Lost 6 friends in the last three months! | FerrariChat

Lost 6 friends in the last three months!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JSL, Feb 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Man, this really sucks. I've lost six friends in the past three months. Five suffered heart attacks and today one of my very favorite secretaries lost her battle with liver cancer. The guys who had heart attacks were between the ages of 57 and 66. That may sound old to some here but it is way too young! The gal today was just a wonderful and dear woman. In addition, my son had a very serious accident on his motorcycle six weeks ago and is recovering but it is a test of his stamina and faith. Bottom line is this:

Luke 12:16-20
    16 And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop.
    17 He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'
    18 "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.
    19 And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." '
    20 "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'
    (NIV)

James 4:13-14
    13 Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money."
    14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
    (NIV)

We need to live each day as if it may be our last. We never know what tomorrow may bring. I'm very sad today but I know that tomorrow, if I awake, will be another day to tell my wife I love her, serve my employees the best I can, tell my sons I'm proud of them and thank my friends for all they do to make my life so rich. Some here know I'm a person of deep faith and these losses do not discourage me they just remind me that life is a very precious gift that must be treasured and lived to the fullest. I believe that God gave us life to enjoy and that joy comes from knowing Him and loving others with the love He showed us. Thanks for granting me this emotional release. It just struck me that I've just about had enough. One last thing, if you are a praying person, please pray for my daughter-in-law. Tomorrow morning she is getting the results of test that were run over the past few days. There is a growth on her liver. We are optimistic that it is not cancerous. We shall find out tomorrow morning. O.K.- Goodnight and God's blessings on you all.
    JSL

2. sportcars14a

sportcars14a Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    This is a good thread. I will definitely be praying for your daughter in law, what is her name by the way?

Also on the topic of living everyday life. Remember everyday is a gift. We should all stay wise in what we do day to day because we never know which will be our last. The upside to all this is grace and forgiveness from Jesus, with that everyone can be set free.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    People my age dying all around me was the main ireason of my starting a work-out program last year which has allowed me to lose 42 pounds of blubber and reduce my body fat to below 10%

4. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Thanks, my daughter-in-law's name is Kristen. Frank, way to go!

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    My family has had multiple bouts with medical issues over the years. After Crohn's disease, an attempted suicide, alcoholism, a brain tumor, breast cancer and bypasses for both parents, our family has definitely grown closer and learned to appreciate the gift of life that much more. I've learned that telling my dad I love him is far more important than feeling funny about sharing emotions. And I've realized that every day is a gift, and that prioritizing the pursuit of "things" is very un-fulfilling.

Your DIL's in our prayers.

6. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Wow, this thread sure stands out at F-chat...

JSL, I am sorry for your persoanl loss of your dear friends. It really does serve as a reminder to all of us of the blessings that the Lord has given us (and the wonderful memories that you shared with each of these people). I pray that your friends have fought the good fight and finished the race... and have now entered the Kingdom.

We all must be aware of the legacy that we leave behind us when it is our time to leave. I am humbled by what you are going through and how your faith is being tested. I pray that you have strength and endurance during these difficult times.

I will definitely include your daughter in law and your son in my prayers.

Blessings to all of you.

Brad

7. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Thanks all, wonderful news on my DIL. No cancer, liver function is fine, some type of non-troublesome clots on the liver but no worry. I have been asked to do a memorial service for my former secretary (I'm still a licensed pastor), she was a great woman of faith and it is an honor. Live each day my friends! God is very good.

This is not a religious thread or I would ask to have it moved. I do appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I'm sure many of us have lost friends recently, it just seems strange to lose so many. Three were people of strong faith, three were not.

8. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm sorry to hear about your losses..

Why shouldn't it be a religious thread? Scripture can be very comforting!

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    JSL,

Sorry about the loss of your friends. I am very happy to hear about your DIL.

Best Wishes,
    Dom

10. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Thanks for this thread, it means something to me.

In many ways I think the majority of people tend to live life much like we watch a cartoon: in suspended disbelief. From day to day we immerse ourselves with a routine that allows us to take much for granted and just plow along like everything is fine....only to have our world shattered when something traumatic comes along. I think the the most tragic and single greatest trait about humanity is that we capable of taking everything for granted.

Each day is a gift and living in realization of that is to truly live.

Sorry for your losses, best wishes to you and everyone in your life!

- Steve

11. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi
    get the audiobook on I tunes called the Power of Now by eckart Tolle. one of the best things i have ever done. Can transform the way you live your life and I am usually quite sceptical over these things.

Zak

12. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    One of the smartest men to ever really understand our universe, Albert Einstein said " The only life worth living is a life lived for others."

I lost way to many freinds ( young in the prime of their life) on 911....imagine for a moment ..all of us ..never coming home from work to our families..the end. I found myself happiest when I got over myself and did all I could to help those less fortunate, and you won't believe how many there are that need help, any kind of help, from people like us.

13. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Well spoken words NYC..

