Engine Coolant | FerrariChat

Engine Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mondialmike, Feb 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondialmike

Mondialmike Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike Hunnisett
    Just finished replacing my Euro Mondi 8's coolant hoses and ready to refill.
    What anitifreeze should I use? and what mixture?

My local Halfords store sells some cheap stuff but should I be using the standard AGIP stuff or something similar?

Mike

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Use whatever percentage your owners manual says to use. In my car I use 60% water, 40% coolant but that's just me. I use whatever brand name coolant is cheapest along with steam captured pure water.

Ken

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    For London, agree 60% distilled water and i suggest 40% Mercedes coolant. If you track at all, you might want to also add Red Line Watter Wetter.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I use BMW coolant at 40% with 60% distilled water in my BB512i...

5. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    My favorite Ferrari Dealer uses Peak antifreeze. I notice that Peak now has a permanent antifreeze. May just be good marketing, but worth a try. You do not add any water, and they have the confidence that it will last longer than you will keep it in. I am not sure, however, how completely your system will drain. There may be some residual coolant and/or water to contend with.

6. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Hello Dear
    AGIP is OK, I believe it is recommended by ferrari, it is conventional antifreeze, Just change it once a year and mix it withy 50/50 distilled water.
    L. Der sarkissian

7. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Its not good to have 100% coolant in your system because the water helps act as a safety buffer when you over heat. If something is wrong with your engine be it a broken water pump belt or bad thermostat etc., the water will boil and steam off long before the coolant will and help save gaskets, rings and the like. This is especially helpful in Florida where I live. I do 60% coolant and 40% water. I also use redline and it works good.
    -Nate

8. Mondialmike

Mondialmike Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike Hunnisett
    Ok Thanks for your advice.

9. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    Make sure that you use a phosphate free anti-freeze product. Otherwise you'll get corrosion in your cooling passages.

I know this because I just got through having my manifolds resurfaced because of corrosion causing a vacumm leak. The leak was causing my idle to go up and remain at 2000 plus RPM.

Bob Wassam

10. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Hello Dear
    All antifreeze are phosphate free in europe, but it is not an issue in US.
    OL. der Sarkissian

11. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    I use Evans coolant. It's non-water so no corrosion and no steam pockets around the combustion chambers (i.e. less chance of detonation). It also boils at about 370 Fahrenheit so no need for pressurization (3 lb cap just to keep it from escaping or contaminating). The low pressure is easier on water pumps, hoses, radiators, etc.

If you insist on using regular antifreeze use a major brand that is aluminum safe and only mix it with distilled water (50/50 works fine and is easier to measure) or you can buy pre-mix and just pour it in with no measuring.

I personally don't like water-wetter. Anything that burns your skin like that can't be any good for the vulnerable parts in the cooling system,I figure, but thats just me. Evans is a cool product (no pun intended). check out their web-site.

Wil

12. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    50/50 mixture of distilled water and Mercedes coolant with a bottle of Redline Water Wetter for good measure.

13. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    Does anyone use the No-Rosion coolant additive?I have their technical question and answer sheet and what they have to say about distilled water is quite interesting. They prefer 'softened water'. Their websist is www.No-Rosion.com. It at least makes for some pretty interesting reading. I ordered their product but have not recieved it yet,but when I do I'm going to change all my fluids and try their product. Merle Graham

14. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Merle, i am no expert and have never claimed to be one. That site makes an interesting point against Distilled water, but what concerns me is that their Web site says "Q. What is the shelf-life of No-Rosion?

A. 5 years. No-Rosion should be stored in temperatures between 30o F. and 90o F. The product freezes at approximately 10o F., and boils at approximately 218o F. It therefore does NOT provide freeze or boilover protection when used at recommended dosages.

So it appears to have a low boiling point and not a good freeze point either. What would you suggest for someone like me who experiences ambient temps of -17F for daily drives, yet in the summer the operating temp. can reach over 250F when racing? Your knowledge is very much appreciated.

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Nice car! After some thinking, perhaps the whole 50/50 is a mistake on my part. If you don't mind, here is the basic jist. Stock Euro 1985 308 with Fchat sponsor Nick Forza aluminum radiator (see http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_056.htm ) because the stock radiator was suffering the usual leaks plus the aluminum saves about 15 lbs of weight PLUS Nick's deal is said to run cooler due to more fin area (got it late in the race season to really know for sure).

So, i looked at the Evans' site and this stuff looks good. Real good! So, is the + version really worth it? Do you race the car, and if so how are coolant temps (supply ambient air temps too please). Also, do you have a part # for the low pressure cap that i assume fits the stock rear res.

i am trying to get an idea if i should just dump the 50/50 stuff out of the car, throw out the new bottle of Water Wetter here and just filler her up with Evans.

MANY THANKS as all help is always appreciated.

16. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot

Steve,

I haven't done real scientific testing with the Evans coolant but we have the racing coolant in a Ferrari 206SP that we track at vintage events and haven't really noticed any signifigant temerature differences. We just had the car at Moroso in Florida and the January temperatures were in the 70s and low 80s which are certainly not harsh conditions but we had no problems. The main reason we started using the Evans coolant was to combat corrosion, particularly on magnesium parts, but all the other benefits are hard to ignore.

The standard low pressure caps that Evans sells should fit the 308. You may have to shorten the tabs slightly. I still had a few of the older Stant low pressure caps on the shelf but they now seem to have been discontinued.

You can also just cut coils out of the spring on any new cap and test the results with a standard cooling system/radiator cap pressure tester.

As far as my own 308 goes, I'll find out how everything works this spring and summer. I have an aluminum radiator too but I'm supercharging the car so I'll be dealing with a lot more heat and detonation is going to be a much bigger concern so I'll certainly be running Evans in that. I'll have in the air/"water" intercooler too.

Wil