Dino Restoration | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Feb 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I've been lurking around here for awhile. I live in sunny San Diego. I have a Silverstone 430 6speed spider and a Stradale. I recently bought Dino #7836
    A 74 with 21,000 miles. A good clean, straight car. I am going to attempt something I've never done but always wanted to. I have an 18 year old son at a critical age who I want to keep close. I bought the car for me and him to restore. I want to take off as much is feasible to rechrome, powder coat etc etc etc. interior, painting. We then want to reassemble it. I got the few Dino books that are out there. I've installed a bendpak lift in my garage, got a bead blaster compressor and a full set of beta tools in Ferrari roller cabinets. We started last week. Even though I'm not into showing I want to make everything like it came from the factory. How far should I go in stripping the car. Any suggestion will be helpful, I will post pictures as soon as my son shows me how. I'm in no hurry and know I will have a lot more money into it than it's worth. It's a labor of love. I've loved those cars ever since my college roomate got one in 1973. A gt in Dino metallic. I plan on getting a gt also sometime when the right car comes along and paint it Dino blue metallic

2. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Omgjon, good luck it is quite the adventure. It will require skill, alot learned on the job, alot of handy tips provided by your Ferrari chat buddy's and the fortitude to carry it to the end. You and your son should have a great time together.

3. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Wow, don't mean to imply you can't do it or discourage you but have done something like this before ?

A Dino is quite a car to be doing this for the first time on, unless its just minor removal and painting/cleaning/chroming/etc. of minor stuff, you are talking a lot of work.

It would take both hands to count the number of cars I have purchased because the "son lost interest" and I purchased the car in bits.

If you are talking about a "refresh" rather than a "restoration" then go for it, you will LOVE the end-result. A restoration of a Dino is not something a novice should attempt, not because it can't be done but because statistically I have read many times that in the majority of cases the person finishing a restoration is not the one who started it ( I stand in the exception side of that field, having several frame up resto's to my name ).

Having said all that, go for it, tons of people here will help.

4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Thanks for the encouragement?? I'm not the type to abandon a project. I've been taking photos of each piece taken off, bagging and labeling as I go. I am mechanically inclined. I expect it to be difficult and I may need help and advice in lots of areas, but a good percentage I know I can do.

5. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Well you are already off to a better start than most, take pictures ! I have taken thousands of pictures of my cars during dissassembly and reassembly. I have been known to put the camera on a tri-pod and literally take a nut/bolt off and take a pic, extreme but that becomes a assembly manual when you put it back together and disc space is cheap. Yeah, I took that many pics back in the days of film too, I learned to shoot B&W and develop myself it was getting so expensive.

I really did not mean to imply that you could not do it and did not mean to discourage you, driving a car that YOU put together is even better than driving just a Ferrari, I just wanted you to think a little first.

It was intended as "cautious" encouragement :)

The lift was a great idea too ! I have 2 they will save your back so you are on the right track. But I notice I have not answered your original question as to how far you should go...I will leave that to more Dino experienced users here.

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I bought my car last April, i had looked at two others all about the same money, I have not got a bottom less pit of cash so i was aware that whatever i bought was probably going to cost more eventually to get to what i call a good standard (not concours) than i would dare to admit to the wife! ( she never tells ne the price of the latest outfit) however i fell in love with 07528 GTs Flares, and my heart ruled my head. The car turned out to be a lot worse than i originally thought and at present is having a lot of metal replaced that was fibreglass when i bought it! I am lucky that the two guys doing the body (one of which has done many cars over many years for me) are very genuine and further more very skilled and proud of their workmanship, which gives me great piece of mind.
    The summation of all the above is that usually when you embark on a project of this nature it turns into epic (but fun and interesting) journey and ends up taking twice as long and costing at least twice as much as you originally invisaged. However the best thing i have come across since the purchase of my car is this website, it gives me a whole lot of comfort to know that out there wherevever in the world, somebody knows where that certain screw goes and how that piece of carpet fits and what the valve clearances should be, and that is PRICELESS.
    My car should be returned to me to put back together in a couple of months time and i shall need this site a whole lot more.
    Go for it we are all with you.
    Graham.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'd start here,

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87888&highlight=dino+restoration

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65766&highlight=dino+restoration

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79263&highlight=dino+restoration

Then read through these, if you haven't already seen them,

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/search.php?searchid=733321

I did a complete restoration on a TR6 some years ago. took 3X as long as I thought it would, and this is for a car where parts are plentiful.

You're going to run into stuff that you can't find, Tom Shaughnessy can help with a lot of that, if he's in the mood. :D

The rest of us amateurs will lend a hand and voice encouragement as much as possible, but taking apart a Dino, restoring it, and putting it back together is not for the weak or timid. I applaud your efforts. But I've seen two or three Dinos in the last couple of years where these projects were started with the best of intentions, but never completed. It might make sense to step back, determine exactly what you're capable of, and then proceed, slowly.

Take on one aspect of the project, finish it, see how that feels, then take a bigger bite.

Just my $.02. If you need a part, I know where lots of them are hiding.

