Enzo and MC12 question... | FerrariChat

Enzo and MC12 question...

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by nopassn, Feb 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    #1 nopassn, Feb 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Both the Enzo and MC12 (roadcar) have the same side intake airboxes with the throttle bodies and mass-air meters - so my question is, on the MC12 roadcar, is the roof scoop/intake functional? I would think the there isn't a throttle body up there, no a mass air sensor, and that if it were unmetered/uncontrolled air coming in it would cause the engine to run pretty lean... can any one shed any light on this?

I'm attaching a couple of pics for reference... also, I have no clue how the MC12 race car is setup, haven't seen any pics of the engine... so for now, I guess this just pertains to the road going MC12...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm pretty sure both have individual throttle bodies (12 in total) below the plenum. The only thing I can see with the MC12 would be the roof scoops provide more air and there's probably a filter element somewhere in there. I'm not sure were the MAF is on either car though.

3. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    #3 nopassn, Feb 16, 2006
    I'm attaching the enzo pic, with labels, for the MAF and TB... will be the same on the MC12... I just don't see how they've got another TB and MAF up there in the roof scoop before it goes in to the upper pleunum with the intake turmpets...

4. cletus

cletus Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    i do not know for sure, have not seen either cars up close, but from the pictures it appears to me the roof scoop may be for engine cooling purposes. i do not think there would be a tb and maf up in the roof, complicates things too much. if you look at the mc12 pic the scoop is not attached and sealed at the bottom, i think it may be for cooling.......it would be easier if i knew what these looked like in realy life and not through pics!!!!

5. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    You got those pics in high res nopassn?

6. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    hell yes...

MC12: [​IMG]

Enzo: [​IMG]

7. gareth t

gareth t Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    south wales
    Full Name:
    gareth thwaite
    remember you dont need a mass airflow meter

you can calibrate the engine of speed/density mapping using a map sensor

8. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    would you still need a TB for that setup? something to control the amount of air? Also... why would you run two MAF and two TBs and then run a different rig/setup for the roof scoop?

9. cletus

cletus Karting

Feb 7, 2006

right....but there is a maf on both intake tubes so an open scoop would not work unless there is a maf and tb at the bottom of the scoop. a pic of the mc12 without the pretty white engine cover would be nice.

10. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I've been looking everywhere for one, but no luck... I think you're right, if we could get a look under the plastic covering it would be pretty easy to tell what the score is.

11. Greenjack

Greenjack Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    The MC12 was designed to be a race car right? They may have just kept the scoop to retain the look of the race car while just running two MAF's and two throttle bodies on the street car, while on the race car, the scoop is actually functional and feeds twelve individual throttle bodies. my two cents.

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #12 Mule, Feb 20, 2006
    Without knowing the MC12 roof scoop function, it was restricted for ALMS racing with an 33mm insert to cut down the size of the opening (seen below). Somehow this was part of restrictng performance, so it must have some function.

"The race car shares most major chassis, drivetrain and suspension components with its road-going brethren, but some parts, like the nose, rear wing, transmission and brakes, have been modified for racing duty. Its engine has also been upgraded slightly to compensate for the ALMS-mandated 33-mm intake restrictor."

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #13 WILLIAM H, Feb 20, 2006
  14. bripab007

bripab007 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Nopassn, you are correct that the roof-mounted air scoop is non functional, as it does not channel air into the plenum through the MAF sensors or throttle bodies. You do, however, have your picture of the Enzo bay mislabeled.

The arrow pointing to what you labeled as the MAF sensor is actually the IAT (intake air temp.) sensor and your "throttle body" is the MAF. The Enzo has a dozen IRTBs (individual runner throttle bodies) inside the air plenum.

15. cabaynes

cabaynes Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Charles
    You are correct.

Here are two pictures I took at the Ferrari Factory last summer to help explain.

Here is the Enzo motor, labeled correctly:

http://udel.edu/~cbaynes/IMG_1212a.jpg (please excuse the spelling mistake, it should be IAT not AIT)

And here is a picture of a 1990 F1 V12 to show you what the throttle bodies look like:

http://udel.edu/~cbaynes/IMG_1140a.jpg

-Charlie