Brad

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    my thoughts are with you

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    And This Too Shall Pass
    by: Author Unknown, Source Unknown

One day Solomon decided to humble Benaiah ben Yehoyada, his most trusted minister. He said to him, "Benaiah, there is a certain ring that I want you to bring to me. I wish to wear it for Sukkot which gives you six months to find it."

"If it exists anywhere on earth, your majesty," replied Benaiah, "I will find it and bring it to you, but what makes the ring so special?"

"It has magic powers," answered the king. "If a happy man looks at it, he becomes sad, and if a sad man looks at it, he becomes happy." Solomon knew that no such ring existed in the world, but he wished to give his minister a little taste of humility.

Spring passed and then summer, and still Benaiah had no idea where he could find the ring. On the night before Sukkot, he decided to take a walk in one of he poorest quarters of Jerusalem. He passed by a merchant who had begun to set out the day's wares on a shabby carpet. "Have you by any chance heard of a magic ring that makes the happy wearer forget his joy and the broken-hearted wearer forget his sorrows?" asked Benaiah.

He watched the grandfather take a plain gold ring from his carpet and engrave something on it. When Benaiah read the words on the ring, his face broke out in a wide smile.

That night the entire city welcomed in the holiday of Sukkot with great festivity. "Well, my friend," said Solomon, "have you found what I sent you after?" All the ministers laughed and Solomon himself smiled.

To everyone's surprise, Benaiah held up a small gold ring and declared, "Here it is, your majesty!" As soon as Solomon read the inscription, the smile vanished from his face. The jeweler had written three Hebrew letters on the gold band: "gimel, zayin, yud", which began the words "Gam zeh ya'avor" -- "This too shall pass."

At that moment Solomon realized that all his wisdom and fabulous wealth and tremendous power were but fleeting things, for one day he would be nothing but dust.

16. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    And then he wrote Ecclesiastes.

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sorry to hear about all of your tremendous losses in this short period of time. Glad your soon is recouping well.

That was a great writing JSL. You really got my mind thinking for the best in life.

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Could be any one of us---may prayers are with you and your loved ones!!

19. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    All the very best to your daughter in law and your family.

20. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Sorry to hear it, God bless you too,I'll pray for you

21. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The loss of a beloved, be it friend or family, isn't easy. I can relate to that, having lost my mom a couple of weeks ago.

God Bless

22. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I just want to say that it is a great and wonderful thing to see how people, who really do not even know each other, are willing to share a word encouragement, a prayer or a thought. Sometimes we get into some rather strange arguments and debates. But, it is when I read the posts here that I appreciate having a place where we can discuss everything from religion to car lifts. But even more important is that so many people are willing to encourage and uplift another person. I have been encouraged and blessed. God surely answers prayer. My son's wife is going to be fine. I chose to believe that it is because God's people prayed! Thank you all so much. Live life to the fullest, love others until it hurts and serve, life is a great adventure if we will open our eyes and hearts to what God has for us.

Bernie, my prayer is that you will experience the peace that passes understanding and the comfort that comes from knowing God. Peace be with you as you endure the terrible loss of your mom. I'm so sorry.

23. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    My sister in law was diagnosed last Friday with cancer. The doctor asked why she had chosen to wait so long. Of course this was a shock to all of us and the report sounded like surgery would do little to help her. Over the weekend we contacted many of the people we know and asked them to pray for her.

My wife left Monday morning and drove 300 miles to get her and take her to the hospital in Lubbock, Texas (120 miles further) that would do the surgery. Even the doctor said what she would need is a miracle. They did the surgery Tuesday and the doctor reported "I got it all and she will not even need chemo or radiation. She should be well enough to go home within the week. I believe this lady just received a miracle".

We never know what is in store for us. Our days on this earth are but a fleeting moment in time and we should choose to love and serve others in the time we do have. We never know when our "one life" could have something happen in it that will forever change the lives of many.

Who of us ever heard of Edward Kimbell? He was but a single man who befriended another man who was a common laborer. Edward Kimbell was a common man himself who had a good heart and was a strong believer. Through conversations and discussions, he was able to have his new found friend ask how he could "accept Christ". Mr Kimbell stumbled his way through what he knew about the subject and his new friend accepted. His new-found friend was a man named Dwight L. Moody, who went on to become one of the greatest evangelists ever. That one simple life did something that forever changed the lives of hundreds of thousands or even millions.

We never know who we may run across who could be like that new friend. And we do not know if we might not be the person like Edward Kimbell.

Mr. Leonard, thank you for sharing. I have read many of your posts before and agreed with nearly all of them. I joined with you on several discussions a few years back about your license plate bracket. Of course I was not Audiguy then. I went by Jere Dunham then. It is good to hear from you again and I join you in the grief of your losses and the joy of finding out that not all dreadful news if final. Thank God for a good report..........

24. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Thanks James, I'm thrilled about your SIL! God does still work miracles!
    Scott

25. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Great news! :)

Waiting to find out the results of medical tests for loved ones is one of the more horrific times in life IMO. Very glad to hear it was a good outcome for you and your family.