Actually I had a contract waiting to go on 9525, but I walked out. Let's see why, um, litigation b/c the building had tons of mold damage, so they had to redo it entirely. I found this myself because in the contract all they said was that there was litigation, wouldn't say what they fixed. All they said is that it was fixed, but wouldn't prove it, or even say what was fixed. 5 year old building that already had to be totally redone, a but too risky for me.

Ran away from tha deal, but got a nice condo off of Spicewood Springs. And best of all, no litigation!

22. 4PDC

4PDC Karting

Oct 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Grayson
    I was hoping that that was the case. I too looked into buying a condo over there-but was likewise scared off because of the mold. I can;t believe that they are pretty much all sold out now-even with all of the mold issues.

23. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    No ****. I was looking for a young area and this seemed like a good place. Looks like it is young b/c the people aren't that experienced. Luckily my dad has done a lot of RE deals and was able to look over the contract for me.