Dave

8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I have owned 3 dinos over the past 25 years. So I do have some knowledge about them.. The car I have is clean, no rust and is not missing any parts. I also have a friend who did all the work on my other Dino's. He was great, but he moved to Ohio from San Diego????????? He is sort of walking me through it telling me where to start and how certain things come off etc. It really doesn't matter how long it takes or what it costs. It's just something I've always wanted to do and I currently have the time to do it. I do go to Ferrarichat everyday and find something usefull. If any of you are in San Diego come by and see what I'm doing you're all welcome to give me any advice or share your horror stories.

9. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    omgjon, you come better equipped than most so you will do fine, just relish the project and take your time. Your off to a great start.

10. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    My son is home from college for the weekend Utah Valley State College. He's going to show me how to post picyures after church. Hopfully I'll have a few pics this afternoon.

11. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    While there are people who can take a car completely apart and put it back together, I prefer to do work in modules. For example, take off the chrome bits, get them rechromed, reinstall them, and drive the car. Take apart the rear suspension, get it powder coated and re-bushed, reinstall the parts, and drive the car. Do work on the interior, reinstall the stuff, and drive the car.

I know people who have taken cars apart and literally 30 years later they are still in boxes because the task of assembling all this stuff is just overwhelming to the non-professional. It is VERY easy to pull parts off of a car and sometimes very difficult to put it all back together.

Also,after a while you can't remember what it's like to drive the car, lose your emotional interest, and send it to a new owner at a big loss.

Jim Oddie

12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I do have a Stradale And 430 spider to drive while I'm working on the Dino. I won't be too deprived of fun driving until the Dino will be done one day. The Dino is the serxiest car ever made. In fact this car was a centerpiece in some kooks living room for years. I get a lot of enjoyment out of just looking and it's beauty and when my wife is not around running my hands over all of it's curves.

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #14 omgjon, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One more picture of me installing the lift. The last picture in the last reply was my album im making of each step incase you were wondering.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Looks like your all set!!! Good luck and were here for you all along the way!
    Erik

16. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Good luck! You doing this along with your son will be priceless. Like some of the boys here have said it wont be easy. But you sorting things out together is what makes it fun. I am sure you will be fine. Lots of good info here on f-chat as I am sure you know.

All the best and PLEASE post pics!

Vasco

17. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    #17 gblue, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Aloha from Maui...that car looks pretty good as it is.....you'll have fun no matter what you do to it..I just got back from there 3 weeks ago where I bought my 1969 206 GT from Jim Sweeny. He had it restored from 1991-1993....15k for engine rebuild, 15k for suspension, wiring, and other mechanicals, and a whopping 60k for every piece of the alloy body and everything else attatched to it brought back to factory. That's 90 k 13 years ago at $45 an hour. At least you can do the grunt work and save at least 50% of all the costs. Have fun..

Gregg Blue..Maui
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    They say 'the camera never lies' and if thats the case it looks like you've got a great car as a starting point!. All the best and keep us posted.
    Graham.

P.S. To Gregg Blue, I love that photo out of the rear of your car.

19. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    You will have fun and it is not a big deal if there is no rust. The idea of taking it a piece at a time is a good one. You will have a "feel" for the car by the time you get into big projects. The Dino is an honest design; everything has a good reason for being the way it is. If you don't understand something, keep on studying and ask for help. Remember, someone put it together and you are going to have to put it back together once you get it apart. Be gentle.

We would all appreciate periodic updates and pictures. One suggestion; Sharpen your pictures AFTER they have been shrunk to size for posting. Use PhotoShop, PhotoStudio or some other higher end photo editing program to do the reduction and sharpening. It makes a huge diference in the apparant quality of the pics. Search FChat for my "Dino Saga 051016" thread for more on posting pics.

Best of luck to the two of you.

John

20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Thanks I will see if I can figure it out.

21. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I second the concern for rust. That was what I encountered when I had mine redone. I can't even begin to imagine what I would have done if I had started it myself and then encountered the rust issues.

I wish you the best.

Manny

22. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Oh, I forgot to mention that when I first read your post, I thought you were my neighbor because a guy down my street came over a few days ago and wanted to get into a Dino with his son. Then I saw your location and name.

What are the odds? :)

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Has anyone done a Dino restoration and removed the fiberglass inner fenders that are glassed to the body.

24. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    omgjon - we should talk. I will pm you.

I am 60 minutes north in Orange County. You and your son should drive up to visit and see my project. I have my Dino completely torn down. By the way, if you would like a new wiring harness, I am the process of building a few.

I have all parts off the car, the car ready for paint, and soon to begin reassembly. If you visit you will be able to assess the scope of the project.

My advice? Jump in. This is a wonderful project in a car that by its nature is not too complex. There are plenty of resources (including myself), Tom C. in Connecticut, and many others on this chat board.

These projects always take longer and cost more than you anticipate. This is not a bad thing. First, I undertake these projects as therapy, not as a business, and hence the investment to value ratio is irrelevant (to me). Second, as the project takes a year or more, the costs associated are distributed over time. It does not require a single large check, but many small ones. Finally, you will drive every car you own differently (better) than you did before because you know how every nut and bolt is used to secure a joint, how brakes work, how engines turn, how wiring is run, etc., etc.

Enjoy the project with your son. I am disappointed (but understand) that my boys have not jumped in (after all, they are a bit younger).

Read the pm.

Jim S.

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Cool - Didn't realize you were repainting the Dino. What color are you going with?